Getting Children to Take Their Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Children to Take Their Time

I am starting to wonder - is getting children to take their time on their moves an actual possibility or is it a theoretical nice-to-have that doesn't actually happen?

The van Delfts in their training manual made the remark that children rush their moves because they exhaust their thinking. They don't know what to think about and, therefore, see no need to take any more time on a move. They have to be trained to develop thinking algorithms, eg, CCT (examine all checks, captures and threats) or "Is it safe?" wrt their own moves, or "Why did my opponent make that move?" etc etc.

see Developing Chess Talent by Karel and Merijn val Delft, KVDC. I ordered an e copy and printed it. A good book.
    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
      I am starting to wonder - is getting children to take their time on their moves an actual possibility or is it a theoretical nice-to-have that doesn't actually happen?
      It takes time. It will not happen over night or over one game.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

It takes time. It will not happen over night or over one game.
        Thanks Nigel and Egidijus.

Comment

Just an observation: in my experience some children learn very slowly to take their time, and others never seem to learn to take their time. I guess impulsive adults have to come from somewhere(?)
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
          X