Altibox Norway 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Altibox Norway 2019

    Altibox Norway 2019

    October 11, 2018

    PLAYING FORMAT FOR 2019

    Press release

    10.10.18

    Norway Chess has since its inception in 2013 aimed to increase the commercial aspects of chess in order to bring chess to new fans around the world.

    Norway Chess is the first chess tournament screened on national live television in Norway. Norway Chess introduced innovative aspects to chess tournaments such as the confessional booth, unique playing venues, and commercial sponsorships.

    New format

    We are now introducing a new, exciting playing format. The overall goal is to create a tournament with fewer draws per game, create more excitement for spectators and put more pressure on the players.

    How it works

    Each player will have 2 hours on the clock per game, without any increments.

    2 points will be given for victory, ˝ point for draw and 0 points for loss.

    The players that have games that end with a draw will continue in an Armageddon play-off only a few minutes after their game. The player with the white pieces will continue with white in the Armageddon game. With this, there will be a winner in each game due to the fact that black pieces will win if the game ends in a draw. The winner in the Armageddon play-off gets 1 point.

    The Armageddon games will not add to the rating of the players, only contributing to the results list in the tournament, which is FIDE rated.

    Players will get following points per round:

    Victory main game: 2 points

    Loss main game: 0 points

    Draw main game & loss Armageddon: ˝ point

    Draw main game & victory Armageddon: 1.5 points



    The 7thedition of Altibox Norway Chess will take place June 3 - 15 , 2019.

    http://norwaychess.no/en/2018/10/10/...rmat-for-2019/

    Comments from ChessBase:

    Maurice Ashley - Love this idea! I imagine Magnus was consulted and must have given it his seal of approval. He is on record as embracing any time control because top players always adjust. Innovative and interesting to say the least. About time!!

    Eric Hansen - It's worth a try. I'm a fan

    Matt Phelps - Why do people keep trying to "fix" chess?? There's nothing wrong!! I think this whole idea is stupid. First a clock-smashing blunderfest, then useless blitz games. I guarantee none of these games will go down as "best" games in any collection.

    https://en.chessbase.com/post/norway...ageddon-gambit

  • #2
    I agree with Matt phelps this is going to ruin the tournament two players of high caliber could have a really good game and get a draw but then lose to a stupid Armageddon game and lose the point this used to be a tournament I loved watching and respected greatly but I have to say I'm disgusted by this new format we will see less top talents playing in the tournament

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post
      I agree with Matt phelps this is going to ruin the tournament two players of high caliber could have a really good game and get a draw but then lose to a stupid Armageddon game and lose the point this used to be a tournament I loved watching and respected greatly but I have to say I'm disgusted by this new format we will see less top talents playing in the tournament
      Not sure what you mean by 'lose the point' - the loser of the armageddon game gets 1/2 point for the draw in the "main" game - just as he/she would expect. The winner of the armageddon game gets his/her half point plus a bonus of 1 point for the win of the armageddon game... There may be an issue with the main game being game in 120min (no increment) but using an armageddon to decide who is paired up from the draw is at least interesting. Notice that there is no FIDE rating impact of the armageddon game (as I read the proposal).

      Maybe they should use rock, paper, scissors instead of an armageddon game (I am not a big fan of the armageddon format but it might be fun for the spectator).

      Also worth noting is that this is NOT fixing chess per se; it is tinkering with the scoring system - a worthwhile experiment.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

        Not sure what you mean by 'lose the point' - the loser of the armageddon game gets 1/2 point for the draw in the "main" game - just as he/she would expect. The winner of the armageddon game gets his/her half point plus a bonus of 1 point for the win of the armageddon game... There may be an issue with the main game being game in 120min (no increment) but using an armageddon to decide who is paired up from the draw is at least interesting. Notice that there is no FIDE rating impact of the armageddon game (as I read the proposal).

        Maybe they should use rock, paper, scissors instead of an armageddon game (I am not a big fan of the armageddon format but it might be fun for the spectator).

        Also worth noting is that this is NOT fixing chess per se; it is tinkering with the scoring system - a worthwhile experiment.
        I just don't think is an effective way to run a tournament of this horse power. I missed that time control change too and I also think that is a bad innovation, top caliber players don't want this its going to mess with the system
        this is something you try with a smaller tournament

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post

          I just don't think is an effective way to run a tournament of this horse power. I missed that time control change too and I also think that is a bad innovation, top caliber players don't want this its going to mess with the system
          this is something you try with a smaller tournament
          I guess we will have to wait and see if they still attract the top players they want.

          Comment

          Working...
          X