Question for FIDE Arbiters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for FIDE Arbiters

A large open tournament sees an episode occur that causing a serious disruption during the round. Clocks are stopped, games are delayed for a significant amount of time. What are the duties of the arbiters with regard to policing the players and making sure that they don't use the opportunity to consult outside sources? I don't see this covered in the Handbook.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
    A large open tournament sees an episode occur that causing a serious disruption during the round. Clocks are stopped, games are delayed for a significant amount of time. What are the duties of the arbiters with regard to policing the players and making sure that they don't use the opportunity to consult outside sources? I don't see this covered in the Handbook.
    The only incident of that nature that has occurred to me was at the Keres a few years back when one of the players died at the board. I suppose there is some obligation to remind players not to cheat and to try and supervise them but frankly we had other things on our mind. It seems to me that in any such situation that you describe, that it will the case that arbiters and organizers have bigger problems to deal with.

I am reminded of a story I was told about Kopec vs Nickoloff at the Canadian closed. Nickoloff in time pressure (of course) and the fire alarm goes off. Nickoloff tries to stop the clocks and leave but Kopec insists he make his move. Nickoloff freaks out and I don’t know what happened then. I have always thought though, if true, Kopec should have been forfeited on grounds of basic common sense.

Comment

At least once I experienced a power failure during a round and some players had to be moved to an area where there was more light. I don't recall any problem policing players although clocks were stopped for about 10 minutes until the noise died down. The failure lasted about an hour and candles were ready in case it continued after dark.

Comment

Working...
      X