Chess canada News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess canada News

I think it is time to eliminate CCN. It is no longer a reliable periodical. Maybe it has been eliminated and we just have not received the news ;^).

This is a regular subject on Chess Talk, see here, for example: https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...gazine-Coming=

The editor is clearly not able to keep to any kind of reasonable schedule. Does the CFC executive have any opinion?

Comment

Is the CFC paying an editor during this time of inactivity?

Comment

Why can't we have John Brown as editor?
        We'll get roast-beef sandwiches with every issue!

Comment

As funny as the roast beef comment was (and I LOL'd) we should all consider how much work it is to produce such a magazine. I have done a lot of technical writing in my career and I think I have a good appreciation for the difficulties producing many large publications and the extra work involved in chasing down submissions, special formatting and error-checking makes CCN a serious job.

That said, if a reasonable schedule cannot be maintained it has to go. Sadly, that would leave almost no benefits to membership in the CFC other than:
          admission to tournaments, membership eligibility in some/many clubs, rating services[although that is often an extra charge].

...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

If you made a Magazine with club chess stuff and Canadian events across Canada and Give us the Canadian games of big events like Olympiad then it might be a reason to keep the thing. It would be far more enjoyable than reading stuff that is posted for free on various websites . A Canadian magazine should be Canadian content and should be half French and half English so that all Provinces and Territories could participate. If we cannot produce that kind of a magazine on a regular basis then I'd agree to drop the thing and use the monies to support clubs across Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
              If you made a Magazine with club chess stuff and Canadian events across Canada and Give us the Canadian games of big events like Olympiad then it might be a reason to keep the thing. It would be far more enjoyable than reading stuff that is posted for free on various websites . A Canadian magazine should be Canadian content and should be half French and half English so that all Provinces and Territories could participate. If we cannot produce that kind of a magazine on a regular basis then I'd agree to drop the thing and use the monies to support clubs across Canada.
              My own suggestion would be to have two parallel publications: make the current CCN a quarterly, but add a second "newsletter" which is briefer, less in-depth, and focuses on tournament announcements, recent tournaments, and club-level events/activity. It could also feature one or two lightly annotated games from various events.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post

My own suggestion would be to have two parallel publications: make the current CCN a quarterly, but add a second "newsletter" which is briefer, less in-depth, and focuses on tournament announcements, recent tournaments, and club-level events/activity. It could also feature one or two lightly annotated games from various events.

Steve
                I like this idea. Not sure the total amount of work involved would be less - most likely more since CCN seems to already be at best a 'quarterly' publication...
                As for the suggestion about English & French - unless the editor is bilingual, a lot will depend on the submission of articles or game commentary submitted in French. I suspect that the volume of that might be lower than the current submissions in English, so that might make things problematic. Translation from English <--> French would add time and cost, so I might start with publishing whatever is submitted in either language and continue to encourage submissions. Speaking of submissions, is there an honorarium paid for IMs/GMs to submit annotated games or 'articles' or anything?
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Why does the French have to be translated. If the french speaking Provinces or territories want to submit in their mother tongue then they have every right to, Chess is chess and the moves are the same in what ever language. If you cant understand french then pop the article in translator. I think you are paying too much for stuff that can be found anywhere online for free. What can't be found is club games the old submissions from club events. That's what should be a Canadian Magazine.. Sreve's idea would be too costly. Just scrap the international stuff and just concentrate on club and Canadian content. Make it shorter and send it out on time.
                  Otherwise scrap it.

Comment

The Canadian Chess Newsfeed is updated at least once a week with Canadian Content
                    http://chess.ca/newsfeed/

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      Is the CFC paying an editor during this time of inactivity?
                      The CCN Editor is paid a fee per issue and a monthly fee for the Newsfeed.

Comment

There appears to be a breakdown in communication---nothing new in the Kafkaesque world of the CFC. The original intent of the electronic magazine was to combine a periodic deep report on major events, particularly involving Canadians, coupled with a newsfeed that would give members real time, or close to real time, reporting on events as they unfold. As far as I am concerned, that is being done. I get my current news from the newsfeed in a much more timely fashion than ever before. Meanwhile, from time to time, I receive an extraordinarily deep (perhaps too deep, but the editor is a perfectionist!) analysis of major events with commentary from the Canadian participants. Mark me satisfied with value for money.

Comment

Working...
                        X