X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Last Chess Shop in NewYork City"

This was uploaded to Youtube by The Atlantic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh8U6SLvNgs

and Montreal has Cafe Pi. We have to keep track of the chess cafes.

Comment

A little story...

It was Feb 2002...just after 9/11... I was in the Big Apple for a trade show...Chess Forum was one of our customers...so I went to see the owner...gave him his order...we talked...Chess Forum was for sale...$600,000 U.S....rent was $8,000 U.S. per month at the time..the Canadian dollar was not very healthy ($1.40) CDN = $1.00 U.S.) ...I passed...it would have changed the life of the Chess'n Math Association...as they say, if you can make it in New York...you can make it anywhere...as Francis Rodrigues tells me...I am too conservative :)

So a little chess history...the owner of Chess Forum was a manager at the Chess Village Shop...he decided to open his own place...on the same street...less than 30 feet from his former employer. He lives above the present location.

Since then, the owner of the Villlage Chess Shop has retired and the space has become a club for board gamers. the last time I was there...12 gals were playing Cards Against Humanity ...and when I walked into the room...everyone stopped talking :)...BTW...the game is available at www.strategygames.ca :)
      It will probably be one of our top selling games again this year...chess is our bread and butter...but ...over the last 5 years board games represent a significant part of our retail revenues.

Larry
      Last edited by Larry Bevand; Friday, 7th December, 2018, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        Chess Forum was one of our customers...
        Is Chess Forum still one of your customers?

Comment

Working...
        X