Problem origin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem origin

I've been searching for the composer of this beautiful mate in five I enjoyed solving.Can anyone help me? Also is there a search engine for composed chess problems?
    Problem:Mate in 5. White:Kd6,Nd4,Pd2,Rb2.Black:Kd3 .Happy hunting! Hope to hear from someone.Thanks. Jonathan.

Problem origin

October 3, 2018

White to move and mate in five

Comment

By doing a Google search for "chess problem database", I found a few databases which I tried with no success for your problem. Do you know the author, or date when it was composed?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan MacDonald View Post
        I've been searching for the composer of this beautiful mate in five I enjoyed solving.Can anyone help me? Also is there a search engine for composed chess problems?
        Problem:Mate in 5. White:Kd6,Nd4,Pd2,Rb2.Black:Kd3 .Happy hunting! Hope to hear from someone.Thanks. Jonathan.
        Just wondering if you have searched for the FEN string for that problem? I have poked around creating a FEN string but it is quite a pain to do so... Anyway it might appear online somewhere as a FEN string.

I think this is the FEN for that position: 8/8/3K4/8/3N4/3k4/1R1P4/8 w - - 0 1

lets see:

YUP!
        Last edited by Kerry Liles; Thursday, 4th October, 2018, 04:44 PM.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

First I solve it. Yahoo, my preparation for the tomorrow tournament is done :)

The problem might be constructed by pushing left and right too, thus tried to use those FENs in search. Like

No luck at:
          http://www.yacpdb.org/#static/home (let you search at two databases)
          http://www.bstephen.me.uk/meson/search.pl?type=mat

Maybe it's part of other problem like #7 or something....

Comment

Thanks for the replies.Author unknown.I was shown this problem by a friend of mine who seen it in some book on combinations and mates.He's not sure what book.

Comment

The end position of the chess problem presented by Mr. MacDonald is very similar to the solution to Puzzle No. 70 in Martin Greif's '200 Classic Chess Puzzles'. There the setup is: White Kc6, Ra1, Na4, Pc2, Pe4, Black Kb4; with the stipulation 'White to play and mate in four moves'.

None of the 200 'Puzzles' (chess problems) in Greif's book are attributed. Using the second problem search suggested by Mr.Zeromskis , the originator of Puzzle No. 70 is apparently Alexander George McCombe. It was pubished in 1853 in the German magazine: Schachzeitung der Berliner Schachgesellschaft.

The solution to McCombe's problem is crude compared to the clockwork-like mechanics to the problem given by MacDonald, suggesting that McCombe or another problemist may have improved the work.

A side note: Martin Greif's Introduction to 200 Classic Chess Puzzles is missleading, he repeatedly refers to his collection of 'culled problems' as endgames, and says that by studying and solving them a player will improve at OTB play.

One reviewer who bought the book, and apparently did not know the difference between a chess problem and an endgame wrote:

"all of the positions contrived and unnatural -- they aren't positions that would occur naturally -- so it doesn't improve your pattern-recognition ability. I don't believe that what you learn here translates to real games. I don't know what to do with my copy of the book. I can't use it, but I don't want to resell it or give it away since I believe it's so unhelpful."

He here unwittingly repeats the complaint that many chess players have towards chess problems. Had he been reviewing 'The White Rooks in Chess Strategy' he would have been showering praise on the author.

Comment

Problem origin

October 13, 2018

Congratulations on your research, John. I tried my hand at it and didn’t get very far.

White to play and mate in four moves

Solution: 1.e5 Kc4 2.Rb1 Kd4 3.Re1 Kc4 4.Re4#

Comment

Working...
                X