Jean Hébert to play in the Montreal Open Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jean Hébert to play in the Montreal Open Championship

We are most happy to announce that the new Canadian Champion and pride of Québec has confirmed his intention to play in the Montreal Open Championship 2009.

Mr. Hébert has an impressive chess career. International Master, Grandmaster in correspondence play, Junior champion of Québec (1972 to 1974) and Canada (1975), Canadian Champion (1978, 2009), seven times member of the Canadian olympic team, past chronicler at La Presse newspaper, trainer emeritus, chess writer and author of a weekly chess e-letter HPE, what a model for dedication and achievement.

Here is one of your last opportunities to play him while he is an International Master, for Championnat de Montréal reveals that he plans to become a Grandmaster (Jean we are all behind you !).

He will be joined by two competitors from Ontario who played in the recent Canada Championship at Guelph, as IM Nikolay Noritsyn and National master Alexander Martchenko have just confirmed that they will play, too.

Nikolay Noritsyn, from Richmond Hill is a twelfth grade student. International master, Canadian Champion U-12 (2003), the youngest ever Canadian Champion at 16 (2007), Canadian Chess Player of the Year 2007.

Alexander Martchenko, from Etobicoke, is going into grade 11. He is two time Ontario Youth Chess Champion U 16 (2008, 2009) and placed 2nd in CYCC U16 last month in Victoria.

Nikolay and Alexander are good friends.

The candidate list for the title "Montreal Champion" is increasing. Consult the list of Montreal Champions of the past.

The Montreal Champion will receive this certificate:
    Last edited by Championnat de Montréal; Saturday, 22nd August, 2009, 01:21 AM.

Re: Jean Hébert to play in the Montreal Open Championship

Make sure you:

- put up signs about the event (you may have to check with Jean to see if the signs should be in French or English or both)

- provide chairs for the spectators (I now anticipate there will be many)

- provide daily bulletins about the rounds and results

etc.

See other threads here about this...
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Pardon Kerry for being presumptuous, I'm sure the organizers in Quebec know the language sign laws in Quebec much more than we do in Ontario, know full well about chairs, signs and promotion and advertising and updates. They have done a marvelous job so far. If only for my family obligations I would be there in a flash.

Sometimes we in Ontario like to tell the rest of Canada what to do, don't pay any attention to us.

Congratulations on this coup of getting Jean Hebert. C'est tres tres bon.

Comment

Re : Re: Jean Hébert to play in the Montreal Open Championship

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Make sure you:

- put up signs about the event (you may have to check with Jean to see if the signs should be in French or English or both)

etc.

Thank you, these items are on our list. Also we have:

- beers and wine in the closing ceremony for everybody (we should receive our alcool permit this week).

What do you think of that? Want to come even more?

Montreal Open Championship
        championnatdemontreal@gmail.com
        www.championnatdemontreal.mine.nu

Comment

Make sure you:

etc.

Should I understand Mr Liles that you consider all such items as above as trivial and unimportant ?

By the way, no one, not even me, expects bulletins or gamefiles to be posted after each round during a week-end event. If it is your way to try to be funny, I suggest that you choose less sensitive topics.

I have no worries about the Montreal Open Championship. Many of the "frills" that deprived Mr Bond of his organizing pleasure at the Canadian Zonal will be (or already have been) put together by a dedicated team. And it is only a week-end event...

Comment

I'm really impressed by the energy being shown by the Montreal Open organizers. They seem to be pulling out all the stops to try to create a great event.

If anyone from out of town is still on the fence about playing, I hope you'll jump on in. I think it's going to be tremendous.

Knowing that Jean Hébert has agreed to play is telling. Obviously he is convinced that the organizers are creating conditions that are conducive to holding a great tournament.

The news that he will seek a GM title somehow doesn't surprise me in the light of recent events. Hopefully we'll be hearing a lot more about in HPE in the weeks and months to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
              Should I understand Mr Liles that you consider all such items as above as trivial and unimportant ?

By the way, no one, not even me, expects bulletins or gamefiles to be posted after each round during a week-end event. If it is your way to try to be funny, I suggest that you choose less sensitive topics.

I have no worries about the Montreal Open Championship. Many of the "frills" that deprived Mr Bond of his organizing pleasure at the Canadian Zonal will be (or already have been) put together by a dedicated team. And it is only a week-end event...
              OMG. I guess some people fail to see the humour even when there is no little smiley face. "Less sensitive topics" ??? lol The tournament committee seems to be doing the right things -more power to them and congratulations and best of luck!
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Free lodging for an IM

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
                I'm really impressed by the energy being shown by the Montreal Open organizers. They seem to be pulling out all the stops to try to create a great event.

If anyone from out of town is still on the fence about playing, I hope you'll jump on in. I think it's going to be tremendous.

Knowing that Jean Hébert has agreed to play is telling. Obviously he is convinced that the organizers are creating conditions that are conducive to holding a great tournament.

The news that he will seek a GM title somehow doesn't surprise me in the light of recent events. Hopefully we'll be hearing a lot more about in HPE in the weeks and months to come.
                I agree Neil.

To an IM from outside Quebec who is thinking of taking part in the Montreal Open, I can provide free lodging at my place.

Contact me at bevand@chess-math.org.

Larry

Comment

Will the Montreal Open be FIDE rated?

Comment

Re : Re: Jean Hébert to play in the Montreal Open Championship

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
                    Will the Montreal Open be FIDE rated?
                    No it won't.

Montreal Open Chess Championship
                    championnatdemontreal@gmail.com
                    www.championnatdemontreal.mine.nu

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Jean Hébert to play in the Montreal Open Championship

Originally posted by Championnat de Montréal View Post
                      No it won't.

Montreal Open Chess Championship
                      Will the Montreal Open be CFC rated?
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

OMG. I guess some people fail to see the humour even when there is no little smiley face. "Less sensitive topics" ??? lol
                        Yet another example of Mr. Hebert trying to dictate who can and can't comment on topics he deems as sensitive. After all, unlike Hal Bond, Mr. Hebert has feelings that might get hurt!
                        Only the rushing is heard...
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Working...
                        X