Olympiad rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympiad rules

The rules for Olympiad are different than for any other event and somewhat complicated. I believe, I explained in once here, I try to do it again.

1. Team points are the most important. Team gets 2 points for match win and 1 point for match draw (2-2).

2. For the tie-break they multiply individual point against a certain team and team point by this team at the end of the tournament. For example, if Venezuela finishes Olympiad with 12 team points (+1), we get 30 tie-break points for out 2.5 - 1.5 victory, Each round adds tie-break points to your final tie-break. The score against the lowest team in the final standing doesn't count.

Usually, opponent from the 1-st round is the lowest one, so our "missing point" in round 1 was not so critical.

3. Unlike in other events, they use total amount of individual points inside the same "team point" group. I hope, this example will be helpful.

After round 2, 41 team won both matches and have 4 team points.

Only Canada and Lithuania have 5.5 individual points, other teams have more.

Our average rating is higher that Lithuania's one, so they go down to play against 3 points team.

We have last position among 40 remaining teams. By swiss rules, in this case the play against #20, that means higher-rated team with 7 individual points.

5 teams have 7 individual points. 2 lowest rated (Algeria and Portugal) are actually below #20, so they play up. We could play against Russia, Czech Republic or India.

Why we got exactly India - I don't know.

Alternating color are less important for Olympiad, so we can have 2 whites or 2 blacks in a row more often than in individual events.
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Wednesday, 26th September, 2018, 04:48 AM.

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    5 teams have 7 individual points. 2 lowest rated (Algeria and Portugal) are actually below #20, so they play up. We could play against Russia, Czech Republic or India.

Why we got exactly India - I don't know.

Alternating color are less important for Olympiad, so we can have 2 whites or 2 blacks in a row more often than in individual events.
    imho, because India and Chile both have played two white in a row already. Normal sorting:
    19 22 India 85w3½ 72w3½ 34b 4 7,0 2724 39 40 Chile 136w3½ 55w2½ 19b 4 6,0 2488
    20 19 Czech Republic 120w4 66b3 40w 4 7,0 2633 40 34 Canada 70b3 56w2½ 22w 4 5,5 2578
    Thus, to avoid www in the India-Chile pair, India and Czech where switched, and as a result Canada - India

Comment

Working...
    X