my dilemma...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post

e5 is to dry and I can get any advantage c5 is too easy for white to play against, c6 leads to countless draws as early as move 20, e6 too cramped and so on
    First of all, you should try to forget your prejudices and really study these openings. These are the 4 more popular choices against 1.e4. How could this be if they are as bad or as dull as you think?

Look at your second game for example, the one you lost in 21 moves as White after 1.e4 e6 2.d4 c5. This was a French defense. Would you say that it was too cramped for Black? Actually, at move 2 it transposes into a Sicilian defense (as if 1.e4 c5 2.d4 e6 has been played). But would you say that it was too easy for White to play against?

I can only advise you to UNLEARN what you think you know about these openings, and play them without prejudices, as if you see them for the first time. In particular, 1.e4 e5 and 1.e4 c5 are definitively worth your time and effort.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
      you need more games to assess your true rating. you are no longer a junior under 15. you need a coach or you need to wake up and study.
      you mean post more games here??

Comment

No Play more games. I'm not sure we want to see your games here. You need to get a coach so they can review your games and tell your strengths and weaknesses.

Comment

thats something Ive wanted for awhile but I can't for financial purposes, so self studying is all I have

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
          No Play more games. I'm not sure we want to see your games here. You need to get a coach so they can review your games and tell your strengths and weaknesses.

Comment

[QUOTE=Louis Morin;n197700]

First of all, you should try to forget your prejudices and really study these openings. These are the 4 more popular choices against 1.e4. How could this be if they are as bad or as dull as you think?

Look at your second game for example, the one you lost in 21 moves as White after 1.e4 e6 2.d4 c5. This was a French defense. Would you say that it was too cramped for Black? Actually, at move 2 it transposes into a Sicilian defense (as if 1.e4 c5 2.d4 e6 has been played). But would you say that it was too easy for White to play against?

I can only advise you to UNLEARN what you think you know about these openings, and play them without prejudices, as if you see them for the first time. In particular, 1.e4 e5 and 1.e4 c5 are definitively worth your time and effort.

[/QUOTE
            I think If I were to go back to any common e4 response id need play something like c6 or g6 or possibly d6 cause I generally join enjoy the modern school of openings (controlling the board from a far)

and again most of the those prejudices come out of the games that I play (im mostly an e4 player)

Comment

In just about every sport, including chess, getting "stuck" at a certain skill level is common, and it has a name - "plateauing". The answer is to keep working at your sport or game and eventually you will make another "sudden" jump in skill. I can also recommend youtube videos, especially from Ben Finegold who gives you some simple and useful rules to follow and is also funny.

I especially like Ben's rule "never resign". It's very important to learn how to defend lost positions and endgames. At your rating level you don't have enough experience to know which positions are really totaly lost and which are defendible. You won't learn that skill by resigning. Also I advise you to never offer or accept a draw until you are much stronger than you are now, for the same reasons as I like "never resign".

Once you are over 2000 or so this advice can be mostly ignored, but until then you don't have the skill to know which positions are *really* utterly lost or totally drawn.

Study engames over openings, but you need to learn some openings too. The advice on this given by previous commentators is good - listen to it. Go on a chess site and use their tactical trainers. Tactics are 99% of chess before you are an expert or master, and possibly even after.

Mr. Dobrich at least, is a much stronger player than I ever was, so if he contradicts my advice take his over mine. I don't know how strong the other commentators here are but their advice also seems pretty good to me - but then, who am I to judge? I peaked at 2100 and now at 75 I don't doubt that I am far weaker than that.

Comment

When I started chess I was very successful with the four-move checkmate, and ever since have been looking for the magical forced win for White variation. Today, I just try to survive against the opening-memorizing beasts, complicate and unbalance the position to give them an analysis workload, look for cheapos and tactical breakthroughs, and recognize winning pawn structures as the moment to exchange pieces. I've met so many 1600 to 1900 Book players confused by their loss as I didn't play the GM line. A plus 1 or 2 line still requires a middlegame/endgame plan to win.

Comment

Hi Erik: I don't play at your level........but we do have similar styles!!

Bob A

Comment

thats something Ive wanted for awhile but I can't for financial purposes, so self studying is all I have
                    Hi Henry,

I've seen many players at UT improve without coaching, simply by playing and studying with similar level friends. Even though often they had different styles. And they grew together.
                    If you're open-minded to study with players around your rating, who also want to improve, but have different styles, I think you would learn a fair bit. At worst, you'd become a well-rounded player in other areas and your strength / rating would go up a bit. I imagine coaching would be better, but studying with driven peers can also go a long way.

Alex F.

Comment

im struggling to find explanations for my poor results

Henry hughes (1590) - stefan szpular (1403)
                      1. e4 e6 2. d4 c5 3. Nf3 b6 4. Bf4 Bb7 5. d5 exd5 6. exd5 d6 7. Bb5+ Nd7 8. O-O Qf6 9. Re1+ Ne7 10. Bg5 Qxb2
                      Did you analyse your games? Here you played the opening quite well and are completely winning after only 10 moves. The only problem is that there is only a single winning move... a fantastic continuation to be sure! All other moves allow Black to slip away, and you played one of these weaker moves (11.Bxe7?). Look for the winning continuation, Black is completely crushed if you find it.
                      Last edited by Louis Morin; Thursday, 7th February, 2019, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post

Did you analyse your games? Here you played the opening quite well and are completely winning after only 10 moves. The only problem is that there is only a single winning move... a fantastic continuation to be sure! All other moves allow Black to slip away, and you played one of these weaker moves (11.Bxe7?). Look for the winning continuation, Black is completely crushed if you find it.
                        1. e4 e6 2. d4 c5 3. Nf3 b6 4. Bf4 Bb7 5. d5 exd5 6. exd5 d6 7. Bb5+ Nd7 8. O-O Qf6 9. Re1+ Ne7 10. Bg5 Qxb2 11. Nbd2 Qxb5 12. Ne4 Kd8 13. Nxd6 Qa4 14. Nxb7+ Kc7 15. Nxc5 Nxc5 16. d6+ Kb7 17. dxe7 Re8 18. exf8=Q Rhxf8
                        dam found it I spent a few hours today looking at it

Comment

Congratulations Henri, You have 4 masters and 5 experts giving you advice. Now you just have to sort out what works for you and continue to apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                            Congratulations Henri, You have 4 masters and 5 experts giving you advice. Now you just have to sort out what works for you and continue to apply.
                            yup thats the idea at this point

Comment

Mr. Seedhouse, its a different Vlad D. although also master strength not legendary (yet)

Comment

1. e4 e6 2. d4 c5 3. Nf3 b6 4. Bf4 Bb7 5. d5 exd5 6. exd5 d6 7. Bb5+ Nd7 8. O-O Qf6 9. Re1+ Ne7 10. Bg5 Qxb2 11. Nbd2 Qxb5 12. Ne4 Kd8 13. Nxd6 Qa4 14. Nxb7+ Kc7 15. Nxc5 Nxc5 16. d6+ Kb7 17. dxe7 Re8 18. exf8=Q Rhxf8
                                dam found it I spent a few hours today looking at it
                                11. Nbd2 is not the move

Comment

Working...
                                X