• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coca-Cola and Chess

Coca-Cola and Chess

June 12, 2019

We recently have posted on Whisk(e)y and Chess

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...skey-and-chess

Bottled waters and Red Bull have chess sponsorship. Now this from the FIDE site:

https://www.fide.com/component/conte...coca-cola.html

FIDE signs a cooperation agreement with Coca-Cola

It is with great satisfaction that we announce today a brand-new cooperation agreement has been signed between FIDE and the Coca-Cola company.

Coca-Cola has a long history of supporting sports, a tradition which dates back nearly a century ago. This company is the longest continuous corporate partner of the IOC (since Amsterdam 1928), and it has helped numerous athletes and Paralympic athletes to achieve their goals.

Working together with world-leading companies for the benefit of chess is one of the main goals for FIDE. This cooperation with Coca-Cola is an honour that presents us with great opportunities to promote our sport. "Chess is not only the most popular of all games, played by millions of people (...). It is also a unique sport that requires a sharp mind, smart strategy and competitive spirit to be the best. These are values that Coca-Cola is proudly committed to supporting", reads their announcement.

The cooperation between FIDE and Coca-Cola will take off this summer with two pilot projects. The first one will be the Open rapid and blitz tournament that will be held in Riga in July (alongside the Grand Prix), which is set to be the strongest event of the kind in 2019. The second competition that will receive the support of Coca-Cola will be the Polish Team Chess Championship - Extraleague in Silesia, Poland, at the end of August. We will work together to ensure that these are merely the first steps of a long-lasting partnership.

Coca-Cola’s statement:

As part of our long-term support of different sports disciplines around the world, Coca-Cola is proud to inform you that we have established a cooperation agreement with FIDE.

Chess is not only the most popular of all games, played by millions of people all over the world. It is also a sport recognized by the International Olympic Committee – a unique sport that requires sharp mind, smart strategy and competitive spirit to be the best. These are values that Coca-Cola is proudly committed to supporting.

The cooperation with FIDE will become effective during the summer of the current year, 2019. The first two events that will be conducted with the sponsorship of Coca-Cola Poland will be the International Chess tournament in Riga (Latvia), from July 16th to 19th, and the Polish team Chess championship – Extraleague in Silesia (Poland), from August 27th to September 5th.

Coca-Cola and FIDE share many goals, and we look forward to the long-lasting cooperation.

_________

It would seem that this is a pretty bland and vanilla subject. Even so, posters on the EC Forum have a few comments:

- I see they’ve toned down the popularity claim to something that’s believable “Chess is not only the most popular of all games, played by millions of people”

- Anybody able to explain why this agreement is a good thing?

- Anybody able to explain why this agreement is the real thing?

(Nigel Short) - Coca-Cola is a very large international company with a globally recognised brand-name. The current FIDE administration believes that it should raise most of its funds from sponsorship - like all successful international sporting bodies. So far we have doubled the FIDE budget. If you think that wrong, perhaps you prefer the "Makro-economic" model of 92% of FIDE funding coming from federations, players, arbiters, trainers and organisers? If so, you would be in complete agreement with the English Chess Federation, which voted unanimously to support the intellectually (and otherwise) bankrupt Greek.

- See Mark Thomas’s book:

https://markthomasinfo.co.uk/about/b...out-the-devil/

- If the information in Mark Thomas' book is accurate and no significant improvements to ethical standards have been made, then for me it is a bad thing. I don't buy the argument that just because other global sporting bodies are happy to accept the money its ok. I'd rather there were higher ethical standards and rather less cosying up of global bodies.

I am not a big consumer of Coca-Cola (although I do enjoy one now and then) and I do not drink Red Bull.
    Surely Red Bull is more controversial from a health point of view than Coca-Cola?
    Both drinks have their downsides, but perhaps sugar free Coca Cola might be more benign? I recently tried the new sugar free Coca Cola and it was much more palatable than the "diet" versions with sugar substitutes.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Diet Coke all the way! I am drinking a tall one now (710 ml) after mowing the lawn.

Comment

REAL COKE ALL THE WAY BABY, WITH REAL GLUCOSE/FRUCTOSE LOL - I just LOVE the stuff!!

Comment

Coca-Cola and Chess

June 12, 2019

Vlad, I am with you on Diet Coke.

I have a dozen 2L bottles in the hallway to eventually be put in the fridge. A delivery man looked at them and asked me, “Do you have these to sell to people?”

Comment

Five Guys burger. Unsalted fries. Bottomless Coca-Cola. Good supper tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post
              Coca-Cola and Chess

June 12, 2019

Vlad, I am with you on Diet Coke.

I have a dozen 2L bottles in the hallway to eventually be put in the fridge. A delivery man looked at them and asked me, “Do you have these to sell to people?”
              He obviously never met a typical Diet Coke drinker. I tend to cycle through the 2L, 710ml 6 packs and cans depending on what is on sale in that particular week when stocks are dangerously low.
              Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Thursday, 13th June, 2019, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                REAL COKE ALL THE WAY BABY, WITH REAL GLUCOSE/FRUCTOSE LOL - I just LOVE the stuff!!
                That would likely result in a fairly quick death for me or at least a surge in my required diabetes medication/insulin dose. I will save the sugar for ice cream, donuts and chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

That would likely result in a fairly quick death for me or at least a surge in my required diabetes medication/insulin dose. I will save the sugar for ice cream, donuts and chocolate.
                  aaaaaah, the holy trinity of ice cream, donuts, and chocolate ... I bow very low

Comment

Only diluted with rum it's drinkable

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      Only diluted with rum it's drinkable
                      lol ... we have a winner.
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

lol ... we have a winner.
                        I agree, rum & coke, mmmmmm

Comment