Cycc 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or 184, if one excludes the two players (one in U14 Open, one in U10 Girls) who apparently were never present at the event.

Comment

Hello everyone, I'm one of the organizers of the 2019 CYCC and CO in Saskatchewan. We had a great time running the Canadian Youth Chess Championships! It was inspiring to meet so many bright young chess players. The 2019 Canadian Youth Chess Championships were held at the Travelodge in Regina, SK from July 6 - 10, 2019. This post is targeted towards future organizers and CFC officials. I'll be doing a more general write-up on our website (saskchess.org) in the near future.

We were pleasantly surprised to have 184 participants attend. The vast majority of families were from out of town. As you know, this is the first time the CYCC has come to Regina, and it is by far the biggest event we've ever hosted.

This event was organized exclusively through volunteer work. It is thanks to the tireless work of almost a dozen volunteers that these events ran as well as they did. We are also very happy to have the expertise of our arbiter Vadim Tsypin and his family to guide us. The children were surprisingly well behaved, and many of the parents complimented us on choice of venue and organization. The venue was excellent! We booked off the entire bottom floor of the Travelodge. I think the children had a great time at the hotel waterpark, and the adults enjoyed the great amenities and shopping within walking distance. The bughouse event at the end was spectacularly fun and crazy. Overall, I am very happy with the way this turned out.

-----

Now some people are comparing this to Quebec's record-breaking 375 kids, which is not quite a fair comparison for two reasons:

1. The population of my entire province is smaller than the population of Calgary.
      2. Many potential participants skipped the CYCC this year to go play in the World Cadets in China directly, or so I'm told.

I think that this is actually great news for future organizers! We have demonstrated that the CYCC has a very strong "base attendance", which means that you could expect these same numbers at minimum in other provinces. 180+ participants is more than enough to secure sponsorship and leverage hotel rates.

-----

I believe that these events should be held in western provinces more often. Even if they are not as well attended, you will bring attention to future CYCC events. The vast majority of scholastic chess players in MB, SK, and AB don't even know that the CYCC exists! By holding these youth events in smaller provinces, you bring awareness to the national chess scene. In my opinion, this has a long-term impact on the attendance of future CYCC events.

I would encourage organizers from other provinces to host these events. If we can do it, anyone can do it!

----

Leader Post - https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...al-competitors
      Global News - https://globalnews.ca/video/5480846/...Ec_21SRXlb81cM

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pg/QueenCityChessRegina
      Website - https://saskchess.org/2019-cycc-1

Comment

Congratulations Tom. Well done indeed. There are some very real geographic challenges in Canada - bravo for tackling it head on.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Is there any way to download some games from the event?

Comment

I am waiting for the games. They are in the mail and the tracking shows them going back and forth across the country for the last two weeks. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              I am waiting for the games. They are in the mail and the tracking shows them going back and forth across the country for the last two weeks. :-)
              This probably means your postal code was wrongly entered. The parcel is sent to the wrong post office, then sent back to the sender's post office. If the error is not spotted on, the parcel is sent again to the wrong post office, then sent back, etc. This is a loop, and it can last a long time if nobody phones Canada Post to let them know the problem.

Comment

According to the image of the sender's receipt...the postal code is correct. This morning iit arrived in Montreal (for the third time).
                Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Monday, 29th July, 2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X