Chicago Open this weekend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Open this weekend...

Quite a few Canadians are playing in the various sections of the Chicago Open this weekend. No outstanding results so far.

Crosstables (click on other sections at the right):

http://chessevents.com/2019/05/chica...-open-section/

I'm having a frustrating time trying to watch the live games. Very often the top boards are NOT live - are the players allowed to refuse to have their games live? Of the boards that are live, quite a lot of the time the screen freezes, and/or there are no moves shown at all. A friend of mine is having the same trouble, so it's not just my legendary computer-clumsiness.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
      I'm having a frustrating time trying to watch the live games. Very often the top boards are NOT live - are the players allowed to refuse to have their games live? Of the boards that are live, quite a lot of the time the screen freezes, and/or there are no moves shown at all. A friend of mine is having the same trouble, so it's not just my legendary computer-clumsiness.
      What site were you using? Chessbomb? I haven't tried watching any yet, but Chessbomb is missing a few games (from round 7 - played Sunday). Some DGT boards not working?

Comment

I have been using the link on the Chicago Open website: http://chessevents.com/live-games/ but Chessbomb is presumably getting moves from the same source. Many of the top boards are not shown, and some games, like this one with Windsor's Rohan Talukdar, are blank: https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2019...Talukdar_Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          I have been using the link on the Chicago Open website: http://chessevents.com/live-games/ but Chessbomb is presumably getting moves from the same source. Many of the top boards are not shown, and some games, like this one with Windsor's Rohan Talukdar, are blank: https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2019...Talukdar_Rohan
          Chessbomb lists games in alphabetical order from the White side, so it's not in board order. I don't know about the Chicago Open site.
          Also - Chessbomb is only missing games from round 7, but I also see none from the first two rounds.

Comment

The only Canadians in the money were: Martin Deschamps (U1900): $27.28. Henry Yao (U1500): $120. Kevin Gaoming Zou (U1300): $440.

Comment

Surprisingly they did not have any digital boards at tournament. Live games are the result of players using Monroi devices. Personally, I prefer not to record my games that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                Surprisingly they did not have any digital boards at tournament. Live games are the result of players using Monroi devices. Personally, I prefer not to record my games that way.
                Are you sure they were Monroi devices? For the last 2 or 3 years on the Monroi site. when you tried to order a device, you would get an "Out of stock" (or similar) message. Now - there is no way to even order one. If they had the real thing, they would be at least 2-3 years old. That would explain the missing rounds (and missing games from the rounds that were there) from the live games..

And it was a Goichberg tournament (i.e. as cheaply run as possible) so no equipment supplied. Maybe the Monrois (or whatever) belonged to Chicago people?

Comments after looking at the crosstables: many re-entries, including several who re-entered twice. A co-winner of one section was a re-entry. Three members of the same family all re-entered (one of them twice). None came close to winning a prize.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Are you sure they were Monroi devices? For the last 2 or 3 years on the Monroi site. when you tried to order a device, you would get an "Out of stock" (or similar) message. Now - there is no way to even order one. If they had the real thing, they would be at least 2-3 years old. That would explain the missing rounds (and missing games from the rounds that were there) from the live games..

And it was a Goichberg tournament (i.e. as cheaply run as possible) so no equipment supplied. Maybe the Monrois (or whatever) belonged to Chicago people?

Comments after looking at the crosstables: many re-entries, including several who re-entered twice. A co-winner of one section was a re-entry. Three members of the same family all re-entered (one of them twice). None came close to winning a prize.
                  Yes, I am 95% sure Monroi. When playing in CCA events, they are usually an option. Goichberg's tournaments, the Continental Chess Association, usually has the same directors. John Haskell from Florida, usually passes out the Monroi devices before the rounds and usually to the same people. In Las Vegas, for the National Open, they usually have some digital boards with Monroi devices as an option also.

Comment

Working...
                  X