Counting players in a tournament...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counting players in a tournament...

I had mentioned in another post that the 222 players at the Varennes tournament was not a record, since one player was counted twice, and that there were 221 players last year.

After doing a "recount" - assuming that the chess-results standings are "official", the 2018 event had 216 unique entries that played at least one game (or that do not show up as forfeits in the crosstables), two players that appear in the crosstables in two different sections (counted twice in the original count), and four no-shows. After a recount - the 2017 event had 215 unique players. So 2018 was a record for Varennes (216 vs 215).

In such a player count, should no-shows be included - if they have paid an non-refundable entry fee? I don't know if these four no-shows had paid anything, or whether they had just said they would show up and pay on site.

For me...if you play you count...if you don't play then you do not exist but thanks for your contribution to the prize fund :)

Comment

I agree with Larry. If you don't show, you don't count.

Comment

I think it was a great turnout and you should be praised. Nit pickers will always spoil a great event, because they cannot produce those numbers.Nor can they offer to run a similar tournament.

Comment

Working...
        X