Aurora Spring Open 2019 – Blog

Rds. 1 & 2 - 19/3/30 (Saturday)

Bob's Chess Blog # 1 [Part I of 3 parts]

(See Knight Logo below)

Tournament

Name: Aurora Spring Open

When: Mar. 30 – 31

Format: 5-round swiss

Sections: 4: Master; U 2100; U 1700 ; U 1300 (There was also a separate 1-day (Sat.) Junior U-1000 tournament).

Rating: a. All sections are CFC-rated.

b. The top 3 sections are also FIDE rated.

Time Control: G/90 + 30 sec. (From move 1).

Playing Up: Players within 100 pts. of the floor of the section above have the option to play up, on paying a "playing up fee ($ 30)", and some do.

Registration: 119 ( Master - 19; U 2100 - 28; U 1700 - 38; U 1300 - 39)

Blog Note:

This Blog on my personal Facebook page is re-posted a few other places - so references here refer to this Fb platform.

The Day of Rds. 1-3

The Wee Hours of Saturday Morning

I woke up at 6:45 A.M. (Went to bed Fri. night @ 11:00 PM). So I got more than my normal approx. 6 hrs. sleep/rest.

I felt quite refreshed. So.... I got up, dressed, and went and got my morning coffee.

Usually I would then head for my home office (I am retired + unemployed – life is fine except for my slave-driver company, Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative [Quite a mouthful, but simply put: CLCC], where I must volunteer my work time for free!) and fire up my old laptop.

The Daily Routine

As those who have read my blogs before know, I have a kind of routine I usually follow, whether I am playing chess tournaments or not (The next part below is a normal template reproduction from blog to blog, and regular readers have read it before, and can skip down to the "End of Template" heading):

START OF TEMPLATE

1. Check for my e-mails and Fb messages;

2. Check new posts/comments on ChessTalk (CT);

3. Check my Twitter feed to see what had been happening in the world (I follow numerous mainstream media from countries around the world, such as CBC, Toronto Star, National Post, NBC, The New York Times, The Washington Post, France 24, China Daily, Al Jezeera (English), Japan Times, Sputnik News, The Guardian, etc.). I post the most relevant...see below.

4. My little company (Not legally registered yet) is called, as said above, Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative (CLCC). So I update my company's Fb page, Canadian Life Consulting (CLC) - https://www.facebook.com/Canadian-Li...ing-16406543…/. I do this by checking my Twitter inbox for articles to re-post onto CLC. I then also check my Fb newsfeed and some of my Fb friends timelines for posts to "share".

5. Update one of the discussion groups formed under my company page, called Canadian Life Consulting Cooperative Supporters' Group (Or CLCC Supporters) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/2042495809374373/. I update it by sharing some more discussable of the posts now on the CLC page.

6. Update this Fb world events/politics discussion group that I have created here on my own personal Fb account, called PEERS (A Discussion Club of Equals) – https://www.facebook.com/bob.armstrong.9235. I do this by also sharing some of the CLC page posts. But I also share some of my sources' posts directly to this discussion club.

8. I share at least one chess post per day to my Fb chess discussion club, Chess Chat, formed under my personal Fb account - https://www.facebook.com/groups/340524269771672/.

9. When I find them, I share discussable religious posts to my World Religions discussion club Fb Group, Theist Community - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1052227598173591/.

Sometimes these also appear in PEERS.

10. I have another retiree project besides my own Facebook Project “Job # 1”(My company) + my Fb Project “Job # 2” (My own personal interests).

Chess is a passionate hobby of mine, as you know. But I have never really studied seriously.

But what I do do, is I enter all my games, and annotate them, to try to learn something - GrandMasters do recommend this often. In addition, I integrate the opening (the first 10 moves) into an opening/defence tree I have for the opening/defence played. The value of this is pretty uncertain, given my inability to remember lines - but I do develop general impressions of how the opening can go.

So on my own time, I go back and forth between my Facebook projects and my chess hobby project.

Sometime during this process, I usually get my breakfast and eat it at the computer.

My 35/25 System 2

As well, I go back and forth between my routine items above and my own personal life tasks to be done that day. But I have a somewhat unique system for doing this.

Recently I found that I was spending a lot more time on my three retiree projects than my normal life tasks - don't we all spend more time on what we enjoy!

But I was falling behind in "life" while keeping up in the "Fb/chess" projects. So I did have to deal with this issue.

