The CFC President wrote recently on the CFC site...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    Strategic plans tend to be vague. They necessarily concentrate on the thirty thousand foot view.
    My issue is that the 30,000 foot strategic view is nice, but in and of itself is a very minimal accomplishment. Without details and specifics, it's just pie in the sky dreaming.

Comment

My son receives almost weekly emails from Chess & Math organization - PD day camps and summer camps information, tournament information. He (me) is able to register and pay online for tournaments. Chess.com emails to him daily summary of his activity, reminders about tournaments and tons of other chess related information.
      Did he ever receive email from CFC regarding upcoming tournaments, or his rating status update? I tried to register at chess.ca forum and my account was never activated and no one replied to email sent to forum administrator. No surprises that place is dead silent. Even link to the forum is almost impossible to find on CFC web site.

Comment

Chess.com and lichess.org do a great job of advertising their sites via Twitch. There are plenty of Canadian streamers actually using those sites to play online chess. Although occasionally you catch people analysing OTB tournament games it's pretty rare.

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

- Create Twitch partners who promote the CFC and are promoted by the CFC
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Starks View Post
          Chess.com emails to him daily summary of his activity, reminders about tournaments and tons of other chess related information.
          Hi Alex,

Chess"n Math has recently partnered with Chesskids.com.

Starting in the fall, Canadian youngsters will receive a major discount on Gold Memberships purchased through us, and we will be organizing tournaments across Canada on a regular basis.

After our Nationals (Canadian Chess Challenge) next week we will work on getting the info on our site.

Hopefully your son will take part!

Sincerely,

Larry

Comment

I am not sure what the answer is. I know there is the desire to get more players and female players in particular engaged in chess. I have 2 daughters who will playing for Saskatchewan this weekend at the Chess and Math nationals and I must say at every tournament (Jr or Adult) they are treated great, people (directors, opponents etc.) go out of their way to be nice ,helpful and instructive. I have never seen anything that even remotely bullying. I am convinced if parents experienced what we have they would see chess as a great experience and environment for their daughters.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Hi Alex,

Chess"n Math has recently partnered with Chesskids.com.

Starting in the fall, Canadian youngsters will receive a major discount on Gold Memberships purchased through us, and we will be organizing tournaments across Canada on a regular basis.

After our Nationals (Canadian Chess Challenge) next week we will work on getting the info on our site.

Hopefully your son will take part!

Sincerely,

Larry
              This sounds pretty exciting, Larry. I recommend to all of my students to try out this site. A lot of them talk about it to me (I need to visit it more often).

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Sorgard View Post
                I am not sure what the answer is. I know there is the desire to get more players and female players in particular engaged in chess. I have 2 daughters who will playing for Saskatchewan this weekend at the Chess and Math nationals and I must say at every tournament (Jr or Adult) they are treated great, people (directors, opponents etc.) go out of their way to be nice ,helpful and instructive. I have never seen anything that even remotely bullying. I am convinced if parents experienced what we have they would see chess as a great experience and environment for their daughters.
                If you want more females to play offer a discount. Money talks these days.Give a discount and see if they come out. If not then don't give a discount. Also offering prizes for Top Females per section could draw more participants. Are we all really that stupid that we cannot offer deals to people that don't participate in events?

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post

If you want more females to play offer a discount. Money talks these days.Give a discount and see if they come out. If not then don't give a discount. Also offering prizes for Top Females per section could draw more participants. Are we all really that stupid that we cannot offer deals to people that don't participate in events?
                  Money talks but not as much as many might suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post

I have never met any female player (former or otherwise) that indicated that lack of prize money or cost of entry was their barrier to playing. Your solution doesn't address the main problem and will be ineffective.

Comment

Then maybe you are looking at the wrong females. When I was younger a lot of tournaments offered Jr Sr and Female discounts and we had many females playing. So I guess your age group plays because they want to push females out of chess..

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

Money talks but not as much as many might suspect.
                        Your money will never attract players it's never going to be a St. Louis or a World Championship. It peanuts . And apples do not produce Oranges.

Comment

Working...
                        X