Bye bye to another online chess server...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye bye to another online chess server...

...and this one is based in Canada.

"Chess Stars" was set up by Toronto individuals a few years ago, and became a publicly-traded company - which was not profitable as a company (and most - if not all - investors). It is now in the pot business, and calls itself "Target Group Inc." (CBDY). - still under the same management.

The latest Form 8-K filed with the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) in the US (the company is also registered in Delaware) states the following:

"On December 12, 2018, the board of directors of the Company adopted a resolution to the effect that as of December 31, 2018, the Company will terminate its online chess playing platform at www.chessstars.com. This decision was made as part of the Company’s overall reorganization to concentrate on its core business of growing, distributing and retail selling of medical and recreational cannabis."

https://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/CBDY/disclosure

Wasn't this the brainchild of Sasha Starr (?) if memory serves.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Based on my recollection of the thread in this forum about this server and the claims of the person running it, my only surprise is that it lasted this long.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Wasn't this the brainchild of Sasha Starr (?) if memory serves.
        Correct. He is still listed as "president" of the current company.

Comment

I think its new business is more in line with the principals' personality than running a chess business. I guess they won't be visiting the U.S. any time soon. They arrest investors in marijuana companies at the border according to reports in the local newspaper. Once arrested they are not allowed in the U.S. again for at least five years unless they manage to get a waiver.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
            Based on my recollection of the thread in this forum about this server and the claims of the person running it, my only surprise is that it lasted this long.
            Does this mean that Kasparov and all those grandmasters own shares in it still? That seems a bit problematic. Hope he dumped his shares.

Comment

Working...
            X