World Youth 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Youth 2005

Some of you may remember how poorly this event was organized. Jean-Paul Touzé of France was in charge but ultimately FIDE was responsable. In my mind, FIDE was negligent in not making sure that Touzé could actually pull off a first class event...they simply assumed he could...and when they started having doubts...it was too late.

Anyway, after the event, FIDE sanctioned Touzé from organizing FIDE events for 5 years (which I believe was later reduced to 3 years). Touzé then took FIDE to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. They recently concluded that although Touzé had not proved that the sanction against him has caused him financial loss and must therefore be rejected, the costs of appearing before the arbitration board would be born 80% by FIDE and 20% by Touzé. Here are the key paragraphs of the decision which was handed down at the end of July (Full document is at fide.com)

85. It is clear that in deciding to issue a formal decision against Mr Jean-Paul
    Touzé and publish this on its website, FIDE took steps which gave rise to this
    case, which has resulted in almost 4 years of exchanges of documents,
    questions and legal proceedings. The question can of course be raised as to
    whether this publicity was justified, which was probably intended to pacify the delegations who were disappointed by the way the Championship was
    organised.

86. This long and laborious legal dispute could have been avoided if FIDE had
    immediately clarified any ambiguity after the initial intervention by Mr Jean-
    Paul Touzé, who only attempted to exercise his right to let his side of the story be heard, which FIDE seemed willing to allow, while in fact it put obstacles in the way of this. In fact, it invited Mr Jean-Paul Touzé to present his case to the Ethics Commission, which never replied to him and which proved to beincompetent. In the extension of this case, CAS 2006/A/1163 Mr Jean-Paul Touzé versus FIDE, the appellant requested the Respondent on 16 November2007 to allow him to address the next General Assembly. In a reply, on 14November 2008, he was only invited to attend the next General Assemblywith 10 days’ notice, and it was to be held in Germany, which made it impossible for him to prepare his defence properly.

87. In view of the facts considered above, and even though this appeal must be rejected, 80% of the costs of these arbitration proceedings shall be paid by FIDE and 20% by Mr Jean-Paul Touzé. The final account of the costs of these proceedings will be prepared by the Court Office of the CAS and sent to the parties later.

88. In accordance with Article R64.5 of the Code of Sports-related Arbitration and or the reasons explained above, each party will pay its own costs.

Tribunal Arbitral du Sport CAS 2009/A/1762 Jean-Paul Touzé versus FIDE 21
    Court of Arbitration for Sport

Re: World Youth 2005

In essence, from reading it (and almost going to sleep), the court said:

a) Touze did not demonstrate that he had suffered any specific loss, despite being asked to do so.

b) Touze did not demonstrate that FIDE was in any way obligated to enter into a contract with him on anything; essentially FIDE was well within its rights to choose with whom they dealt.

c) FIDE was obstructive with they way they handled the matter with Touze (not replying to letters, "undated" letters, etc.). Had they handled things in a more normal way, the matter never would have landed in the court's lap and wasted the court's time.

Steve

Comment

Larry, the Canadian angle on this was never properly dealt with either. Not only did the Canadian contingent have to deal with the terrible conditions, they also had to deal with an incompetant travel agency ( Flight Center Cambridge - agents name Jasmine - use at your own peril ). Patrick dropped the whole thing, just hoped it would go away after a few empty promises to take care of things.

It was certainly ridiculous that the CFC never told families the commuting requirement for their players prior to arriving at the actual event. This was extremely negligent. For example, how many Canadian players would attend an event in Toronto, if the accommodation they paid for was a Comfort Inn ( or much less for some ) in Guelph. The mileage those kids put in those two weeks was ridiculous. Never mind the fact the chess facility itself wasn't appropriate.

I've noticed that some Canadian organizers are making a good effort to improve the CYCC the last few years. But it is impossible to totally overcome the costs of a few bad years; note the complete lack of taking responsibility that chess organizers take concerning Belfort. Those who are new and wish to roll the die on FIDE/CFC again you take your chances.

Those who want quality coaching at WYCC well most years this is not provided. You get a captain to do the formalities, and any coaching is according to the whims of that person.
      The best coach in our years was Irwin Lipnowski, simply because he gave up his time willingly and tried to help all the players without any bias.
      Last edited by Duncan Smith; Sunday, 23rd August, 2009, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
        The best coach in our years was Irwin Lipnowski, simply because he gave up his time willingly and tried to help all the players without any bias. He truly cared about the kids.
        Irwin played junior chess for many years. As I recall, there was only one year I know about when he played the Manitoba Junior and didn't win. His name was on the trophy so many times they probably let him keep it.

Back then there were several players at the local club who helped out the junior players. I was taught European style by a couple of the guys. I seem to recall Jack Woodbury directed at least one event in which I played. He was always nice to the kids.

There was a good bunch of juniors in Manitoba back then. One won the Canadian Junior Championship. One of my good friends from my junior days, Ole Hellsten, has done a lot of work with junior players from what I have heard.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Duncan, here is a very interesting article by Irwin I found on the internet. The first part gets into the junior aspect of chess and the contributions the older players made to training younger players in Winnipeg about a half a century ago.

http://www.chess.ca/Yanofsky/yanofsky/lipnowski.html
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
          X