X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CYCC surplus - funding a coach for the WYCC

CYCC surplus - funding a coach for the WYCC

Copied from a previous post on Chesstalk

In the interest of transparency .... I just sent a cheque for $17725 to the CFC. This amount is $125 per player or $150 per player for late entry and includes an additional $900 donation from the Victoria Junior Chess Society. The commitment for travel is $1000 for each section except U16 G which as part of a combined section will receive $500. That comes to 11,500 which leaves a surplus of $6225. I agree with you that a good coach is a priority for the team. I asked for a WYCC/CYCC donate button to be added to the CFC site last year. Maybe that can be done to raise a little more cash to make a coach a reality for Team Canada. Brian Raymer CYCC Chief Organizer

A further note. I am not sure that everyone knows that the CFC is a charitable organization. I think it should be possible for parents or anyone else to make a targeted donation toward a coach for the WYCC. Combined with the $6225 surplus from this year's CYCC it should be possible to find a good/suitable coach.

Another suggestion is for people with aeroplan miles to contribute an air ticket toward players and/or a coach traveling to the WYCC in Turkey. Aeroplan miles now expire if unused.

Brian Raymer

Re: CYCC surplus - funding a coach for the WYCC

I congratulate the Victoria Junior club for it's donation. A wonderful example. Last year we did add items in the store for donations to be specifically directed towards the Youth program (WYCC). Unfortunately, no donations were forthcoming. Nevertheless, I am sure donation cheques mailed and directed to the WYCC costs will be greatly appreciated.

Your surplus calculation is a little overstated. There are costs other than just travel that need to be covered. Also, it has been customary in surplus years, to retain some surplus to cover future possible deficits.

Comment

Hi Bob:

I think some people may be nervous about CFC holding the CYCC surpus.

Didn't we have a large CYCC surplus disappear a few years ago when the CFC was in financial difficulty ( I'm not totally sure of my facts on this ). I thought the CFC grabbed the surplus and spent it on general expenses because they had a cash crunch.

Somewhere I remember someone saying that now the CFC has been directed by the governors to hold the surplus in a separate account, that is to be held inviolate. Is this true?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi Bob:

I think some people may be nervous about CFC holding the CYCC surpus.

Didn't we have a large CYCC surplus disappear a few years ago when the CFC was in financial difficulty ( I'm not totally sure of my facts on this ). I thought the CFC grabbed the surplus and spent it on general expenses because they had a cash crunch.

Somewhere I remember someone saying that now the CFC has been directed by the governors to hold the surplus in a separate account, that is to be held inviolate. Is this true?

Bob
        Duh...I simply don't get it! The CYCC was not only self-financing but it generated a profit of thousands of dollars. In previous years (in modern history anyway) the champions had their airfare covered to the world event. Now they get a fixed amount of $1,000....which I doubt will cover anyones airfare to Turkey. Now parents are being asked to contribute for a coach. What's wrong with this picture?

Oh wait a second...I think I understand the thought process now. If a parent is willing to spring thousands of dollars up to that point...then... :)

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
          Duh...I simply don't get it! The CYCC was not only self-financing but it generated a profit of thousands of dollars. In previous years (in modern history anyway) the champions had their airfare covered to the world event. Now they get a fixed amount of $1,000....which I doubt will cover anyones airfare to Turkey. Now parents are being asked to contribute for a coach. What's wrong with this picture?

Oh wait a second...I think I understand the thought process now. If a parent is willing to spring thousands of dollars up to that point...then... :)
          word to the wise, I have a good friend from Turkey at work, he says he has nothing but trouble with Turkish airlines when he travels with them & he travels regularly

Comment

Working...
          X