• Show
Clear All

• Milton september active 2019 chess tourney

Date: Saturday, September 7, 2019
    Location: Milton Seniors Activity Centre, 500 Childs Dr, Milton
    Time Control: 25 minutes plus 10 second increment
    Format: 5 round Swiss, CFC Active Rated
    Approx. Round Times: 10:00am, 11:30am, lunch, 2:00pm, 3:30pm, 5:00pm
    Entry Fee: $40 (pay by Aug 24); $50 (pay by Sep 5); $60 (after Sep 5 pay on site)
    Prizes: Trophies and/or cash (based on entries)
    Tournament Director: Bob Gillanders Contact Info: Gordon Gooding at miltonchess@hotmail.com for registration or enquiries
    Registrations: Gordon Gooding Register with: 1. name as seen on CFC website membership search
    2. CFC number and membership expiry date
    Look for updates on chesstalk.com 3. payment by e-transfer using contact email, NO paypal
    On site registration begins at 9am on game day, cash only.
    Registration list on post#37. Registration after 9:40am on game day may be a round one bye
    Last edited by Gordon Gooding; Tuesday, 27th August, 2019, 06:34 AM.

Hey guys, this is the tournament organizer that gave free pizza last time and it didn't come out of the entry fees either. Just saying there might be a repeat offer, possibly, stay tuned, have a great long weekend!
    Last edited by Gordon Gooding; Sunday, 30th June, 2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

And we have our first registration for Milton Open Active on Sep07, two months in advance, and it's not me!

Comment

Who prefers events with just 1 big section? Who would prefer we change to multi sectional format?

Comment

I prefer one section. Who cares if the top guns lose rating points. I've been losing rating points from under rated juniors for years. It's a shame the CFC has not realized that players have stopped playing once they allowed under rated players and paying up options. When I started you could not play up until your rating dictated a move up. We had more players joining events and our ratings were more normal. Then the CFC let players move up as a cash grab to organizers and the mayhem began. It's sort of like the flood gates were opened but no one at the CFC had the Brains to close them. The CFC has made their bed now they gotta sleep in it and players will go go go. They say memberships increased but they never say how many left. I really think the CFC stinks but I have to play to get a rating. I'm glad I'm a lifer. It make life so much easier.
          Gord who cares what players want. Run your tournament the way you want . If you cater to the lower rated players you'll get far more entries than if you cater to the elite. The elite will die by themselves. The common man will survive forever. Who pays the greatest fees in a tournament?? The lower rated players. The elite ask for free. but contribute to nothing to the tournament. So I repeat 1 section and take the points from the Elite. Long Live the Common Man. Cheer Cheer Cheer

Comment

I'm for one section in any tournament - and no class prizes - just a good number of place prizes. Chess is the only activity/sport I can think of that rewards mediocrity (U1400's winning more than GM's?). You should have to perform well to win money (in a one-section event). If you have to have class prizes - make them non-monetary.. For large events - have more rounds or use accelerated pairings.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              I'm for one section in any tournament - and no class prizes - just a good number of place prizes. Chess is the only activity/sport I can think of that rewards mediocrity (U1400's winning more than GM's?). You should have to perform well to win money (in a one-section event). If you have to have class prizes - make them non-monetary.. For large events - have more rounds or use accelerated pairings.
              I totally disagree with this argument. TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!!

Comment

Last edited by Serge Archambault; Wednesday, 4th September, 2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Wow, getting some different point of views here, much to think about. Any more arguments to present?

Comment

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer. Just a reminder that the early bird entry fee of $40 has to be received by me by Aug 24th. Time is ticking.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

I totally disagree with this argument. TOTALLY DISAGREE!!!!
                      Why do you disagree with it?

Presenting chess to class players as something they can get cash prizes out of is a travesty.

Comment

IF one pays, one has the right to play for some (reasonable, given expenses) $$$ Prizes. I`m with Bob G on this one!

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          IF one pays, one has the right to play for some (reasonable, given expenses) $$$ Prizes. I`m with Bob G on this one!

Bob A
                          Not a helpful contribution! One pays to play in a chess tournament. If one doesn't like the rules of that tournament, you have the choice of not paying. Seems to me there is room for both types of tournament and opinions.
                          Fred Harvey

Comment

Agreed Fred......variety is the spice of life.....different strokes for different folks is fine.......one size fits all is usually a disaster.

Bob A

Comment

Hi all, the first 12 players to register will have an offer of a couple slices of pizza and a can of pop/bottle of water for $4. Sorry cant offer this to everyone. A couple of entries already in.

Comment

Working...
                              X