going international

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going international

I have been thinking about this idea for some time now and was curious about it, as I have no idea of the matter but for me personally I have noticed over the past year and a bit I have been getting exponentially better my rating has gone 500 points higher since April of this year and I have started to consider playing bigger tournaments

but the question I have is where do I start ?? or do I wait longer till I'm maybe over 2000 thoughts? concerns??

You can go to big US Opens on the weekends. Some are closer than others. You'll be not alone from Canada too.
    You might create a travel plan around Europe or its country by playing in various Opens during summer. The format is more relax - one game a day. Thus, should be enough to enjoy surroundings too.

Concern -- travel time. Maybe it's easier to go to Ottawa or Quebec to get different opponents.

Comment

awesome! thanks Egidijus my life goal is to improve chess in Canada so I feel in need to see what it is like out there before I grow whats in here

Comment

Hey Henry, check out the World Opens, Washington Internationals, and Manhatten Internationals in US, good to contrast with Canada. When you decide to try Europe, check out the Vienna Open if they host it again, my favourite tourney there. Also, Spain is always a good choice with tourneys like De Sants, and Badalona open. The Catalunya circuit has international tourneys almost every week. Good luck!

Comment

awesome! thanks mike its good to have some insight on where to play and stuff, will you be playing next weekend at the aurora open??

Comment

The National Open - in Las Vegas every June - in my opinion is the best organized of all the big Opens in the US. Cheap to get to, reasonable accommodation etc. 6 rounds on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and lots of other chess activities.

Comment

or visit the St Louis Chess Club especially when Yasser Seirawan is grandmaster in residence or when they have IM norm tournaments and you can watch the analysis sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                or visit the St Louis Chess Club especially when Yasser Seirawan is grandmaster in residence or when they have IM norm tournaments and you can watch the analysis sessions.
                yes I often watch the tournaments hosted there my favourite was the us juniors championship I love that tournament it is very well run and one of those IM norm tournaments is where I hope to be eventually

Comment

Working...
                X