So I came up with the "35/25 System". What this is: When I am at home, I bite the bullet and I spend 35 min. on my life tasks, which I think of as “working for myself”; I even set the alarm! Then I reward myself with 25 min. on my 3 retiree projects (Facebook [2] & Chess). I try very hard to religiously stop when I am to change phases.

This has actually worked out well....I am still abysmally behind in "Life", but not nearly as much as I used to be! LOL

END OF TEMPLATE

Charging into Saturday

But this morning I had to take the TTC to Kennedy station, where my friend, Omar Shah (Acting as a “floater” at the tournament) was to pick me up at 8:00 AM. So I had not time to fall into my routine 'til the evening, after I got home.

I met Omar, and then we drove to our friend's in Markham, Toy Kwan. Omar parked his car there for the day, and we all went to Newmarket in Toy's car. We got there about 8:45 AM.

Pre-Round 1

On entering the nicely renovated Newmarket Old City Hall, I first met the Chair of the organizing committee, Chris Tapping. He was pleased with the registration for both tournaments. We noted that there are now more chess clubs (Including Junior Ones) and weekend tournaments in the Greater Toronto Area than there used to be.....and the Aurora tournaments are still holding their own.

Then Toy and I met Mahmoud Mussa from Scarborough CC. He had played at SCC for a short time years ago, and had just returned. At SCC two Thursdays back, Toy and I had told him about the Aurora tournament. Mahmoud had never played a weekend tournament. So we encouraged him to take the plunge, and he did!

We went up to the playing hall, and I met my former SCC friend, Pino Verde. He is still playing top level correspondence chess, since stopping club play a few years ago. He also gave me a chess book for me to read, and then donate to our SCC Bellomo Little Library. I then met Undriadi Benggawan from our World-Wise Lunch Club, and also Steve Douglas, former SCC'er.

I then chatted briefly with the two other members of the Aurora Organizing Cttee, Egis Zermoskis (Also chief Arbiter) and Bernie Prost.

And then just before the round started, I saw my young friend, Lucy Gao, who, like me, also belongs to both Scarborough CC and Annex CC. I also said “Hi” to my friend, Mario Moran-Venegas, former SCC'er.

Round 1

As scheduled, announcements started at 9:15 AM dead on, and the round started right at 9:30 AM.

I played a young junior player. I have turned our Game into a “Chess Game Quiz” (See below).

Lunch

After my game was over, I watched numbers of other games, mostly in our section, and then Toy, Mario and I went out for sushi for lunch. There we met SCC'er Mark Bercovici and he joined us.

We got back to the hall just a bit before the start of Rd. 2 @ 2:00 PM.

Round 2

The round started on time. Again, I have made our game into a chess quizz.

[See Parts II & III below]

Bob A

Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 31st March, 2019, 06:35 AM.

Bob's Chess Blog # 1 [Part II of 3 parts; see Part I above]

Heading Home

After the game, which was the first to finish in our section, I watched more of my section's games. When Toy had finished his game, he and Omar and I all left. Omar had only been a floater for Saturday. Toy and I were taking Rd. 3 byes.

The Evening

I got home about 6:30 PM and settled in and followed the routine I spoke about at the start of the blog. Then I entered both my games into ChessBase, with some light annotations (without an engine), for use in this Blog # 1. Then I typed up and posted the blog.

My U 1700 Section Report - Rds. 1-3 - Saturday, Mar. 30/19.

I am rated 1xxx (Part of the contest below). I am in the 2nd of the 4 sections. My section rating spread is from 1686 to 1252. I am in the middle third of the section.

Post-Rd. 3- U 1700 - Leaders

There are 38 players.

The leaders are:

1st/2nd – 3/3 pts. (Won all games) – Junior Girl Lucy Gao (1578); Junior Boy Aaron Liu (1538).

3rd/5th – 2.5/3 pts. – Pierre Maheux (1686); Junior Boy Yiwei Dong (1519); John Banic (1504).

My Round 1 Game: The Chess Game Quiz # 1

My own light annotations (No engine analysis yet) explain a bit of what I was thinking as the game went on. Now your part; you must answer 4 questions as you go through and after playing over the game:

Player W - Player Bl [B27]

Aurora Spring Open (U 1700) (1), 30.03.2019

Questions:1. What is Player W's rating?
    2. What is Player Bl's rating?
    3. Which player am I?
    4. Who might be the other SCC member I played?

