More tournament suggestions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More tournament suggestions....

Back in the 80's and 90's, when Doug Burgess and Terry Fleming were organizing weekend Swisses in Ottawa - they would always post on the wall an "accounting" of the tournament before the last round: revenues (entry fees - $50x7, $40x15, $0x1, etc., and any donations) and expenses (a list of the prizes, TD and hall rental expenses, rating fees, etc.) - showing the profit/loss (if any) for the organizers. The players were able to see where their money was going. I would love to see this become standard at all events.

If we don't want to go that far - all organizers should post their final crosstables/results with the prize(s) that each player won. This was done by the recent Oakville CC Challenge - we see a list of the prizewinners, their prizes, and the total amount distributed. For instance - I don't think I ever saw the prize distribution for the 2017 SSM Canadian Open - which guaranteed $50k (based on 300 entries) and a minimum of $40k for the 141 players. If there's a "guaranteed" prize fund - the players (and others) should be able to see how that money was divided.

Two last suggestions: (1) when posting a list of pre-registrants on Chesstalk - don't keep posting the same list over and over with one or two extra names added each time - go to the original list, and edit/replace it. It saves a lot of scrolling time for readers - or simply post a link to the list if it's available on another site..
    (2) If you are announcing a tournament on Chesstalk - please take time to write up a small report after the event, with the crosstable(s) - or a link to them.

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Back in the 80's and 90's, when Doug Burgess and Terry Fleming were organizing weekend Swisses in Ottawa - they would always post on the wall an "accounting" of the tournament before the last round: revenues (entry fees - $50x7, $40x15, $0x1, etc., and any donations) and expenses (a list of the prizes, TD and hall rental expenses, rating fees, etc.) - showing the profit/loss (if any) for the organizers. The players were able to see where their money was going. I would love to see this become standard at all events.

If we don't want to go that far - all organizers should post their final crosstables/results with the prize(s) that each player won. This was done by the recent Oakville CC Challenge - we see a list of the prizewinners, their prizes, and the total amount distributed. For instance - I don't think I ever saw the prize distribution for the 2017 SSM Canadian Open - which guaranteed $50k (based on 300 entries) and a minimum of $40k for the 141 players. If there's a "guaranteed" prize fund - the players (and others) should be able to see how that money was divided.
    This used to be done in Toronto as well. Keeps resentment and conspiracies at bay. The TD fee used to be $3 per player. Although the organizer could lose money with bounced cheques. But it gets more complicated when there are sponsors, for example, do you show the value of free hotel rooms or donated trophies (in the sponsor's name). There's also an argument for showing total entry fees collected per section against total prizes per section.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

This used to be done in Toronto as well. Keeps resentment and conspiracies at bay. The TD fee used to be $3 per player. Although the organizer could lose money with bounced cheques. But it gets more complicated when there are sponsors, for example, do you show the value of free hotel rooms or donated trophies (in the sponsor's name). There's also an argument for showing total entry fees collected per section against total prizes per section.
      In a multi-section tournament - generally the income from the lower sections helps to subsidize the higher prizes in the top section(s). I would say the free hotel rooms and trophies are not an income nor an expense, so their value would be $0 in any short financial statement for the tournament. I would be simply interested in the cash - its source, and its distribution.

Comment

I posted the prize fund in Banff just showing the money taken in, plus donations, less ACA fee, which balance to the prize fund. This was posted by Mark Dutton at the tournament hall and also on Facebook.

I did omit, the cost of the site, TD expenses and TD fee (both paid by the ACA), also the cost of the reception at my house ($400 paid by ACA and $575) paid by me, also cost of me picking up people at Calgary airport and advertising on this site. I just thought that was too much detail for most people.

For Banff, there was about $4000 in real subsidies before the tournament event started or about $50 per player. When 2 parents of junior players were complaining that they should only pay $20 instead of the $30 entry fee, I could only shake my head in disbelief. We had over $3000 in prizes and about $2500 in entry fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
          ....When 2 parents of junior players were complaining that they should only pay $20 instead of the $30 entry fee, I could only shake my head in disbelief. We had over $3000 in prizes and about $2500 in entry fees.
          a common case actually. And this is one reason why a financial report shouldn't be published - results in people nitpicking your expenses - You paid the TD THAT MUCH!

other reasons: various agreements may be confidential (hotel contract, employee contracts, marquee player arrangements), some items are in kind, some items are controversial, some items may not known at the time of the tournament (e.g. if hotel performance requirements have been met to trigger discounts), some revenue (e.g. equipment sales) is not part of the event, and the organizer may be too busy to produce a report during the event.

And frankly, the player doesn't need to know any of this. You don't demand a financial report from a restaurant when you go to eat - just decide if the money you are paying is OK for what you are going to get. Ditto for chess tournaments. Sponsors might be a different category - if they are a significant donor and want a report then it makes sense.

Of course, Hugh's comment about publishing a prize winner's list is valid. It is a failing of many organizers to not do that.

Comment

It doesn't really matter how you set up your prizes or show your expenses. There is always someone who will complain.
            That is the one biggest problem with Canadian Chess. Organizers want to provide a venue to promote chess and chess players complain about the venue. So why do you think there are fewer tournaments and less organizers? It is because chess players are cheap and complain too much. Instead of praising the Organizers and asking when is your next tourney they complain.
            No wonder there are fewer tournaments to compete in every year.
            Last edited by John Brown; Tuesday, 27th November, 2018, 06:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
            X