Mr Makropoulous is using FIDE lawyers to ban Israel from FIDE Membership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Makropoulous is using FIDE lawyers to ban Israel from FIDE Membership

"In his capacity as a Presidential Candidate" , but apparently using FIDE lawyers, Makro seeks to ban Israel, Kenya, Djibouti and Serbia from FIDE membership. Just when you imagine it is not possible to sink any lower, this awful man achieves it. #cleanhands4fide
    https://twitter.com/nigelshortchess/...90678077005840

I am willing to bet that your headline is misleading with respect to the truth of the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      I am willing to bet that your headline is misleading with respect to the truth of the situation.
      How much would you like to wager?

Comment

We are looking into it. So far all I see is Short's claim. There is something going on with Serbia.

If someone were attempting to ban Israel from FIDE it would be very dumb. I am not sure what they would have done to merit such a penalty which was most recently applied to Bulgaria, I believe.
        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 19th September, 2018, 12:10 AM.

Comment

We are looking into it. So far all I see is Short's claim. There is something going on with Serbia.

If someone were attempting to ban Israel from FIDE it would be very dumb. I am not sure what they would have done to merit such a penalty which was most recently applied to Bulgaria, I believe.
          Here is an earlier article on Chessbase that documents Putin in direct correspndence with Netanyahu to support Arkady. As I have said for years, at the highest levels, Russia's involvement in FIDE'S elections is well known starting in 2014 when Russian embassies contacted many federations and in fact the Canadian govt had correspondence last year about FIDE from a Russian embassy as you posted last year on the Chess.ca board. By the way I saved the image of the document you posted last year on chess.ca,
          The fact that a country gets contacted is not a valid reason to ban Israel, Serbia or any other federation including Canada that also received solicitations. The CFC could suffer the same fate if it decided not to support Makro. This is an unacceptable situation and will not be remedied until a Western outsider is brought in.
          https://en.chessbase.com/post/the-ru...-fide-election

Comment

I agree with Sid about the "unacceptable situation... which will not be remedied until a Western outsider is brought in".

The problem is that we don't have a good Western outsider. In the past, person like Euwe had a huge respect from both communist and Western side. Kasparov, for sure doesn't have this respect (as a potential President) as well as Short.

In my opinion, the main problem is the inability of the Western World to produce a good candidate.

I am willing to take some risk and publicly predict that Dvorkovic will win the election, probably in the second round.

In the past, I predicted an easy win to Kirsan against both Karpov and Kasparov, even if I didn't expected such a huge gap in 2014.
            Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Wednesday, 19th September, 2018, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post

Here is an earlier article on Chessbase that documents Putin in direct correspndence with Netanyahu to support Arkady. As I have said for years, at the highest levels, Russia's involvement in FIDE'S elections is well known starting in 2014 when Russian embassies contacted many federations and in fact the Canadian govt had correspondence last year about FIDE from a Russian embassy as you posted last year on the Chess.ca board. By the way I saved the image of the document you posted last year on chess.ca,
              The fact that a country gets contacted is not a valid reason to ban Israel, Serbia or any other federation including Canada that also received solicitations. The CFC could suffer the same fate if it decided not to support Makro. This is an unacceptable situation and will not be remedied until a Western outsider is brought in.
              https://en.chessbase.com/post/the-ru...-fide-election
              That was pretty old news. Its a leap from that to banning Israel. They have no control over what Putin does.

Comment

You mentioned in your earlier post above that "something is happening in Serbia" then you deleted it. Here is a recent article in The Guardian that mentions both Serbia and Israel. Short is too smart to tweet out something that is provably false.
                https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ady-dvorkovich
                Assuming that Makro's shenanigans fail then likely the alliance between Short and Arkady prevails. If Arkady becomes sanctioned for real then Short unlike Makro is a very viable backstop to take over. So this is scenario that would be good. Either Arkady or Short works better then Makro where the chess world would see the same old shit that we have seen for the last 23 years and it is unlikley that the banks would change their stance with Makro in. After all, Kirsan's officially out and FIDE still has no bank account.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post
                  You mentioned in your earlier post above that "something is happening in Serbia" then you deleted it. Here is a recent article in The Guardian that mentions both Serbia and Israel. Short is too smart to tweet out something that is provably false.
                  https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ady-dvorkovich
                  Assuming that Makro's shenanigans fail then likely the alliance between Short and Arkady prevails. If Arkady becomes sanctioned for real then Short unlike Makro is a very viable backstop to take over. So this is scenario that would be good. Either Arkady or Short works better then Makro where the chess world would see the same old shit that we have seen for the last 23 years and it is unlikley that the banks would change their stance with Makro in. After all, Kirsan's officially out and FIDE still has no bank account.

