2019 Canadian Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Canadian Open

Canada's most prestigious international chess tournament comes to Regina, Saskatchewan this Summer! Check out the link below for details and registration.

incredibly expensive compared to last years prices

Comment

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post
      incredibly expensive compared to last years prices
      Agreed. The Quebec Open charges half the price - and as long as it's on the island of Montreal - consistently gets 250-300 players. For the 1994 Canadian Open, the entry fee was $75 - and there was still a $15k prize fund. Many of us don't care about the prizes - but entry fees have gone up so high that it's not worth the price just to play for fun. And let's go back to a one-section Canadian Open.

Comment

Hi Hugh:

I would agree to one-section Canadian Opens IF, when entry is over 250, double accelerated pairings are used.

There seem to be to fairly strong sentiments in Canada about accelerated pairings for large tournaments - some for; some against.

What do CT members think about my proposal - fire away if it upsets you!!

Bob A

P.S. I just wrote to the Can. Op. organizers re their "Refund Policy" - I could find nothing on their tournament website. I will post the reply here in due course.

Comment

I think it is a good idea to have a ONE section to starve off sand baggers

Announce the class prizes based on the actual entries received when the tournament begins. That way, nobody can try to sand bag to win their class prizes or the sections.

Double accelerated pairings is a very good idea.

Gary

Comment

We should not hijack the 2019 Can Open thread - sorry that I did that.

I have now started a new separate thread for the 2020 Can. Open, and suggestions to the eventual bidders re it.

So please just post here now on the 2019 Can. Open. Please go to the 2020 Can. Op. thread for ideas re future Canadian Opens.

Thanks.

Bob A
            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 25th November, 2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
              I think it is a good idea to have a ONE section to starve off sand baggers

Gary
              Having one section does nothing about sandbaggers if there are class prizes. You may want to rethink your logic.

Personally, I much prefer sections to avoid excessive rating differences between my opponents.

And as for comments by others about the EF, I personally find the EF completely reasonable. Comparisons of attendance in Montreal to likely attendance in Regina are unreasonable and/or dreaming. And for those who think a low EF is better than a significant prize fund, yes - you could run a Canadian Open with a $1000 prize fund in the cheapest possible venue and keep EF low but that would be severely criticized.

The minus one penny on the entry fee is a little odd though.

Comment

2019 Can. Open (Regina) Refund Policy

I received the following email today (18/11/25) concerning the above:

"Hello Bob!

We offer a 100% refund before June 12, 2018 (including ticket fees), and a 50% refund afterwards.
                You are allowed to upgrade your section if your rating changes between now and the event start date.
                Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I'll be sure to update the website to reflect this. We hope to see you there!

-Tom Boshoff"

NOTE: I am sure the deadline date is a typo and should be: "... before June 12, 2019...."

Bob A

Comment

When you factor in the cost of travel and accommodation, this year's CO & CYCC will actually be quite a bit cheaper than usual.

Hotels and accommodation is very cheap in Regina compared to Quebec or Ontario. We're negotiating primary hotel rates between $110-$140/night. Compare that to the cost of Quebec's $180-$400/night hotels.

SK is also central, which decreases the average distance and cost of travel.

Our refund policy and section policy have been updated on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Boshoff View Post
                    When you factor in the cost of travel and accommodation, this year's CO & CYCC will actually be quite a bit cheaper than usual.

Hotels and accommodation is very cheap in Regina compared to Quebec or Ontario. We're negotiating primary hotel rates between $110-$140/night. Compare that to the cost of Quebec's $180-$400/night hotels.

SK is also central, which decreases the average distance and cost of travel.

Our refund policy and section policy have been updated on the website.
                    sorry wasn't trying to bash! it makes sense for an increased prize fund,

Comment

I don't think that you were bashing Henry. I also think that it is very expensive for kids & parents from Ontario to attend CYCC 2019.
                      I did a quick calculation and it would cost between $2500-$3000 for one parent and a kid to attend CYCC 2019. ($1500 flight tickets for 2, $225 to $275 registration fee, 6*$120 hotel, $300 meals).
                      Some parents I spoke to, expressed interest to go directly to the World Championship in Nagpur, India or to World Cadet Championship in Weifang, China and skip CYCC altogether.
                      They will have to spend extra for accomodation and food comparing to CYCC expenses, but kid would get a chance to play World Championship.
                      My prediction is that CYCC attendance will be lover than what was in Quebec City this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X