1.e4 g6 2.d4 Bg7 3.Nf3 c5 Sometimes this defence is referred to as the Modern Defence; other times it has been referred to as the Sniper Defence (The name may have been coined by Canadian IM Lawrence Day? Can someone give a reference link that confirms the name & namer?) 4.d5 This is considered the strongest response, I believe. 4...Qa5+ Q Move # 1 5.Bd2 Qa4 Q move # 2 6.Bd3 Bxb2 Player Bl goes up a P 7.Nc3 Qa5 Q move # 3 8.Nb5 wanting to head to c7 8...Qd8 Q move # 4 9.Rb1 Bg7 Winning the P has left Bl pretty far behind in development: s/he has one minor developed; W has 5 pieces developed. The issue now is whether Bl can get caught up in development before getting rolled. 10.e5 Player W is playing very aggressively 10...a6 11.Na3 b5 Keeps W's N off c4; gives b7 to develop the B; and gets the bP up from being backward. 12.0–0 d6 13.Re1 dxe5 14.Nxe5 Nf6 Player Bl is trying now to complete his/her development 15.c4 b4 16.Nc2 0–0 17.Bf1 Nh5 there are a number of lines where Bl does not want W to be able to play Bf4 18.Qc1 e6 19.dxe6 Bxe6 20.Bh6 Ra7 21.Bxg7 Kxg7 22.Qe3 setting up a nice little tactic 22...Qa5 Q move # 5 23.Nxb4 nice tactic; material equality 23...Rc7 24.Nd5 Bxd5 25.cxd5 both players now have a passed P 25...Qxa2 Q move # 6. Player Bl goes up a P again. 26.Bc4 Qa4 Q move # 7. 27.Qc3 Player W now plays quite strongly 27...Kg8 28.Ng4 f6 has now set up a discovered check for Player W [Better may have been the following defence 28...Ng7 ] 29.d6+ Rcf7 30.Nh6+ Kg7 31.Nxf7 Player W is up R vs P 31...Nc6 stopping Re7 32.Ng5 [Is the following move stronger? 32.Rb7 ] 32...Kh6 33.Nf7+ Kg7 34.d7 Rxf7 35.Bxf7 Kxf7 Player W is now up 2 R's vs 2 N's + 2 P's 36.Qb3+ When up material, force exchanges 36...Qxb3 37.Rxb3 Nf4 38.Rb7 Nd8 39.Rb8 Nfe6 40.Rxe6 Nxe6 41.d8Q Nxd8 42.Rxd8 Player W is now up R vs 2 P's (Not connected, and not advanced). Also, deadly for the ending, is that the R cuts the Bl K off from helping the Q-side P's advance 42...Ke6 43.Kf1 c4 44.Ke2 [Better is 44.Rd4 ] 44...Ke5 45.Kd2

Questions:

1. What is Player W's rating?
    3. Which player am I?

Answers

W - Yao, Henry (1278)
    Bl - Armstrong, Robert (Bob) J.

1–-0

My Rd. 2 Game – Chess Game Quizz # 2

Player W - Player Bl [E81]

Aurora Spring Open (U 1700) (2), 30.03.2019

Questions:

3. Which player am I?

1.d4 d6 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.e4 Bg7 King's Indian Defence 5.f3 (Samisch Variation) 5...0–0 6.Nge2 e5 7.d5 Na6 8.g4 c6 9.Ng3 cxd5 10.cxd5 Nc7 11.h4 This line allows W a very fast K-side attack 11...h5 12.gxh5 Nxh5 13.Nxh5 gxh5 14.Bd3 f5 Wanting to play f4 to stifle W's attack 15.Bg5 Bf6 16.Rg1 Kf7 17.f4 Attacking h5 with check 17...Rh8 18.Qf3 Calculations now become a bit complex 18...fxe4 19.Nxe4 Bg4 Hoping to block off W's attack on the g-file 20.Rxg4 an exchange sac 20...hxg4 21.Qxg4 Player Bl is up the exchange, but W has a P compensation (And it is passed). 21...Rg8 22.Nxf6 Qxf6 23.Qd7+

Questions:

3. Which player am I?

Answers:

W - Armstrong, Robert (Bob) J. (1447)
    Bl - Mussa, Mahmoud (1355)

1-–0

[See Part III below]

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 31st March, 2019, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Bob's Chess Blog # 1 [Part III of 3 parts; see Parts I & II above]
      My Score

1.5/3 pts. - Win: 1 (Rd. 2); Loss: 1 (Rd. 1); Bye (1/2 pt.): 1 (Rd. 3)

My Opponents' & My Scores

2/3 pts. - Junior Boy Henry Yao (1278) – I lost in Rd. 1.
      1.5/3 pts. - Me (1447)
      .5/3 pts. - Mahmoud Mussa (1355) – I won in Rd. 2.

