Simultaneous Chess Tournaments?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Simultaneous Chess Tournaments?

    GM Timur Gareev is playing in the US Championship and the Mid-America Open at the same time! (the venues are 20 minutes apart - more than 5 miles) He is also doing much better in the US Championship since doing so - a win and a draw in his last two games!!

  • #2
    Timur is a really funny person. About a year ago, he was playing against David Itkin and offered him to play 3 checks instead of a normal game. David declined... and lost a normal game. It was on Chicago Open.
    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Monday, 25th March, 2019, 09:58 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      in 1985 (Edmonton), both Igor Ivanov and Brian Hartman played in the Canadian Closed and Canadian Open simultaneously. However - they were in the same hall, but rounds at different times.
      They tied for first in the Open (8.5/10); Ivanov tied for first (with Ray Stone) in the Closed with 6.5/9; Hartman tied for 4th with 5/9.

      I played a guy one year in the World Open who was playing in two sections - a couple of floors apart. I simply waited for him to leave the board and made a move - knowing it would be at least 5 to 10 minutes before he returned. I won easily.

      Comment


      • #4
        The Igor Ivanov and Brian Hartman feat is legendary in Canadian chess and World Open has had more than a few (but all in the same building). Timur Gareev's simul tournaments are across the city. I wonder how he did in the Mid-America Open?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
          The Igor Ivanov and Brian Hartman feat is legendary in Canadian chess and World Open has had more than a few (but all in the same building). Timur Gareev's simul tournaments are across the city. I wonder how he did in the Mid-America Open?
          According to the crosstable, Timur only played one game (he won), took a couple of byes, and forfeited a game. Meanwhile - GM Anton Kovalyov tied for first (4.5/5, $1200), and GM Razvan Preotu finished with 3/5 (one won, four draws).

          http://www.midamericaopen.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            So it looks like he played only one game, not much of a tournament. More like a promo stunt.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              in 1985 (Edmonton), both Igor Ivanov and Brian Hartman played in the Canadian Closed and Canadian Open simultaneously. However - they were in the same hall, but rounds at different times.
              They tied for first in the Open (8.5/10); Ivanov tied for first (with Ray Stone) in the Closed with 6.5/9; Hartman tied for 4th with 5/9.

              I played a guy one year in the World Open who was playing in two sections - a couple of floors apart. I simply waited for him to leave the board and made a move - knowing it would be at least 5 to 10 minutes before he returned. I won easily.
              After Edmonton, the CFC governors quickly voted to not allow players to play in the Canadian Closed and another tournament at the same time. I do not remember the exact wording, but hopefully I voted against the motion. I found Igor playing in both events very entertaining.

              Comment


              • #8
                The Canadian Open/Closed Edmonton 1985 was an interesting event for me. For example, it was when I first spent more time with Robert Hamilton as we both billeted at Ford and Penny Wong's home, who were gracious hosts.

                The idea to play simultaneously in both the Open and Closed was Igor's. We had been shadowing each other in many Canadian and US Swiss events, and trading relative success - for example, I won the Cleveland Open 1985 and he won the Hull Open 1986, where we were contending throughout. I overhead Igor in the hallway asking to play in both events simultaneously, so I walked over and asked for the same...there was no rule against this, so we proceeded. It was strictly a monetary decision, as we both made more money by doing this then by winning either on its own. We played one another in both events, I was black in both, and both were relatively short, but hard fought draws.

                One humorous note was Igor had the larger Rubik's Cube that he was attempting to solve, which he attempted every time I saw him...at the bus stop, during his games, constantly, and in the early rounds he started relatively slowly...then one day I showed up to the round and his cube was sitting beside his board fully solved...he began a winning streak thereafter.

                My favorite game was against GM Yanofsky, moreso as some Canadian historical players showed up for the post mortem...which no doubt made my mentor Paul Vaitonis proud, as he had given me specific advice so long ago that I used in that game.

                Ian, I agree that Igor's games were entertaining! :)

                PS - My best memory with Igor was playing all night blitz during the 1987 Canadian Closed....at one point he exclaimed "Hartman, the reason it is difficult to play against you is that I cannot predict any of your moves" - i.e., I was much weaker. During the same event, I walked in to visit Igor in his room and he was watching a show in French to improve his language skills, and looking over an endgame from the recent Russian Championship - he said "Hartman, what do you think is the best move here?" I nearly instantly replied "h4"...he then said "Hartman, this is Russian Championship, not Canadian Championship!" :)

                Brian

                Comment


                • #9
                  Simultaneous Chess Tournaments?

                  March 25, 2019

                  It has struck me that, with online tournaments, it is quite possible for a player to play in a regular tournament and then compete for his team online.

                  It could be on the same day or on another.

                  "This quote from the chess.com commentary on the PRO Chess League Quarterfinals:

                  The PRO Chess League's playoffs have reached the quarterfinals, with just eight teams left in the competition. The question now: Who will make it to San Francisco?

                  The first match is the battle of the Arch: The Saint Louis Arch Bishops vs the Webster Windmills.

                  An incredible three out of eight of these players will be competing in this match during the rest day at the U. S. championship: Fabiano Caruana and Wesley So for the Arch Bishops, and Ray Robson for the Windmills."

                  Greg Shahade at:

                  https://www.chess.com/news/view/firs...als-on-tuesday

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

                    According to the crosstable, Timur only played one game (he won), took a couple of byes, and forfeited a game. Meanwhile - GM Anton Kovalyov tied for first (4.5/5, $1200), and GM Razvan Preotu finished with 3/5 (one won, four draws).

                    http://www.midamericaopen.com/
                    I see Razvan is listed as "TX" - I haven't been paying attention; I am guess he is attending UTD with their chess program?? Just curious.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Correct
                      https://www.utdallas.edu/chess/chess-team/
                      Last edited by Rene Preotu; Tuesday, 26th March, 2019, 03:52 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Rene Preotu View Post
                        Thanks! Very interesting. Please pass on my regards...

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X