2020 Canadian Closed & Easter Sectionals & Womens Zonal: same place confirmed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Canadian Closed & Easter Sectionals & Womens Zonal: same place confirmed!

Hello chess fans, just a quick note that I've just confirmed with Four Points by Sheraton in Kingston that we're returning there next year after the success of this year's inaugural event (the 2019 Canada Zonal & Easter Sectionals) - it'll probably be a few months (after more sponsorship hunting) before I announce numbers like prize fund, but the dates are locked in just like this year:

Holy (Maundy) Thursday through Easter Monday
    in 2020, those actual dates are April 9th-13th

Thank you, best regards,
    Aris Marghetis, IA/IO

Hello again, I am bumping up this post because people are emailing Bob at the office, with questions about this event.

So let me try to clear some of the confusion. Kingston Easter Chess 2020 (KEC-2020) will include at least these sections:

2020 Canadian Womens Zonal
    2020 Canadian Closed (>= 2200)
    other Sectionals (U2200, U1900, U1600)

The next Canadian (Open) Zonal will be in 2021 (again as part of Kingston Easter Chess)

Comment

Hi Aris:

Got my 2020 organizer a week ago......your dates are now in with the "MAYBE" tag.

But I have to say that the conflict with family time for me personally is a big hurdle.......but we'll keep an eye on developments, and I'll have it there to check on.

Good luck with it in 2020, even if I don't manage it.

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi Aris:

Got my 2020 organizer a week ago......your dates are now in with the "MAYBE" tag.

But I have to say that the conflict with family time for me personally is a big hurdle.......but we'll keep an eye on developments, and I'll have it there to check on.

Good luck with it in 2020, even if I don't manage it.

Bob A
        Thanks Bob, as we get closer, "maybe" we'll move you to your "HECK YEAH" tag!

Comment

Hi Aris,

We have been there this year. It was very well-organized. Kid had a lot of fun. Will return next year for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wang View Post
            Hi Aris,

We have been there this year. It was very well-organized. Kid had a lot of fun. Will return next year for sure.
            Thanks for the kind words Chris! We'll probably have our big announcement within a month or two, stay tuned!

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
              Hello again, I am bumping up this post because people are emailing Bob at the office, with questions about this event.

So let me try to clear some of the confusion. Kingston Easter Chess 2020 (KEC-2020) will include at least these sections:

2020 Canadian Womens Zonal
              2020 Canadian Closed (>= 2200)
              other Sectionals (U2200, U1900, U1600)

The next Canadian (Open) Zonal will be in 2021 (again as part of Kingston Easter Chess)
              The Canadian Women's Closed Championship and Zonal would be the factually and grammatically correct title of the women's portion of the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

The Canadian Women's Closed Championship and Zonal would be the factually and grammatically correct title of the women's portion of the tournament.
                Thanks Vlad.

Comment

Aris, thanks for organising again. Last year it was a 1st class event, well organized and well directed, with excellent playing conditions and very strong competition.. I am not sure if I will be able to play, but I enjoyed last year. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                    Aris, thanks for organising again. Last year it was a 1st class event, well organized and well directed, with excellent playing conditions and very strong competition.. I am not sure if I will be able to play, but I enjoyed last year. Good luck
                    Thanks Ian! I'm also still trying to figure how to get myself to the Banff Open!

Comment

Thanks Ian! I'm also still trying to figure how to get myself to the Banff Open!
                      I recommend flying, too far to walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

I recommend flying, too far to walk.
                        Then I guess you don't know me well lol, I drive wherever possible, and hopefully Banff this year!

I'm hoping another player in the Prairies needs a ride, and so would then reduce my lodging costs.

(open to other ideas too - email me at arismarghetis at rogers dot com)

Comment

Then I guess you don't know me well lol, I drive wherever possible, and hopefully Banff this year!

I'm hoping another player in the Prairies needs a ride, and so would then reduce my lodging costs.

(open to other ideas too - email me at arismarghetis at rogers dot com)
                          I did it by train some 40 years ago. Could get off my ass and walk up and down, meet people. If driving for three days, you might need to arrive a day early to recover from the driving; Book a massage or visit the hot springs.

Comment

Hey Aris
                            really hoping I can make it up to play this year (or next year I guess) I haven't played a bigger event in almost 2 years now so if I can make it up from Sudbury I certainly will.
                            all the best with preparations.
                            Henry

Comment

Hello again, another quick note to confirm we're returning to the Four Points by Sheraton in Kingston, for 2020 Kingston Easter Chess, over these dates:

Holy (Maundy) Thursday through Easter Monday
                              in 2020, those actual dates are April 9th-13th

The sections will be:
                              - Canada Women Zonal
                              - Canadian Closed (>=2200)
                              - U2200
                              - U1900
                              - U1600

Pre-registrations are opening tonight for players from last year's (2019) Kingston Easter Chess.
                              (last year's players, check your email, super-discounts)

Regular full registrations should be opening within days, and posted about here and elsewheres.

Thank you, best regards,
                              Aris Marghetis, IA/IO

Comment

Working...
                              X