Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Open - Sept. 1-3

Hi Chess Talkers:

As many here on Chess Talk (CT) know, over the years I have had an arrangement from time to time with the former owner, Chess 'n Math Association, to Blog the tournaments I have been playing in (Usually longer tournaments like the Canadian Open, The Quebec Open, The Toronto International, etc.).

Under the new owner, Henry (Aka Dark Knight), we have continued this arrangement. So most recently I blogged my participation in:

1. 2018 Quebec Open - about 775 views of 5 days of blogging a 9 round tournament (New arrangement reached after tournament had started);
    2. 2018 Montreal Summer Chess Classic - about 375 view of 6 days of blogging a 5 round tournament.

(Note: this is a re-posting of the original blog I do on my personal Facebook Account for my over 800 Fb friends from around the world: https://www.facebook.com/bob.armstrong.9235 )

We are now extending this agreement to cover my blogging my shorter weekend tournaments from the 2018 summer to the 2019 summer. The first one coming up is the 2018 Toronto Open. Since the tournament is at the rate of 2 games per day, there will not be as much detail as I was able to insert into the blogs of my prior two 2018 summer tournaments. But I will be putting in more detail than I have been in the past, when I blogged my weekend tournaments just on my Fb account.

My future blogs will be (Given my current schedule through to next summer):

1. The 2018 Hart House Holidays Open (Prior to Christmas);
    2. The 2019 Hart House Reading Week Open (On the Family Day Holiday Weekend).

Over the years, I have had generally positive feedback, on both my Fb Account, and here on CT, to my blogging. I mainly focus on the section I am playing in (Has been U 2000 or U 1800). I feel that these class sections are often not covered by chess media, and yet, the bulk of chess tournament players are in these classes and under. And many of my viewers have actually played players about whom I am blogging (Ones I play and ones with whom I may socialize during the tournament). So this adds a bit more interest. I do also cover (Bare Bones) the top section standings each blog.

I hope my blogs will continue to provide a window onto class tournament chess, and what this chess player does in tournaments between rounds (A bit of my personal life). I have had feedback that my writing style is easy to read, and often entertaining. It is a find for all us "nosy" chess players!

Thanks for your prior support of my blogs - I do emphasize that I love interactivity around my blogs, and so I encourage comments, questions, observations, etc., and I try to respond to as many as I can in the time available.

I will likely be starting my blog with Blog # 1 - The Day Prior to the Tournament. I usually try to post before midnight of the next day (But sometimes it does not get posted 'til the wee hours of the day following). So I will hope to post it late Friday night, Aug. 31.

I hope people continue to find my blogs informative, and somewhat entertaining.

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Friday, 31st August, 2018, 06:47 AM.

Update - I am on schedule!

I hope to post my Toronto Open Blog # 1 (The Day Prior) around 11:00 PM tonight (Friday, Aug. 31).

I will start a new blog thread for this.

Bob A

Comment

Original posted here in error
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 2nd September, 2018, 12:46 AM. Reason: Original posted here in error

Comment

Original posted here in error
        Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 2nd September, 2018, 12:50 AM. Reason: Original posted here in error

Comment

Congratulations to Rohan Talukdar and Nicholas Vettese for cowinning the Toronto Open (a big wow!) ahead of the "old" favorites IM Noritsyn and IM Samsomkin.

Comment

Apparently Nicholas Vettese was leader (or co leader) for all of the tournament and was undefeated. Congratulations Nicholas! By the way what are you studying? Magnus's games?

Comment

It seems strange calling this the Toronto Open. I guess times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                Congratulations to Rohan Talukdar and Nicholas Vettese for cowinning the Toronto Open (a big wow!) ahead of the "old" favorites IM Noritsyn and IM Samsomkin.
                I can't wait to see Rohan's games. Congratulations to both Rohan and Nicholas. Rohan has been working hard on his chess and it is paying off.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                  Apparently Nicholas Vettese was leader (or co leader) for all of the tournament and was undefeated. Congratulations Nicholas! By the way what are you studying? Magnus's games?
                  Nicholas had a CFC TPR of 2641, scoring 1.5/2 against the two IMs.

You can now play through Vettese - Samsonkin on the CFC Newsfeed here:

http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/1078

Thanks to Marcus and Alex for sending me a photo of the game score, and to Erik Malmsten for sending me photos of the last round.

Comment

Is there more than one game available from the Toronto Open?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      Is there more than one game available from the Toronto Open?
                      I did see bundles of all of the top scoresheets stored away at the club.

Comment

Simple chess. (Just kidding) Congratulations Nicholas and thanks John.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

I did see bundles of all of the top scoresheets stored away at the club.
                          If no one wants to enter them, take them to the Strategy store, and Larry will get them to me.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post

Nicholas had a CFC TPR of 2641, scoring 1.5/2 against the two IMs.

You can now play through Vettese - Samsonkin on the CFC Newsfeed here:

http://chess.ca/newsfeed/node/1078

Thanks to Marcus and Alex for sending me a photo of the game score, and to Erik Malmsten for sending me photos of the last round.
                            I was wondering if the excellent turnout was due to one out-of-town club so I looked at the cities of the players and it turns out that over half were from outside of Toronto, many from north of Toronto:

Toronto Open 2018

Toronto 91 (includes 8 Scarborough, 4 North York, 2 Etobicoke) to non-Toronto 107

Mississauga 20 (11 in U1400)
                            Richmond Hill 17 (10 in U1400)
                            Markham 14 (6 in U1400)
                            Brampton 10
                            Thornhill 7 (is this part of Markham?)
                            Oakville 7
                            Aurora 3 (is this part of Markham?)
                            Burlington 2

Kingston 4
                            Waterloo 3
                            Windsor 3

(Newmarket 1, Woodbridge 1, Vaughan 1)

Compared to 2017 there were increases in both Toronto and GTA(non-Toronto) players. The increases were in the U1400 and U1800 sections.

bottom section to top:
                            2018 73+58+40+26=197
                            2017 62+47+41+28=178

Toronto Open 2017

Toronto 82 to non-Toronto 96

Mississauga 17 (7 in U1400) (+2 Waterdown)
                            Markham 12 (5 in U1400)
                            Richmond Hill 11 (5 in U1400)
                            Thornhill 10
                            Oakville 6
                            Brampton 4
                            Aurora 3
                            Vaughan 3
                            Newmarket 2

Ancaster 4
                            Windsor 3

75 players played both years, 30 from Toronto, 10 Mississauga, 8 Richmond Hill, 5 Markham, 5 Oakville.

I don't know if there is anything useful here for other organizers. I suspect that players from Toronto don't travel as much.
                            Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Sunday, 23rd September, 2018, 06:44 PM. Reason: added spaces

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                              Mississauga 20 (11 in U1400)
                              Richmond Hill 17 (10 in U1400)
                              Markham 14 (6 in U1400)
                              Brampton 10
                              Thornhill 7 (is this part of Markham?)
                              Oakville 7
                              Aurora 3 (is this part of Markham?)
                              Burlington 2

(Newmarket 1, Woodbridge 1, Vaughan 1)
                              Aurora is the town by itself. At this time politically Thornhill is split in two to Vaughan and Markham. The split line is on Yonge. Though, in some cases it sounds like an independent community :)
                              Woodbridge is a part of Vaughan.
                              Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Sunday, 23rd September, 2018, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X