Sad News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad News

I just learned from the grape vine that Cafe Pi in Montreal will be closing. Montreal is the only city in North America (as far as I know) that has a chess café...in the seventies every major city had one...but as rents went up...and interest went down...they all closed. Today what is popular is game cafées. Toronto is famous for Snakes & Lattes with 8,000 sq ft.

The Chess'n Math Association has space in our building on St. Denis for this kind of activity...maybe we can revive this...

What a chess cafe needs is atmosphere and an interesting character in charge, preferably a man of the world with colour and penache. Now that you are retirement age Larry you could take it on, play a little speed chess (with stakes under the table so to speak) relax and enjoy. Classical music helps and Bobby Fischer reruns. Maybe Eric Hansen could do brief cameos and add a live stream from the cafe to his chessbrahs site.

Comment

I am happy to report that someone has stepped forward and Cafe Pi will reopen at the same location in January 2019...more details to follow...a big plus for chess in Montreal!

Comment

Working...
      X