2020 Canadian Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking with a TD in Europe, Spain often uses an acceleration system of dividing into 2 groups:
    top half get 1 ghost point for rds 1 and & 2,
    then reduced to a half ghost point for rounds 3& 4.
    There are some imbalanced pairings in rd 5 but it helps somewhat for norms and eliminates perfect scores quicker.

Comment

Re: 2020 Canadian Open - sponsorship and publicity

I'd be happy to organize the 2020 Canadian Open Championship (or any other year) in Toronto. All you have to do is get me $50,000 in sponsorship. If you think that's easy, never mind, I have a bigger challenge for you: $4M to host the World Championship; and $25M to host the Olympiad. But it's not easy, for two reasons:

1. We rarely get publicity or visibility for chess in Canada, so potential sponsors get nothing for their money.

2. We don't know our own demographics, so potential sponsors don't know who we're asking them to advertise to.

I've done my bit over the years, tried to get some publicity with the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame and the Canadian Chess Player of the Year. Your turn. Here's two specific tasks you can do to address these points:

1. 2022 will be the CFC's 150th anniversary.

Come up with some publicity and event ideas (and how to fund them). My idea is a postage stamp for chess. As a first step, we had a stamp cancel at a recent Quebec Open. Now let's go for the stamp itself - we've never had one (other than Roger Lemelin). Please write to the Stamp Advisory Committee (see Canada Post web site) explaining why chess is important in Canada. Some facts which you can add: approx. 2,000 postage stamps have been issued on a chess theme by over 125 countries; of these, 19 stamps have been issued to mark a Chess Federation's anniversary in 8 countries on 9 occasions (see below).

2. Fund a survey of chess in Canada

A formal poll is needed to determine the percentage of Canadians who know how to play chess; and the percentage who play at least once per year. What are their demographics?

The CFC should know the demographics of its own membership. Volunteers would have to put together a membership survey; I doubt they have resources to tackle anything major on their own.

Regards,

David

David Cohen
      Toronto

P.S.

Regarding sections: 2011 worked well with Open, Under 2000, Under 1600.

http://www.canadianchess.info/2011_canadian_open

P.P.S.

2012 Croatia - 100th anniversary Croatian Chess Federation
      2004 Cuba - 80th anniversary Cuban Chess Federation (3 stamps)
      2005 Ecuador - 25th anniversary Ecuador Chess Federation
      2004 Jersey - 100th anniversary British Chess Federation (6 stamps)
      1981 Luxembourg - 50th anniversary Luxembourg Chess Fed.
      2006 Luxembourg - 75th anniversary Luxembourg Chess Fed.
      1989 Morocco - 25th anniversary Morocco Chess Federation (4 stamps)
      1963 Nicaragua - Nicaraguan Chess Federation (Fenanic)
      2014 Norway - 100th anniversary Norwegian Chess Federation

Comment

2020 Canadian Open - Mississauga

There's two things I don't like about the 2020 Canadian Open Championship bid from Mississauga.

1. One Section / Pairings

One section works for a small turnout. In 1984, I organized the Canadian Open in Ottawa, with 144 players. I had one section. I think I used accelerated pairings for rounds 1-3.

For Mississauga, in the Greater Toronto Area, a larger turnout should be aimed at. Here, the best way to have players face competition at their own level or slightly higher is sections. In 2011, I organized the Canadian Open in Toronto, with sections for Open (152 players), Under 2000 (76 players), Under 1600 (52 players), total 280 players. If a player wants stiffer competition, then let them move up to a higher section.

2. Sponsorship

The budget, available via the CFC web site, budgets quite a lot of money from sponsorship. It's not been secured. Therefore, if it falls through, someone's going to lose a lot of money.

On the bright side, it looks like they've built a good team with lots of community support. Also, they have a year and a half to secure the funding.

Regards,

David

David Cohen, IA
        Toronto

Comment

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
          2020 Canadian Open - Mississauga

There's two things I don't like about the 2020 Canadian Open Championship bid from Mississauga.

