• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hart House Reading Week Open (Feb. 16-18/19) - Blog

Hart House Reading Week Open - Blog

Saturday, Feb. 16 - Sunday, Feb. 18/19

My Blog of the U 1900 Section

I have been having to manage a multiple, consecutive week Hypo-manic phase of my Bi-Polar Disorder recently, and during this tournament. Managing and keeping control of it is somewhat exhausting...add to that 3 solid days of a chess tournament! I had to take Rds. 2 & 4 byes to rest, so I continued to have the energy to control my ridiculous flow of Adrenalin.

So I was unable to blog this tournament, as I have intended (And as stated in every one of my blogs in the Blog template part of the blog).

But I will, at least, make this very cursory blog, to present my very interesting game with my good friend, Undriadi Benggawan.

Rd. 6 Game (19/2/18)

My light annotation (No engine yet):

[Event "Hart House Reading Week (U 1900)"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "2019.02.18"]
    [Round "6"]
    [White "Armstrong, Robert J."]
    [Black "Benggawan, Undriadi"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "A43"]
    [WhiteElo "1527"]
    [BlackElo "1672"]
    [Annotator "Armstrong, Robert J."]
    [PlyCount "68"]
    [EventDate "2019.02.18"]
    [EventType "swiss"]
    [EventRounds "6"]

1. d4 g6 2. c4 Bg7 3. Nc3 c5 {Benoni Defence} 4. d5 d6 5. e4 Nd7 6. f4 {I love playing this aggressive line against the Benoni - leads to fascinating play in the centre.} Nb6 7. Nf3 Nf6 {this move just invites me to play aggressively in the centre, which is the whole point of the f4 line!} 8. e5 dxe5 9. fxe5 Ng4 10. Bf4 O-O 11. h3 {Not only kicks the N, but has the advantage of never allowing Undriadi's light-squared B to pin my f3N from g4.} Nh6 12. Qd2 Nf5 13.g4 {gaining a K-side space advantage + setting up for a K-side attack.} Nd4 14.Nxd4 cxd4 15. Ne4 {recapturing the P is irrelevant if what I want is a mate!} f5 16. Ng5 h6 17. Ne6 Bxe6 18. dxe6 {I am happy to have the doubled P's so long as I have the lead one on e6 - traps the K on the back rank.} g5 {GM's talk about a very few "critical" positions that arise in a game - here is the first one......to play solidly and classically OR to play totally what I call "messy" chess for the fun of it, and hoping for a perpetual if there is really no mate.} 19. Bxg5 {I go for messy! I was also tired from controlling my Bi-Polar Mania for the first 5 rounds, and just couldn't see playing a long game........this would shorten it and it would definitely be interesting and fun, though I'll likely lose because I can't actually calculate a mate, or even a perpetual.} hxg5 20. Qxg5 {Undriadi is up N vs 2 P's; but he is weak on the white squares around his K, and I have my light-squared B, and he no longer has it to defend. I have a potential K-hunt attack.} Qc7 21. O-O-O {At this point P's don't matter at all. I need fire-power and must mate or lose.} Qxe5 {Undriadi is up N vs P.} 22. Bd3 {I have to blockade Undriadi's potentially very aggressive dP} f4 23. Bf5 Nxc4 {Undriadi is now up a clear N.} 24. Qg6 {trying to use the white-square weakness of Undriadi} Rf6 25. Qh7+ Kf8 26. Rhe1 Ne3 {My R is fine for the moment since Undriadi's N is now pinned.} 27. Qh5 {to mate on f7, I must somehow get the f6R off the f-file.} Qc5+ 28.Kb1 Nxf5 {Undriadi is up B + N} 29. Re4 Rc8 {threatened Q-sac/mate} 30. Ree1 Qc2+ 31. Ka1 Rxe6 {My e1R is pinned to the back rank. Undriadi is up B + N + P} 32. Qxf5+ {Undriadi is up B + P} Qxf5 33. gxf5 Rxe1 34. Rxe1 Rc5 {I am now in a totally lost ending with no counter-play. The honourable thing to do is to resign. Undriadi is clearly better than me, at least in this game. It is an insult to Undriadi, a most worthy gladiator, to force him to play to mate, hoping he is an idiot and will either blunder many times and lose, or will stalemate me by accident. There should be mutual respect among gladiators. A gracious and respectful acceptance of defeat, when there are no more even distant chances of drawing, is the Gladiator's Rule.} 0-1

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Tuesday, 19th February, 2019, 11:06 PM.

hey bob I do Really like that f4 line but have you considered e3 instead of e4? seems it could help structurally later in the game and like a 0-0-0 and g4 h4 I don't know I just really wanna mate black here :)

Comment

Hey Henri:

You are right......there are two aggressive ways to play. I find yours gets stalled more often than not. But it certainly is the case that many others can play it better than me!

If you are going to try to win down the centre (With a late K-side attack), then you must have e4, to make the critical e5 move when you want to start blowing the centre open.

Anyone got other thoughts on the aggressiveness of the f4 line?

Bob A

Comment

yea true bob ive never been much of a d4 player so im not sure I should look into it though

Comment

D4 can be simply solidly positional and is fine - Kramnik loved it.

But Kramnik also knew that after a somewhat solid looking start structurally to the early middlegame, their are peaceful seeming moves that in fact set up an amazing tactical position, especially with Bd3 rather than Be2 (Which is fine and solid, and plays to get an incrementally better middle game position, and then when an ending with hopefully enough advantage to be a win......and if not, likely a draw rather than a loss).

Bobby felt, however, as far as I know, that e4 was tactical from the start, and though Bobby's simple logic approach to chess is beautiful, he was an attacking player and would win in a firestorm if he could.....much more fun FOR HIM!

One must really know themselves as a personality......

It is not that e4 is better than d4.....and it may be.....that is not the point......what is the case in Plato's ideal world......the shadow falls on and is implemented on earthly soil with all its abilities and warts...

The issue is on the ground success......what works with your personality??

Einstein: If a fish is tested (In the education system) by being asked to climb a tree, then it will spend the rest of its life believing it is stupid.

Chess Coaches: Don't make your fish try to climb trees.

Bob A
          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 21st February, 2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            D4 can be simply solidly positional and is fine - Kramnik loved it.

But Kramnik also knew that after a somewhat solid looking start structurally to the early middlegame, their are peaceful seeming moves that in fact set up an amazing tactical position, especially with Bd3 rather than Be2 (Which is fine and solid, and plays to get an incrementally better middle game position, and then when an ending with hopefully enough advantage to be a win......and if not, likely a draw rather than a loss).

Bobby felt, however, as far as I know, that e4 was tactical from the start, and though Bobby's simple logic approach to chess is beautiful, he was an attacking player and would win in a firestorm if he could.....much more fun FOR HIM!

One must really know themselves as a personality......

It is not that e4 is better than d4.....and it may be.....that is not the point......what is the case in Plato's ideal world......the shadow falls on and is implemented on earthly soil with all its abilities and warts...

The issue is on the ground success......what works with your personality??

Einstein: If a fish is tested (In the education system) by being asked to climb a tree, then it will spend the rest of its life believing it is stupid.

Chess Coaches: Don't make your fish try to climb trees.

Bob A
            I play 1. Nf3 and go into an kings Indian attack you get very solid portions that later open up into a tactical middle game

Comment

Tournament report on their website contains another photo gallery of individual players:
              https://harthousechess.com/2019/02/2...ing-week-open/

Comment

Working...
              X