Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good chess universities???

hello chess talk!!
    does anybody know what the chess scene is like in Canadian universities? I am going next year and just was wondering what it is like.

There's a well run club at McGill...although it meets only once a week there's weekly tournaments and a chess cafe within walking distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      There's a well run club at McGill...although it meets only once a week there's weekly tournaments and a chess cafe within walking distance.
      thanks Hugh ill take a look at it !

Comment

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post
        hello chess talk!!
        does anybody know what the chess scene is like in Canadian universities? I am going next year and just was wondering what it is like.

University of Toronto. Of course my viewpoint is totally bias so take that into account.
        But:
        - Hart House Chess Club
        - University of Toronto represented at the Pan-American Universities in USA every year
        - We send 20+ players to CUCC (Canadian Universities Championship)
        - Lectures by professionals
        - Workshops for beginners
        - Internal blitz / rapid events
        - host open tournaments right at home
        - etc etc etc

I have seen over the years many players get to new chess heights while attending UT. Several (!) players going from 1000 to 2000 rating in 3-4 years.
        Even our most recent IM was only an FM when he joined UT. Many players broke the expert or master level.

However... I have also seen many players spend too much time on chess (and in some programs, any time on chess might already be too much). I have seen people drop out of university, I have seen people extend their stay by one of more years. I have seen people change programs and start fresh, the second time setting chess aside. And there have certainly been some who improve while getting great grades, not entirely sure how they do it!
        In summary... chess as a reason to come to UT can be a very dangerous proposition, and a very slippery slope.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

I didn't think hart house club was the huge! but u of t has been a part of my top 3 for a while now

Comment

Plus they (Hart House) have Alex Ferreira as a life member. Thats huge! (not tongue in cheek)

Comment

Working...
            X