1. One Section / Pairings

One section works for a small turnout. In 1984, I organized the Canadian Open in Ottawa, with 144 players. I had one section. I think I used accelerated pairings for rounds 1-3.
          In 2010 Canadian Open was organized in Toronto and attracted ~260 players in one section. In 2011 same place had ~270 in multi sections. Seems players overall don't care much about one section or multi. They just want to play. There will be always who will come at -talks and will complain LOL

I think 2010 had a great youth championship too in Richmond Hill. (of was it in 2011?)

Comment

Hi Egis Zeromskis:

I went to the CFC Forums website and checked for the Fall 2018 Voting members Meeting - it is not listed in the Archives: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/forum.php

I could find nothing referring to the Mississauga 2020 Canadian Open bid to the CFC.

Would you be able to post here the bid for all to see (Whether it is not yet accepted, and even if it is still subject to futher change before CFC Voting Members vote on it - you can make a note if it is only in a sense, still a preliminary draft)?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Hi Egis Zeromskis:

I went to the CFC Forums website and checked for the Fall 2018 Voting members Meeting - it is not listed in the Archives: http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/forum.php

I could find nothing referring to the Mississauga 2020 Canadian Open bid to the CFC.

Would you be able to post here the bid for all to see (Whether it is not yet accepted, and even if it is still subject to futher change before CFC Voting Members vote on it - you can make a note if it is only in a sense, still a preliminary draft)?

Thanks.
              http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...Mississauga-ON!
              the announcement. The meeting is a little bit hidden but visible too (sorting is lost).

Comment

Thanks Egis.

2020 Canadian Open (Now Finally Approved by CFC)

CFC Post by Vadim Tsypin, CFC Publicity Coordinator - 18/9/17:
                "The 2020 CYCC / CO is awarded to Mississauga, ON!

Exciting news:

On 2018-09-16, the CFC Board of Directors unanimously voted to accept а bid for the 2020 Canadian Youth Chess Championships and the 2020 Canadian Open that was presented to the last AGМ by Elevate My Chess and its partners.

Mark your calendars for July 2020."

Details of the Bid:

Executive Summary - Date - July 15 (Wed.) – 22 (Wed.), 2020

Tournament Format - Reason for Dates: These dates are selected:

a) to benefit from a late start of Quebec Open (July 25, 2020) that would allow strong players to move seamlessly from Toronto to Montreal;
                we intend to collaborate closely with the FQE in providing conditions for overseas GMs who would take part in both Canadian Open and Quebec Open;

b) to avoid conflicts with the Continental Chess Association’s World Open and FIDE America’s PanAm Youth, thus ensuring that all competitive Canadian players have a chance to play in the CYCC/CO.

Venue: Paramount Fine Foods Centre

Format: One Section Swiss
                Pairings - accelerated in the first two rounds
                Rounds - 9
                Rating - CFC & FIDE
                Arbiter - IA-elect Vadim Tsypin
                Time Control - 40/90 + SD/30 (30 sec. increment from move 1).
                Entry Fee - $ 225

Hi Egis: I am really pleased to see a One Section 2020 Canadian Open, with accelerated pairings.......congratulations to the bidding committee.

Question: Would you please describe what you mean by "acceleration in the first two rounds" and how it will operate (Ex. ghost points and when removed?)?

Thanks.

Bob A
                Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Saturday, 1st December, 2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks Egis.

2020 Canadian Open (Now Finally Approved by CFC)

CFC Post by Vadim Tsypin, CFC Publicity Coordinator - 18/9/17:
                  "The 2020 CYCC / CO is awarded to Mississauga, ON!

Format: One Section Swiss
                  Pairings - accelerated in the first two rounds
                  Rounds - 9

Hi Egis: I am really pleased to see a One Section 2020 Canadian Open, with accelerated pairings.......congratulations to the bidding committee.

Question: Would you please describe what you mean by "acceleration in the first two rounds" and how it will operate (Ex. ghost points and when removed?)?

Thanks.

Bob A
                  I really hope that the organizers change their mind about 2 round acceleration and choose the newer, FIDE-approved Baku system. The reason we fiddled in the 2010 Canadian Open is that with only 2 rounds of accelerated, the third round is a mess with pairings with large rating differences. Well, fiide has solved that and now recommends that the 5-round Baku acceleration be used:

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...4&view=article

C.04.5.1 Baku Acceleration

4. Virtual points

The "accelerated rounds" are the ones in the first half (rounded up) of the tournament.
                  Before pairing the first half (rounded up) of the accelerated rounds, all the players in GA are assigned a number of points (called virtual points) equal to 1.

