X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergey’s St. Valentine’s Day Study

Sergey’s St. Valentine’s Day Study

February 13, 2019

On his Twitter page on St. Valentine’s Day last year, Sergey Karjakin gave this position:

writing:

Absolutely love this position!
    White to move and draw(hard)

Оченьлюблюэтупозицию! Ходбелых,
    ничья(сложно)

I’ll post the commentary/solution from his followers tomorrow

How about (scroll down for moves):

1.Nf3+ Kh1 (1...Kg3 2.Nf4 Kxf4 3.Ne1) 2.Ng1 c1=Q (2...Kxg1 3.Nf4) 3.Ne2 Qany 4.Ngf4 looks like an airtight draw to me as the K is locked up. Took me about ten minutes to find this but knowing there is a draw and that the possibilities of making one in this sort of position are pretty limited helps a lot.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

For people who like knight studies, I found the knight+pawn endgame lesson at chess.com to be a lot of fun!

Comment

Sergey’s St. Valentine’s Day Study

February 15, 2019

Good work, Tom! I must admit that the solution baffled me.

Comments

Karjakin - Congrats who found the solution! The answer is Nf3 Kh1 Ng1!! c1Q Ne2 followed by Ngf4 and it is a fortress, because of the black's king!

- so the king is stuck and the knights protect each other. Super GM problem that is lol

- I'm guessing 1. Nf3+ first...? But then after 1...Kh1 I'm stuck.

- 1.Nf3+! Kh1 (1...Kg3 2.Nf4 (2.Ng1 also draws) Kxf4 (2...Kxf3 3.Nd3=) 3.Ne1= or 1...Kh3 2.Nf4= or 2.Ng1=) 2.Ng1! c1=Q (2...Kxg1 3.Nf4! Kf1 4.Nd3! c4 5.Nc1 Ke1 6.Ke6 Kd2 7.Na2= or 2...Kxg2 3.Ne2 Kf3 4.Nc1=) 3.Ne2! Qf1+ 4.Ngf4! is a draw since the Black King is trapped. Beautiful!

Comment

Working...
        X