Fridman vs Thomson Canada 1949

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridman vs Thomson Canada 1949

I am working my way through "Improve Your Chess Tactics: 700 Practical Lessons & Exercises" by Yakov Neishstadt. Problem 635 is supposed to originate from a game played in Canada in 1949 between Fridman and Thomson. Has anybody ever heard of these players? Neishstadt does express doubts that this position is from a real game and it does look like a composed study. Could Fridman be Bernard Freedman?

I will try to post a link to the study, but it may not work. You may have to cut and paste this into your browser:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=mCN...0chess&f=false

Last edited by Stephen Humphreys; Thursday, 14th March, 2019, 03:38 PM.

I can't find either of these players (or any names close to them), I checked all Canadian games in my database from 1949 - as well, I fed the position into my database (7 million games) and it couldn't find a match.

Comment

March 14, 2019

No. 635

Fridman – Thomson (?)

Canada 1949

White to play and win

Comment

March 14, 2019

I found the above puzzle position on Page 12 of the Maritime Chess Chat, Vol. 3 Saint John, N.B., January 1st., 1949 No. 1

The position is given in Forsyth-Edwards Notation and it is entitled “C.C.C.A. Bulletin Endgame” By Bernard Freedman.

The solution is given on Page 14 but there is no mention of Thomson

Comment

CCCA = Canadian Correspndence Chess Assocuatipn. Maybe the game would be in a CC database.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

March 14, 2019

No. 635

Fridman – Thomson (?)

Canada 1949

White to play and win
            1.Nb6+ Kb8 (1...axb6 2.Ra2+ Kb8 3.Be5+ Kc8 4.Ra8#) 2.Rh2 Qxh2 3.Be5+ Qxe5 4.Nd7+ 1-0

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I looked in the CCCA database. There is one game involving Freedman in 1952, but not this one. There are no games from that period involving a Thomson, but there is one involving L.T. Thompson in 1953. Perhaps those are the two players.

Comment

In the Canadian database there are two 1949 correspondence games (Golden Knights, i.e. US Championship) William Freedman versus Ignas Zalys.

In the 1950 USCF rating list there is Larry Friedman 2284. He was the 1947 US Junior Champion but quit playing for 20 years.

In the 1957 CFC rating list there are Ottawa players G. Freeman 1784 and W. Frieson 1538 and A. Thomas 1420 and A. J. Thomas 1570.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Dukic View Post

1.Nb6+ Kb8 (1...axb6 2.Ra2+ Kb8 3.Be5+ Kc8 4.Ra8#) 2.Rh2 Qxh2 3.Be5+ Qxe5 4.Nd7+ 1-0
                  The line in the book is 4... Kc8 1-0 but computer says 4...Kc7 draw!

Comment

Working...
                  X