That is what I wrote and it is still there. Nigel Short still would have to win the election. I doubt he has the numbers. The only candidate that would be a disaster would be Short.

Comment

That is what I wrote and it is still there. Nigel Short still would have to win the election. I doubt he has the numbers. The only candidate that would be a disaster would be Short.
                    Ok my eyes are deceiving me with age. It is possible that Nigel Short MAY be a disaster, however, Makropoulos already IS an unmitigated disaster and has been for many years.

Comment

That was pretty old news. Its a leap from that to banning Israel. They have no control over what Putin does.
                      By the way here is what Makropoluos close ally Zurab Azmaiparashivilli has to say about what is going on in Serbia as well as his thinly veiled antisemetic comments about Jews. This is posted on Emil Sutovsky's facebook page.

Zura Azmaiparashvili Dear Emil, if you personally don’t like someone ( maybe Makro?! I don’t know why???) and if you like Dvorkovich ( maybe because he is a Jewish or because you love money:) ) doesn’t mean that such an intelligent boy like you ( or maybe you are not?!) is so blind that cannot see clear corruption case in Serbia (!!!), clear intervention of top level of politicians into business of sports federation ( Putin - Netanyahu case) or “simple” invitation of our African colleagues ( whom Dvorkovich don’t know personally and I’m sure will not say even hello after FIDE election !) to attend FIFA World Cup.
                      Winning election by big majority ( you will see the result on 3rd of October) doesn’t mean that Makro have to close his eyes and forgive everything to anyone who is trying: 1. To buy delegates and federations or 2. To threat them or 3. To press federations!
                      I’d say - Bravo Makro, who is risking his life, yes HIS life and this is not exaggeration because I know ( and you know too!) very well which methods are using friends of dvorkovich from FSB ( KGB) and bravo Emil that you can close your eyes and try not to see anything!
                      I’m sure Makro will win this election and we will try to make FIDE like ECU!
                      If you want to put your stone in this building our doors always will be open!
                      Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Thursday, 20th September, 2018, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I can now confirm unequivocally that I have corresponded with someone that has the 30 page legal documents (not including annexes) where Makro is attempting to ban Israel et al from FIDE membership. If you don't believe it you can simply confirm the follwoing detail in the document with Makro . They are seeking a 1 year "temporary exclusion" of all the federations including Israel that are mentioned. No one that has not seen the document could know this detail.

Furthermore I have correspondence between the Arab Chess Federation (supportive of Makro) and to the head of the Tunisia Chess federation where the fact that Arkady is Jewish is discussed This coupled with the Azmai post above ( the constant discussion of Arkady's ethnicity) and Makro's action of trying to ban the Israel Chess federation as well as Makro's past action of holding important tournaments (most recently in Saudi Arabia) that deny Israeli's visas tells me that this is an antisemetic campaign.

This campaign is promoting hatred against an identifiable group that is illegal in Canada. The CFC as a NFP has no business endorsing groups that promote hatred against an identifiable group. I would like the CFC to confirm that despite this they are going to support Makro. If yes I will be reporting the CFC to the antidefamation league and the Bnai Brith where appropriate legal action will follow.
                        Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Thursday, 20th September, 2018, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I don't think we are going to jump to change any voting plan, based on private correspondence. Not being Jewish, I don't see the constant discussion of AD's ethnicity that you do in ZA's comment to ES. I never would have thought of this as an anti-semetic campaign until seeing your correspondence. I still don't think it is, but I could be wrong. Should several Federations be banned because of visits by Putin, etc this might cause us to discuss the whole voting matter again, but that hasn't happened yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Mckim
                            still don't think it is, but I could be wrong. Should several Federations be banned because of visits by Putin, etc this might cause us to discuss the whole voting matter again, but that hasn't happened yet.
                            I already offered that you contact Makro directly and confirm the contents of the legal document that I just described. That is confirmation that what I say is true. What part of that do you not understand???? By the way mentioning Jews together with money in a mean spirited way is considered antisemetic in the US as was the case in the post above. Furthermore suggesting to a person of Jewish descent that the only reason they like someone is because they are also Jewish is also antisemetic and racist as was done in Azmai's post. Your incredibiy ignorant opinion on this matter is of no relevance.
                            Consider yourself warned!
                            Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Thursday, 20th September, 2018, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Sid. I simply wanted to provide some acknowledgement to your pointed question of us. It's not my role within the CFC to contact Makro, however I assume Vlad or Hal will dig into this and more will come to light before the election. I do apologize if I'm not in tune with the various subtle forms of antisemitism.

Last edited by Fred McKim; Thursday, 20th September, 2018, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X