Frank Anderson....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Anderson....

My database shows a game played between the Canadian Frank Anderson and "Hermann" in Sydney, 1953. I am trying to find out if it was really Frank Anderson (does someone have a list of all his games/tournaments?), and if it was him - which "Sydney" is it - Canada or Australia? His other chess games around that time were all in central Canada or northern US, so Australia sounds a little far away - but so does Sydney NS.

Any thoughts?

Could "Hermann" be Hermann Helms (1870-1963)?
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
      Could "Hermann" be Hermann Helms (1870-1963)?
      Possibly - but Helms would have been 83 at the time, and I have none of his games in my database after 1945. Helms (born in Hamburg, Germany) lived in Halifax and learned chess there in his teens before settling in the US - editing the chess column in the Brooklyn "Daily Eagle" for 62 years (1893-1955). Why did he stop in 1955? The paper stopped publishing. He also edited the "American Chess Bulletin" from 1904 to 1956.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        My database shows a game played between the Canadian Frank Anderson and "Hermann" in Sydney, 1953. I am trying to find out if it was really Frank Anderson (does someone have a list of all his games/tournaments?), and if it was him - which "Sydney" is it - Canada or Australia? His other chess games around that time were all in iecentral Canada or northern US, so Australia sounds a little far away - but so does Sydney NS.

Any thoughts?
        The game is not currently in your Canadian database. The game is not in the book, The Life and Games of Frank Anderson, made from his shoebox of scoresheets. But I do have the game in my 499 game Anderson database. Only one other game where he as Black plays that variation. In 1953 Anderson, still in school, travelled in August to the US Open in Milwaukee and then to the Canadian Championship in Winnipeg (tied for first).

From Chess Results, in Sydney 1953, 2nd Eastern Suburbs Invitational, J. Hermann lost to J. Anderson.

BTW, on chessgames.com, the game of the day is Day-Bailey.

Comment

Working...
        X