Mr Makropoulous is using FIDE lawyers to ban Israel from FIDE Membership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Mckim
    I do apologize if I'm not in tune with the various subtle forms of antisemitism.
    I accept your apology although I consider Azmai's post blatantly antisemetic and not just "subtle". I must say however, that it strains the limits of my credulity that that reality is not obvious to you.
    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Thursday, 20th September, 2018, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post

By the way here is what Makropoluos close ally Zurab Azmaiparashivilli has to say [/B]
      I am not going to defend ZA for many obvious reasons though he seems to be imputing anti-semitic sentiment to this Emile individual. I don't know that it indicates that he shares those sentiments though it may be that you have other indications. ZA is no boy scout by any means. Nigel Short has written extensively on this topic.

Anti-semitism is deplorable and foolish.

If there is any hard evidence of anti-Semitism in any campaign we would hope that the individuals in question would be removed from the campaign. I certainly would strenuously object to disenfranchising the Israeli chess federation except on some clear evidence of malfeasance which no one is alleging. A number of our players, have come to Canada through Israel. They have certainly contributed greatly to Canadian chess and chess in general.

This campaign is promoting hatred against an identifiable group that is illegal in Canada. The CFC as a NFP has no business endorsing groups that promote hatred against an identifiable group. I would like the CFC to confirm that despite this they are going to support Makro. If yes I will be reporting the CFC to the antidefamation league and the Bnai Brith where appropriate legal action will follow.
      Short has made posts and articles showing bigotry against Christians, theists and women. Further his behavior towards women is quite objectionable. I am very happy that you have so late in the game come around to the view that candidates who exhibit such behavior have no place running FIDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec
        Short has made posts and articles showing bigotry against Christians, theists and women. Further his behavior towards women is quite objectionable. I am very happy that you have so late in the game come around to the view that candidates who exhibit such behavior have no place running FIDE.
        ZA's direct antisemetic remarks and accusations on an individual solely because of their ethnicity is unacceptable. FIDE policy of holding tournaments numerous times in venues that deny visas to people that are Jewish is unacceptable. Makro's attempt to ban the Jewish state of Israel as a chess federation on the basis that the Israeli Prime minister received an offer that may or may not have influenced Israel's support is unacceptable. The CFC did the same thing last election and they are not being banned.

Short may have opinions about women and explanations of why most have not displayed the same aptitude in chess as most men or may even have flirted with women or found prostitution to be ok. He may even have views on Christianity and Athieism however none of that compares to the above. He has not suggested that any chessplayer not participate because of their religion or gender. May I remind you of ZA's treatment of Anton (anti Gypsy). He certainly does not condone banning entire federations because their governments received offers.You simply are trying to fit a square peg of racism into the round hole of view points and opinions. Trying to rationalize your support of a blatantly antisemetic campaign with an argument of moral equivalency with Short's viewpoints is unacceptable.

When opinions turn into racist actions that is when I have a problem.When a person is accused of something on the basis of their ethnicity as is the case of ZA's comment above that is when I intervene. I appreciate your offer to look into the proof I have offered that Makro as we speak is working to ban Israel among other federations from being FIDE members. However, based on FIDE's past actions and now comments like the above from ZA I have more then enough solid evidence to insist that a racist campaign and more importantly racist actions is not supported by the CFC and to continue to do so will have consequences.
        Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Friday, 21st September, 2018, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Hal Bond has been in contact with Israel Gelfer who is part of the Makropoulos team. He was the one who brought Putin's input to the attention of FIDE. He denies your characterization of the situation. That said, we remain concerned.

I am not going to defend ZA as his actions are often indefensible. I am not going to relitigate 2014's election.

Sid you are so self-absorbed that you cannot see that what Short did to Wesley So is just as bad as the anti-Semitism you ascribe to these various individuals. I guess you share the value system of certain individuals which believe that it is okay to attack Christians. Bigotry is bigotry whether aimed at Christians or Jews. I don't even want to get started on Short's problems with women. Short is not a serious candidate. You seem to be the only one incapable of seeing his flaws. I am sure he is a fun guy. That doesn't make him a good leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post

Ok my eyes are deceiving me with age. It is possible that Nigel Short MAY be a disaster, however, Makropoulos already IS an unmitigated disaster and has been for many years.

I have reread what you posted and you are right that it does not reflect well on ZA. I have no doubt that there are anti-semitic elements among the voters but it seems to me that none of the campaigns can claim to be free of these elements or trying to obtain their votes.

I think the fact that Nigel Short could not land the vote of the English federation is the final nail in the coffin of his campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
              I am not going to defend ZA for many obvious reasons though he seems to be imputing anti-semitic sentiment to this Emile individual.
              Just to be clear for those who don't know, Emil Sutovsky (an Israeli GM) is President of the Association of Chess Professionals (ACP), whose Board voted unanimously to back AD. Apparently this was the first time they had openly supported a FIDE Presidential Candidate. On the other hand it's not clear how much influence that will have on the actual voting delegates.

Obviously it would be difficult for the CFC to support Makro (at least that's my thought), if ZA was on the ticket, dating back to our issues with him from the World Cup.

Comment

ZA is not on any ticket.

Sid continues to make threats of contacting various authorities and making complaints about the CFC on ridiculous pretexts. Reminds me of someone who hasn't been around much lately.

When Sid posted the bit from the ZA / Emil exchange I wasn't sure which Emil he was talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec
                  Hal Bond has been in contact with Israel Gelfer who is part of the Makropoulos team. He was the one who brought Putin's input to the attention of FIDE. He denies your characterization of the situation. That said, we remain concerned.
                  I will accept that if it actually comes to pass that Israel and other chess federations are banned the CFC will reexamine who to support. One thing as I pointed out that it is undeniable is that legal documents have been prepared. to do this.

Comment

Sid, I agree with you 100% that anti-semitism has no place in FIDE and that FIDE should not have events in places which ban Israeli players or seek to enforce women's wearing of garb required for religious reasons.

Comment

Working...
                    X