Does Canada have TWO NEW GMs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Canada have TWO NEW GMs?

Examining the fide.com site just now, and checking the section for international title applications, I found that, apparently, Canada will be getting two NEW Grandmasters!!!! This may be pending each of them raising their ratings to 2500+, as both are in the 2450 range, and a 2500 rating is a requirement for the GM title.

First: IM Raja Panjwani (third norm scored at American Continental, Montevideo, Uruguay, in June, with 6.5/9). Raja is well-known in Canadian chess, and my former student (circa 2000-2004)!!!!

The second recipient was unknown to me until just now: IM Kaiqi Yang, registered with FIDE as Canadian, second and third norms scored recently at Novi Sad, Serbia; first norm Subic Bay Freeport in 2009.

Perhaps someone from the CFC Executive could provide more information about this. Congratulations to both players on their tremendous achievements!!

Hi Frank:

I just know a bit - Kaiqi lives in Markham and plays a lot in the GTA. Most recently he played in the 2018 Canadian Open in Quebec City.

Bob A

Comment

Great news! Congrats to both of them, especially Raja, who played in the Calgary International and taught me a sharp lesson. I even made it to his book.

Comment

Working...
      X