Canadian Open 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open 2019

If I'm not mistaken - the original four-section Canadian Open has been changed to two sections (Open and U1800). Crosstables and pairings at http://chess-results.com/tnr454281.aspx?lan=1

Are live games available?

Is the Mike McDonald listed the tournament poker player?
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

No players above 2400, just 2 above 2200 FIDE. Looks like a record, at least I don't remember anything similar in the last 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        If I'm not mistaken - the original four-section Canadian Open has been changed to two sections (Open and U1800). Crosstables and pairings at http://chess-results.com/tnr454281.aspx?lan=1

Are live games available?
        Hi Hugh. I'm sure the organizers are disappointed by the turnout, but considering this is a provincial organization that folded 5-6 years ago, you have to give them credit for this effort. Unfortunately they don't seem to have the DGT boards.I think in future this should be one of the criteria a National event bid is ranked on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
          A report by Morgon Mills on the NL Facebook page indicated he was one and the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
            No players above 2400, just 2 above 2200 FIDE. Looks like a record, at least I don't remember anything similar in the last 15 years.
            From the CO I co-organized in a remote location (2001 Sackville, NB), I think the formula for "success" is 3 GM's, all fairly well known.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
              The one and only . I played chess for ~3 years as a kid but quit when I found poker in 2004. After retiring from poker 3 years ago I missed competing at a game and started playing chess again in December. I'm still very much a chess beginner but hoping to improve!

Comment

Last edited by Serge Archambault; Wednesday, 4th September, 2019, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

From the CO I co-organized in a remote location (2001 Sackville, NB), I think the formula for "success" is 3 GM's, all fairly well known.
                  Hi Fred,

I think you only need one star for an open event. I have had the pleasure of organizing the Quebec Open twice (thanks to the folks in charge of the FQE at those times). In 1982 we set an attendance record...the star was Nigel Short.

In 2004 I was given a 2nd opportunity...my special guest was...Viktor Korchnoi ...what a hit!

Look at this: http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/Korchnoi.htm

So what should an organizer be looking for?

Either a young up and coming star or an older fellow with a reputation who would like to visit Canada :).

A big hit (Mississauga are you listening for 2020?) would be our own GM Kevin Spraggett!

If you can make it happen, you will get a HUGE turnout!

Larry
                  Last edited by Larry Bevand; Saturday, 13th July, 2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Hello all, I'm one of the organizers of the 2019 Canadian Open in Saskatchewan. The CO is being held at the Travelodge in Regina, SK from July 12-18, 2019.

Live pairings and standings can be found here: https://chess-results.com/tnr454420....et=YES&flag=30
                    Information about the event can be found on our website: https://saskchess.org/2019-canadian-open
                    Pictures will be uploaded to our FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/QueenCityChessRegina

-----

We received a total of 91 registrations, including one GM and several FM's. The vast majority of our local participants have never had the chance to play in the Canadian Open (many didn't even know what it was). It is our honor as chess volunteers to promote chess in Saskatchewan!

The Open & U2000 sections have been merged, and the U1800 and U1600 have been merged. We have managed to guarantee our $15000 prize fund despite this! The U2000 and U1600 prizes have been changed to category prizes within their respective sections. We have a single DGT board, which displays board one in two different rooms within the hotel (not live though).

The players seem to love the venue! The playing playing hall is stunning, modern, and quiet. There are amenities and great shopping all within walking distance. We have several side events including a simul, lecture, and chess social. GM Cherniaev is a class act, and our arbiter, Vadim Tsypin is extremely efficient and thorough.

----

This will be the smallest Canadian Open in recent history; as expected. The CO is a "chess vacation" for most people, and no one vacations in SK. If only they knew how beautiful it is here during the summers. On the flip side, the prize-to-player ratio is extremely good. About one third of all participants will be walking away with a cash prize of at least $200, along with a trophy or a medal.

We held this event to promote chess in the prairies. The truth is that there exists a thriving chess culture here, but most of us are not involved in the national chess scene. It's our hope that initiatives like this might one day change that.

All the best,

-Tom

Comment

Larry - I had forgotten about those Korchnoi videos. And remember Reshevsky in the 1980 Quebec Open? The 1982 total of 523 players didn't beat the 1972 total of 744.

The smallest Canadian Open in the post-Fischer years was Edmundston NB in 1990. There were 59 players (Timoschenko was the only GM) and almost everyone won a prize. I won something like $400. $10k in guaranteed prizes and a $55 entry fee.

Crosstable: http://www.bcchesshistory.com/canop1990.html
                      All Canadian Opens with links to their crosstables: http://www.bcchesshistory.com/canopen.html

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Hi Fred,

I think you only need one star for an open event. I have had the pleasure of organizing the Quebec Open twice (thanks to the folks in charge of the FQE at those times). In 1982 we set an attendance record...the star was Nigel Short.

In 2004 I was given a 2nd opportunity...my special guest was...Viktor Korchnoi ...what a hit!

Look at this: http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/Korchnoi.htm

So what should an organizer be looking for?

Either a young up and coming star or an older fellow with a reputation who would like to visit Canada :).

A big hit (Mississauga are you listening for 2020?) would be our own GM Kevin Spraggett!

If you can make it happen, you will get a HUGE turnout!

Larry
                        Toronto and Montreal are going to attract 200+ in any case. I'm talking about a more remote location. Sackville's 169 players in 2001, will probably never be matched.

Comment

I am participating with 2 of my children (we are from Saskatchewan). The venue is nice and very spacious, rounds start on time, and the arbiter is excellent. There are a lot of nice “little touches.” For example there is a score sheet and pen waiting for you when you arrive at the table for your game. GM Chernieav is very friendly and approachable (my kids are playing in simul as I type this.) There is also a very friendly feel to the tournament which is nice especially when there are quite a few young children playing. It is too bad more people didn’t make the trip, I won’t defend the winters here (lol) but the summers in Saskatchewan are very nice.

Comment

I would have loved to have played in the Canadian Open, but the dates conflicted with Las Vegas bridge summer National, where I get half my expenses paid for. I have played in the last 2 South Saskatchewan tournaments and they have been a lot of fun. I hope to play again next year. I personally hate paying large appearance fees for Swiss tournaments as I feel players should 'earn' their money by winning top prizes. I do not think Bill Goichberg ever paid an appearance fee for a World Open.

I would like to personally thank the organizers, since as I recall it was the only bid for 2019 to host the Canadian Open. They do very well at attracting sponsors. With a guarantee of $15,000 prize fund, I am not sure why more strong players did not participate.

I also remember Kortchnoi coming to Toronto for the Toronto International, I think in 1985. I do not think that Jean Hébert has ever forgiven David Lavin for pairing him with Kortchnoi instead of me in the last round! Kortchnoi was such a treat to watch. You could just feel the energy he exerted during the game. Not to mention the cigarette smoke. It seems he did not want to adhere to the no smoking rule. I later found out, that Kortchnoi greatly wanted to visit Toronto and his appearance money was only about 1/3 what it would have been normally.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McDonald View Post

The one and only . I played chess for ~3 years as a kid but quit when I found poker in 2004. After retiring from poker 3 years ago I missed competing at a game and started playing chess again in December. I'm still very much a chess beginner but hoping to improve!
                              Wow!, Why would you retire from poker, you must be the equivalent of a strong grandmaster at poker. Also, why did you have the nickname of timex?

Comment

Working...
                              X