Round 9 pairings - 2019 Canada Zonal & Easter Sectionals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
    Great tournament, great organization and great players! Congrats to Evgeny Bareev for a well deserved victory and also Mark Plotkin for his second IM norm. I think Evgeny was getting warmed up and played some very impressive chess. Looking forward to playing next year. Thank you Aris!
    Thanks Ian, you're always a class act! Being a Closed (FIDE 1.43a) again next year, there would be more norm opportunity's like Mark's.

Comment

The PRIZES email has gone out to everyone. Working through the many/varied replies this evening. All e-transfers will be initiated either before bedtime tonight, or early morning tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        I noticed the scoresheets were an unusual 5.5" x 11" (rather than the standard 5.5" x 8.5" (i.e. a standard 11" x 8.5" sheet cut in half)). Would there have been a extra charge for this non-standard size?

They were about 20% more expensive than the standard size. I don't know how much more it would be for colour versions.
        The extra space allowed a sponsors logo at the bottom, and made the space for the each move MUCH taller, and so easier to read.
        A very good trade, IMHO.

FWIW, if I designed them again, I would make the move grid gray instead of black, as that's less optically "busy".

Comment

A few things I noticed while entering games from the top section:

1) The rule of "the higher the rating, the worse the handwriting" was generally in effect, although Aman's was very readable. The larger spaces for the moves also made them easier to read.
          2) One player opened 1. a3 three times (one win, two draws). The games lasted 80, 68, and 70 moves..A stalemate trick in one game saved the half point in a R+B vs R ending. (I just noticed that another player opened 1. a3 in one game and drew).
          3) In a U1900 game, Black decided to repeat the position (resulting in a draw), while he had a mate in one between repititions.
          Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Thursday, 25th April, 2019, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X