Handshake Etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handshake Etiquette

Who is supposed to initiate the handshake after the game the winner or loser what about a draw?

Usually its the player with the largest hands. You would never see Trump extend his hand in a game.

Comment

Seems that many times a person who is resigning often does so while extending their hand. Perhaps similar protocol for draw - the person agreeing to a draw offer extends their hand?

Of course, if it is Topalov-Kramnik there might not be any hand shakes at all.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

i had a game once where I went to give a hand shake and the guy said no im good thanks ... I was like, um okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Hendon View Post
          Who is supposed to initiate the handshake after the game the winner or loser what about a draw?
          Hi Lee. Way down here in the Niagara Peninsula, the person who spits on their hand first is the one who initiates the shake. The only exception to this rule is if your opponent is a Shaker, in which case the rule "Shaker shakes first" applies.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Ah chesstalk :-)
            When we run out of things to discuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
              Ah chesstalk :-)
              When we run out of things to discuss.
              Hey, don't knock it! At least ****** and ***** haven't chimed in yet.....
              Last edited by Fred Harvey; Saturday, 8th June, 2019, 09:23 AM.
              Fred Harvey

Comment

If I've come down with a last minute cold after I have entered I tend not to shake hands but let my opponent know. Others should do the same!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                  If I've come down with a last minute cold after I have entered I tend not to shake hands but let my opponent know. Others should do the same!!!!!
                  I much prefer fist bumps, but some players just do not understand. Some people crush your hand when you shake it, others, just give germs. Why are people obsessed with shaking hands. A much better custom is to bow, like in Japan. The deeper the bow, the more respect shown -- and no germs passed.

Comment

Working...
                  X