Clear All

• John Donaldson

John Donaldson

October 28, 2018

I have written on retirement from chess:

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...ent-from-chess

and

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...s-quotes/page4

See post No. 55, July 27, 2014 for Mabbs, Kasparov and Adams.

To those, add John Donaldson:

MI Chess Director John Donaldson Retires

International Master John Donaldson, the longest-serving chess director in the history of the Mechanics’ Institute, has decided to step down after twenty years of service. Donaldson considered it a good time to retire when he recently joined Barry Bonds in the 500/500 club (500 games rated over 2500 USCF and 500 USCF rated tournaments directed). He looks forward to playing more and continuing his other chess-related activities.

Like many chess players from his generation John Donaldson became fascinated with the game while following the Fischer–Spassky World Championship match played in the summer of 1972. Not long after it ended he joined the Tacoma (Washington) Chess Club where despite a late start (age 14) he made steady progress earning his National Master and Senior Master titles in 1977 and 1979 respectively. He became an International Master in 1983 shortly after graduating from the University of Washington with a BA in history. He currently has two of the needed three norms for the grandmaster title.

The past 35 years Donaldson has been a chess professional working as a writer, journalist, coach and historian of the game, as well as playing. He has served as the U.S. team captain 21 times including 13 of the biennial Chess Olympiads. Highlights include first-place finishes in the 1993 World Team Championship and the 2016 Chess Olympiad.

He is also the author of over 30 books on all aspects of chess with an emphasis on the history of the game and individual players. Among his best-known works are biographies on Akiva Rubinstein and Bobby Fischer.

(He is the author of The Life and Games of Frank Ross Anderson 1928-1980, Moravian Chess 2009)

Besides being Director of the Mechanics’ Institute Chess Room he also works as a consultant for the World Chess Hall of Fame in St. Louis, and is the Secretary for the Samford Fellowship, which is awarded annually to the top chess prospect in the United States.

https://www.chessclub.org/news.php

Mechanics’ Institute Chess Room Newsletter
    #846, October 26, 2018

A classy way to go. I briefly exchanged words with John Donaldson when he was researching a couple of his books. He is a class act and I wish him the joy of a full chess playing retirement, he has certainly more than earned that. Maybe I will bump into him in St. Louis one of these times.

Comment

A few months ago I attended the Tech Crunch Disrupt conference over the space of a week in San Francisco. I had been to the Mechanics Institute Chess Club back in the early 1980s and looked forward to taking a night off and once again going there. So on a Tuesday night I got there around seven and they were holding there weekly blitz tournament for all comers. As a non member I paid a slightly higher entry fee and even though round one was done i was given a bye and went into round 2. I was matched against a 2400 rated player who played a bit carelessly in our first game and after he hung the exchange I had an easy technical win. Second game he crushed me completely right out of the opening. Next i was matched against a Woman IM who managed to escape with a draw after losing a piece to me in the opening but found a perpetual. Second game she was more careful and had a good win. Next I was matched against the tournament director who called himself "John" where I managed to win in game 1 and he beat me in game 2. Only later after I asked his rating did he say he was an IM and later I realized it was John Donaldson. When we started our two game blitz match i asked him if he was a good player and he jokingly said "well apparently not tonight" after he lost his match against the women IM. I played a few other matches against 2200 + competition that I won but still only managed fourth place out of 25 because I was not around for round 1. I was really impressed with the quality of competition there.
      All in all thanks to John it was a really fun evening and made me want to start going to more Marshall chess club blitz events now that i am back home. No doubt John will be missed by the Mechanic's Institute club.
      Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 5th November, 2018, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X