Scarborough Chess Club Jack Frost Swiss (Jan. 10 - Feb. 14) - Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019-02-14...Round 6

I am pinch-hitting for Bob again, he's stuck in Montreal under 40 cm of snow!
    he should be back for the start of the club's next tournament but won't make it for this weekend's Hart House Swiss;
    (update/edit: just read latest email from Bob...he's making a run for it Friday from Montreal back to Toronto to try to make it for the Hart House Tournament this weekend!)
    In this final round I had White vs Javier Dixon (with whom, surprisingly, I had never played against before), and played 1.c4 again, and he responded with 1...e4

after trading pieces on the c file we reached this position after 21 moves:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-02-14 Kwan(1604)-JDixon(1330) 0-1 Eng 1.c4e5 22.Rc1.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	15.4 KB ID:	197837

and then I managed to gave him a weak backward c pawn:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-02-14 Kwan(1604)-JDixon(1330) 0-1 Eng 1.c4e5 24.a4,Rc1,Ba3,e3 .jpeg Views:	1 Size:	14.9 KB ID:	197838

which, had I then proceeded with the straight forward plan of a4, Rc1, Ba3, e3 would have given me good chances with minimal counter play and risk;

however, I got fancy with my Bishop and eventually ended up in a losing position after Black played 36...Rc3!

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019-02-14 Kwan(1604)-JDixon(1330) 0-1 Eng 1.c4e5 36...Rc3.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	15.1 KB ID:	197839

...I lost the game after a few more moves-- and a bunch of rating points;

all in all, I am happy with the progress I am making in transitioning to 1.c4 as I am getting decent, playable positions into the middle game,

next Thursday, a new 6 round Swiss starts, and Bob will be back!
    Last edited by Toy Chack Kwan; Friday, 15th February, 2019, 03:15 PM. Reason: updated Bob's info re Hart House Tournement

Comment

Hi SCC Blog Viewers:

My life, as my friends know, as you can see from Toy's post, tends towards the very, out-of-control chaotic......my regular blog readers already know that from my blog "mini-reality" show.

So I have not yet advised Toy that he is stuck with the Blog for both Rds. 1 & 2 of the new SCC tournament: The Winter Swiss. I am taking byes for both rounds, though I am registered. I would be happy to let Toy do the Rd. 3 Blog, if by then he is on a roll.

What would my viewers think if the SCC Blog became a series with two co-bloggers, Toy & I (This is the first he's heard of this!! ). We would alternate Rds. and do switches for each other when either of us were on a "bye".

I am a most witty blogger, I know. But even my shtick needs updating......in the meantime, maybe less exposure to me would be good?? Toy has a totally different style and this adds a lot to the SCC Blog project.

The SCC Blog is intended, by me at least, to become a permanent marketing tool for SCC here on CT. I assume that since I am, as an SCC member, and maybe Toy, contributing most interesting content on the club, it would not be seen by Henry as "crass advertising", and so we would be exempt from the normal tournament advertising fee.....Henry??

Any thoughts of CT'ers on all this would be appreciated by me.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a project of SCC - the executive and the club have nothing to do with my, and maybe Toy's, project as SCC individual members; I am doing this on my own, with the contract with Henry......I did not ask permission of the club......and silence is not consent, but it is acquiescence....and no one from the executive has approached me either publicly, or privately, to express any concern of any kind about my blogging club tournaments.......I, and Toy, are free to do what we want.....

But, of course, if the club wished me not to do the Blog, I would of course comply. This Blog is to enhance the club, not to cause dissension.

Bob A

Comment

Working...
      X