Such virtual points are reduced to 0.5 before pairing the remaining accelerated rounds.
                  Note: Consequently, no virtual points are ever given to players in GB, or to any player after the last accelerated round has been played.

Example: In a nine-round tournament, the accelerated rounds are five. The players in GA are assigned one virtual point in the first three rounds, and half virtual point in the next two rounds.

The analysis for this in 2015:
                  http://www.academia.edu/29727409/Accelerated_Pairing

This system gives the most chances for IM norms and 81.5% of games are within 200 rating points versus 73.9% for a non-accelerated Swiss.

Comment

Erik:

Thanks for such an informative post .......... I'm sure Egis is listening.......at least I hope so.......and I hope that he/the Committee has the freedom to implement this FIDE Baku Acceleration System in place of the bid "2 rounds" acceleration.

I will come for sure to the 2020 Can. Op. if One-section, with Baku Acceleration.

What do you think, Egis, and Gary, about Erik's suggested revision to the tournament conditions? Can you bring it to your CO organizing cttee.?

Bob A
                    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 2nd December, 2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I'm sure Egis is listening.......at least I hope so.......and I hope that he/the Committee has the freedom to implement this FIDE Baku Acceleration System in place of the bid "2 rounds" acceleration.
                      While I'm reading, I'm not involved in CO 2020.

Comment

Hi Gary Hua:

I know your Elevate My Chess is one of the partners on the 2020 CO Organizing Cttee (We have now been advised that Egis is not).

So would you consider bringing Erik Malmsten's suggestion above to use as acceleration the FIDE Baku System of accelerated pairings, to the full organizing cttee. for discussion/voting?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by David Cohen View Post
                          Re: 2020 Canadian Open - sponsorship and publicity

I'd be happy to organize the 2020 Canadian Open Championship (or any other year) in Toronto. All you have to do is get me $50,000 in sponsorship. If you think that's easy, never mind,
                          If you know how to talk to sponsors, I don't think that finding that level of sponsorship is impossible.

I am not sure that they don't have that level of sponsorship when everything is added up between the CYCC and Canadian Open. As long as you don't go too crazy on the prize fund and you can find a reasonably priced venue you should be able to do it with much less than $50k. I have spoken to two of the individuals representing civic entities involved in the bid and $50,000 in sponsorship was not outside of the realm of possibility and was in fact less than half of what might have been available with the right approach. The organizers are quite capable and I am sure that they will do a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

If you know how to talk to sponsors, I don't think that finding that level of sponsorship is impossible.

I am not sure that they don't have that level of sponsorship when everything is added up between the CYCC and Canadian Open. As long as you don't go too crazy on the prize fund and you can find a reasonably priced venue you should be able to do it with much less than $50k. I have spoken to two of the individuals representing civic entities involved in the bid and $50,000 in sponsorship was not outside of the realm of possibility and was in fact less than half of what might have been available with the right approach. The organizers are quite capable and I am sure that they will do a good job.
                            I'm confident that they will find new sponsors from the Mississauga area. I've been to the sports arena by TTC and I think people coming north or west of Toronto will love it. It's a premier site. I don't know if there's any Paramount food there, but I love their middle eastern restaurants. A $200 entry fee for 200 players will get $40,000 for starters. I don't know what hotel deals they're getting, but I expect that they will be able to afford rooms for 10 GMs, or billet them. It will be an exciting event!

Comment

Seems like this thread has already created some buzz around the 2020 Can. Op. (Mississauga).

As soon as the 2019 Can. Op. (Regina) is over, maybe the 2020 should start a pre-registered list??

Bob A

Comment

Hi again Gary Hua:

I'm re-posting this since you may have missed it since this thread became very active.

I know your chess tournament organizing company, Elevate My Chess, is one of the partners on the 2020 CO (Mississauga) Organizing Cttee.

As a result of my thread I have a question for you:

Would you consider bringing Erik Malmsten's suggestion above as a motion to the full organizing cttee. for discussion/voting:

"That the 2020 Can. Op. (Mississauga) use as its acceleration the FIDE Baku System of accelerated pairings"?

Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

Working...
                                X