Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brantford CNIB Report

SSunday, August 16, 2009

18 players braved the searing heat, to raise $175 for the C.N.I.B. (Canadian National Institute for the Blind). Brantford's Tyler Ensor, who is visually impaired, won the best unrated prize, winning a copy of Chessmaster 10.

Top prize went to journeyman Tony Ficzere who hitchhiked from Calgary to best Bob Gillanders in the hourglass playoff. Both finished at 4/5, picking up a gold and $20 Chapters gift card and silver and $15 gift card, respectively. Niagara Falls’ John Erickson survived the armageddon playoffs against John Vlasov and Paulo Nunes to capture the bronze and $10 gift card, while John Vlasov netted himself a $5 gift card. Roy Jones also won a copy of Chessmaster 10 for the 2nd place unrated.

Thanks to all participants for making this a successful event

(Nervously awaiting round 1 pairings)
    Randy Fintas, Roy Jones, Ivan Kudelka, Tony Ficzere, John Erickson,
    Paulo NunesAdam Cormier and Rob Knowles

(Calgary Closed, Calgary native versus Calgary resident)
    John Erickson and Tony Ficzere

(Brantford Locals)
    Roy Jones and Christopher Osborne

(Brantford's champion in tough)
    John Vlasov and Paulo Nunes

(Last minute entries)
    John Brown versus Ivan Kudelka

Cont... In Reply
    Last edited by Lee Hendon; Tuesday, 18th August, 2009, 06:58 PM.

Re: Brantford CNIB Report

(This year the CNIB closed, Next year the Canadian Closed)
    Front L-R (Sam Sardinski, Ron Knowles, Adam Cormier, Paulo Nunes and John Brown
    Back Row L-R (Tyler Ensor, Rob Gashgarian, Lee Hendon, John Erickson, Randy Fintas, Roy Jones, John Vlasov, Tony Ficzere, Bob Gillanders, Christopher Osborne and Matthew Mills
    Absent (Ivan Kudelka and Ross Delane)

(The Champions)
    Bronze John Erickson , Gold Tony Ficzere and Silver Bob Gillanders

Movies to follow on youtube shortly

Thanks to all who played Lee Hendon

Comment

Thanks for the report Lee. And thanks to Rob, Lee and the Brantford Club for hosting another very enjoyable summer afternoon in Brantford's Harmony Square. A few more players this month, excellent.

But, don't you think flying a ringer in from Calgary to steal my title is just a little over the top ! LOL haha just kidding Tony, it was great to see you again, congratulations.

Comment

Great event Lee, sorry I couldn't play, the heat was bothering me, went home & cooled off. I like that you used the 'podium' again for the finalist shot, a good tradition :)

Bob I would ask for a steroid test, Tony looked pretty pumped up :)

Comment

Will you guys be doing one of these in September? I really want to make it to one at some point.
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi Chris

Unfortunately we were only given those 2 dates this year to run the charity events, However, with the success of C.N.I.B. tournament we might have the chance to run more next year!

Thanks Lee

Comment

Working...
            X