SCID -compare- Scid vs. PC -compare- ChessX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCID -compare- Scid vs. PC -compare- ChessX

Hello there, has anyone used any of the three programs in the subject line? I'm just looking for a simple software to archive my OTB games from over the years. I don't need a database of games from great players, and for the engine I just need a bit more than a blunder-check (I'll never actually PLAY against the engine). Thanks in advance for any experienced insight into any of these.

I tried one (both?) of the Scids many years ago. As I recall it was different from chessbase but with similar functionalities. Thus, I stuck what I was used to - CB. If I recall well one of them (SCID) is not maintained anymore. Is it right?

Usually I enter my games using a phone on the way home from tournaments. The Playchess.com app is quite convenient for entering games with the pre-move (or smat move?). Then I open in DroidFish for analyses (has Stockfish as an engine). It's not deep but it's enough to point blunders :) Before rounds I look through opponents games with Scid on the Go.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      I tried one (both?) of the Scids many years ago. As I recall it was different from chessbase but with similar functionalities. Thus, I stuck what I was used to - CB. If I recall well one of them (SCID) is not maintained anymore. Is it right?

Usually I enter my games using a phone on the way home from tournaments. The Playchess.com app is quite convenient for entering games with the pre-move (or smat move?). Then I open in DroidFish for analyses (has Stockfish as an engine). It's not deep but it's enough to point blunders :) Before rounds I look through opponents games with Scid on the Go.
      Thank you. I don't use a smartphone, so I'm just looking for something smooth on my 13" Asus. Googling around provided me with some conflicting information. It seems that SCID has indeed been updated by someone new, although Scid vs. PC seems to have been more active in the mid-2010s. I can't find much on ChessX, just that it seems to be more user-friendly for folk like me.

Hopefully someone else has used at least two of these for a while ... thanks again.

Comment

I have installed SCID vs PC but not used it much... Sorry. I too am totally confused by the difference between SCID and SCID vs PC. No idea which is 'newer' etc. One of them should give up... :)
        As for Chessbase - there is a free viewer but that seems too too much for just maintaining a simple database of one's own games. I will have to look at ChessX too I guess. I'll let you know if I actually find out anything of value... :(
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
          I have installed SCID vs PC but not used it much... Sorry. I too am totally confused by the difference between SCID and SCID vs PC. No idea which is 'newer' etc. One of them should give up... :)
          As for Chessbase - there is a free viewer but that seems too too much for just maintaining a simple database of one's own games. I will have to look at ChessX too I guess. I'll let you know if I actually find out anything of value... :(
          thanks for the post Kerry - I've found LISTS of differences between SCID and Scid vs. PC, but so far anyway, I actually have to look at the banners to confirm which one I'm taking for a test drive

I hear ChessX is notably user-friendlier, but that's next on my checklist

Comment

I have SF and create game files ordered by the opening played and by year that way if im looking for certain things its easily organized but you still get the strong computer analysis

Comment

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post
              I have SF and create game files ordered by the opening played and by year that way if im looking for certain things its easily organized but you still get the strong computer analysis
              what is "SF"? thanks

Comment

I presume SF means Stockfish - a free and very strong chess engine, but it is not AFAIK a database but rather plugs into an interface like Fritz or similar...
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Kerry - correct -

Engine - I use SF and it is better than commercial Fritz which I had used for about 15 years prior.....when I switched, I just deleted Fritz.

Database - I use a very old ChessBase (Database) - I don't need infinite search capacity (At least at this point), and all the bells and whistles. Old can be good, and at times is better when the added features are interfering with privacy. As you stated the engine is integrated into it.

Bob A
                  Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 21st February, 2019, 10:14 AM.

Comment

As you know, I mostly use chessbase. I still use chessdb (another scid variant) for those instances when chessbase crashes during a skype call. It tends to come up much faster than chessbase 15 or 14.

Comment

Working...
                    X