Counterattacking... At What Strength Is It Beneficial To Teach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counterattacking... At What Strength Is It Beneficial To Teach

Counterattacking is clearly a favorite of many on Chesstalk threads.

However, over the chess board, at should players start to counterattack? This would be the strength where counterattacking is starting to reap benefits but doesn't quite break even relative to pure defending.
    0%
    0%
    100.00%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I don't understand this concept of counterattack. I always look for an attack. But every attack, concentration of forces in one area, always leaves other areas open without protection. A yin yang balance. It is very hard to constantly find the best defensive move. And it is hard psychologically to play in a losing position. It is easier and more more fun to find a counterattacking idea. So I think finding the only defensive moves requires a higher rating. Unfortunately, in most of my games the only defensive move is only revealed in post-game computer review.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with introducing the concept to any player that can understand it. As they improve, the understanding can become fuller.

e.g., in reply to a threat of capture, even beginners are taught to consider the following:

(a) to defend the piece
      (b) to block the attack
      (c) to move the piece
      (d) to capture the attacker
      (e) to counterattack elsewhere.

This is all part of not making the first move that comes into their heads, of finding the best move and of being methodical.

But perhaps I am mis-understanding the question?

Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

I find with my newer students that part of the training is more psychological, where I have them actively think about not "freaking out" when being attacked. They eventually realize that such a more calm state allows them to LOOK for counter-attacking, which can be quite non-intuitive for newer players whose main memories of many of their games are when they were suddenly blindsided.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
          I find with my newer students that part of the training is more psychological, where I have them actively think about not "freaking out" when being attacked. They eventually realize that such a more calm state allows them to LOOK for counter-attacking, which can be quite non-intuitive for newer players whose main memories of many of their games are when they were suddenly blindsided.
          Yes Aris. I've had many under 1700 players crumble under a kingside pawn storm (or Bxh7+), their stress resulting in giving up. While over 1900 players laugh at my cheapos, see the opportunity to enter on the queenside and swarm my exposed king. I get too excited by own attacking moves and not enough attention to defense, and lose.

Comment

Working...
          X