How My Blog Works (Some history and details)

These next sections are more templates. I repeat them in each Blog.... the template must be here for any new readers of my Blog. So I ask my regular readers to be tolerant, and you can skip this template part down to where you find “Template Ends” (I will alert you if there are any revisions of the template).

BLOG TEMPLATE BEGINS

Bob's Blog

For a number of years now, I have been posting my chess blog:

i) on my personal Facebook Account for my almost 850 Fb friends from around the world (in English): https://www.facebook.com/bob.armstrong.9235;

ii) sometimes on the national Canadian English chess discussion board, Chess Talk [CT] (https://forum.chesstalk.com/…/chesst...-chess-disc…);

iii) occasionally on other chess websites, such as that of FQE (Province of Quebec's Chess Association). That time the blog was posted in both French and English.

More recently I also have been "re-posting" my Fb blog:

i) on my Fb chess discussion group, Chess Chat - A Project of a Chess Companion of Caissa (https://www.facebook.com/groups/340524269771672/);

ii) my Scarborough CC tournaments Fb Blog to SCC's Fb Page (URL above)

iii) my Annex CC tournaments Fb blog to ACC's Fb Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/172335039452033/);

Henry Lam (Aka Dark Knight), the recently new owner of CT, and I have an agreement (From the summer of 2018) that I will re-post my Fb Blogs on CT for both my chess club official tournaments, and my non-club weekend (Sometimes longer; sometimes shorter) tournaments, in which I play between Summer 2018 and Summer 2019.

After that, Henry and I can then renew our agreement for another year if we both so wish.

So, under this agreement, most recently I have been re-posting my current Scarborough CC and Annex CC tournaments. My future non-club weekend blogs to and including Summer 2019 will be (Given my current schedule - from time to time, though, my life schedule may change so that I fit in a tournament not on my schedule, such as this one):

1. The 2018 Hart House Holidays Open (Prior to Christmas/18 - Dec. 14-16/18) – blogged.
      2. The 2019 Hart House Reading Week Open (February 16-18 – I played, but a manic phase interferred with my being able to blog the tournament).
      3. The 2019 Quebec Open (July 10-19).
      4. The 2019 Toronto Open (Aug. 31- Sept. 2).

The National Canadian French Chess Discussion Board

Henri Hughes, a member of both Canadian national chess discussion boards owned by Henry Lam (English: Chess Talk; French: Parlons Echecs), volunteers, subject to demands of his school studies, to translate my blogs into French, and post them to Parlons Echecs. Thanks from all to Henri for his volunteer effort.

The Blog Focus

I mainly focus on the section I am playing in (Has been U 2000, U 1900 or U 1800). I feel that these class sections are often not covered by chess media, and yet, the bulk of chess tournament players are in the classes under 1900. And many of my class viewers have actually played players about whom I am blogging (Ones I play and ones with whom I may socialize during the tournament, who then are mentioned in the Blog). So this adds a bit more interest for them.

I do also generally cover (Bare Bones) the top section standings; but I have to have been able to 7 get the results before the Blog goes to press. I sometime will cover also the lower sections, if I have the results. For both, of course, it can be a matter of the time available (I am often doing my Blog in the wee hours of the morning).

I do hope my blogs will continue to provide a window onto class tournament chess, and what THIS chess player does on the day of club tournaments, and before, after and between rounds for weekend tournaments (A bit of a reality show - bits of my personal life).

I know many other chess players approach tournaments quite differently than I do (E.g. - study!), and so one cannot generalize from what I do.

Blog Feedback

Over the years, and in these more recent blogs, I have had generally positive feedback on my blogging, on both of my own Fb Accounts, the SCC & ACC Fb sites, and on CT.

It has been said that my writing style is easy to read, factual, and often entertaining. It is a find for all us "nosy" chess players!

Thanks to all those who have supported my Blogging on various sites, and kept encouraging me to continue.

TEMPLATE ENDS

Invitation

I am most happy to interact with readers re anything about what I have posted.....so react, comment, reply, post, etc. - both favourable comments and constructive criticism....I will do my best to respond to everyone.

Also, if any reader wishes to add in a supplementary post on their own game, or as a comment, please feel free to supplement my blog.

So jump in with both feet, and we'll all enjoy the blogging adventure!

Bob A

Comment

Working...
      X