New phenomenon in chess tournaments in GTA and surrounding area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New phenomenon in chess tournaments in GTA and surrounding area

I have noticed the following happenings in the last year or so in chess tournaments in GTA and surrounding area ( CMA and CFC )

1. More tournaments are being organized by more tournament organizers.

2. More players coming out to play ( adults and juniors )

3. Better and more prize funds in most tournaments. It used to be Hart House tournament having the best pay out and the must tournament to play in. Hart House still attracts the most titled players but other tournaments are catching up.

4. More TDs are in the scene as well.

5. Younger kids are crossing CFC 2000 rating earlier than before. We have a couple of 10 years old 2000 and above now.

All the above - Isn't that great for Chess in Canada ? In a way, it also contributes to the coffers of CMA and CFC due to the rating fees paid to them and also membership fee ( CFC )

Hopefully with all the good tournaments, we could groom up more titled players in the near future as well.

Cheers for Chess in Canada

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
    I have noticed the following happenings in the last year or so in chess tournaments in GTA and surrounding area ( CMA and CFC )

1. More tournaments are being organized by more tournament organizers.

2. More players coming out to play ( adults and juniors )

3. Better and more prize funds in most tournaments. It used to be Hart House tournament having the best pay out and the must tournament to play in. Hart House still attracts the most titled players but other tournaments are catching up.

4. More TDs are in the scene as well.

5. Younger kids are crossing CFC 2000 rating earlier than before. We have a couple of 10 years old 2000 and above now.

All the above - Isn't that great for Chess in Canada ? In a way, it also contributes to the coffers of CMA and CFC due to the rating fees paid to them and also membership fee ( CFC )

Hopefully with all the good tournaments, we could groom up more titled players in the near future as well.

Cheers for Chess in Canada
    It is great to see the variety of organizers and sites.

The annual go to tournament was Labour Day at the Macedonian church, directed by Bryan Lamb. Circa 15 years ago, almost all the tournaments were at the Dutton club on Bayview, and he had declining entrants. CMA hosted a couple of futuries there, giving juniors a chance to play GMs and get a title norm. What is missing today is an international open, perhaps in August, or round-robin with foreign GMs.

Comment

One thing the Toronto area is missing is someone to enter games for posterity in CanBase. (besides games from Montreal events - I get hundreds regularly from Quebec City, Winnipeg, and BC - why not Ontario (in general) and the GTA (in particular)?) In the past - Bob Armstrong supplied me with as many games from the Scarborough CC as he could get his hands on. Today - Omar Shah scans some SCC scoresheets every week and I enter them. If you can't afford DGT boards or to provide the GM's and IM's with NCR scoresheets - at least take photos of both players' scoresheets and send them to me. Players like Bator Sambuev simply throw away their scoresheets after their games, so they risk being lost forever.

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/canbaseii.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        One thing the Toronto area is missing is someone to enter games for posterity in CanBase. (besides games from Montreal events - I get hundreds regularly from Quebec City, Winnipeg, and BC - why not Ontario (in general) and the GTA (in particular)?) In the past - Bob Armstrong supplied me with as many games from the Scarborough CC as he could get his hands on. Today - Omar Shah scans some SCC scoresheets every week and I enter them. If you can't afford DGT boards or to provide the GM's and IM's with NCR scoresheets - at least take photos of both players' scoresheets and send them to me. Players like Bator Sambuev simply throw away their scoresheets after their games, so they risk being lost forever.

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/canbaseii.htm
        Hi Hugh,

The work you do with keeping up the CanBase is pretty incredible. I cannot speak for other organizers, but I find myself exhausted during and by the end of each tournament, full of good intentions to input some games, but no actual energy or will to do many, if any at all. I actually still have piles of scoresheets in multiple places, not even sure what got or didn't get published. I got to get myself together and do some one day.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Hi Alex -

If the games are in any sort of order and all important fields (names, round, event, result) identified, you could leave them at the Strategy store in Toronto and Larry will pick them up and get them to me the next time he's in Toronto. Same message goes for other Toronto organizers if you don't want to enter the games yourselves - leave them at the store and message/email me so I can alert Larry.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post

Hi Hugh,

The work you do with keeping up the CanBase is pretty incredible. I cannot speak for other organizers, but I find myself exhausted during and by the end of each tournament, full of good intentions to input some games, but no actual energy or will to do many, if any at all. I actually still have piles of scoresheets in multiple places, not even sure what got or didn't get published. I got to get myself together and do some one day.

Alex Ferreira
            Agreed with the assessment of Hugh's efforts. However, if Manitoba's experience is anything to go by, -it was the creation of a chess culture in which all, or most games, were turned in and recorded. It took time. Plus, the enormous efforts of Jack Woodbury - who combined web master, skilled annotator, English professor and good writer, etc. - who kept up a good website and dignified the collection of games he was building with generous annotations. But it wasn't just Jack. The players had to buy into it, and they did, and i must say that im grateful that my introduction to competitive chess was in such a civilized environment as Manitoba.

There are far too many players who are just as happy to hide their games and aren't embarrassed to say so.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
            X