• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE celebrates its 95th anniversary

FIDE celebrates its 95thanniversary

July 20, 2019

From the FIDE website:

FIDE celebrates its 95th anniversary

Today, July 20th, is the 95th anniversary of the founding of FIDE, during the 8th Summer Olympics Games in Paris, 1924. Traditionally, since it was proposed by UNESCO in 1966, this date not only marks the anniversary of our organization, but also the International Chess Day. Ours is the only sport which has a special worldwide celebration day dedicated to it, showing that chess is a unique game that unites people over the globe.

This year, to celebrate International Chess Day, we launched a social media campaign under the hashtag #InternationalChessDay.

https://www.fide.com/component/conte...niversary.html

Some of the twitter postings:

(Vishy Anand) (showing his picture on the cover of a chess magazine) – An old favourite. That was how we learnt chess in my youth. Reading magazines. The best gift today. The 64 GMs in India. Happy Chess day India.

(Peter Heine Nielsen) – Chess is where I met my wife.

(Federico Marin) – When you play chess, it is almost impossible to hate someone, to have a bad thought or to remember the problems in your life.

(Carsten Hansen) (with a photo of Tal) – My brother, Bent, and I getting autographs from Mikhail Tal and Rafael Vaganian in Naestved 1985

(Magnus Carlsen) – I spend hours playing chess because I find it so much fun. The day it stops being fun is the day I give up.

(Jan Gustafsson) – As a six-year old growing up on a tiny yacht in the Mediterranean Sea, I saw chess as my only way out. Then I realized we were surrounded by water, so I just stayed inside and played chess with myself.

I have found my way off the bot since, but never a way out of chess, sacrificing everything, especially acquiring social or any other skills, to stay close to the game.

I wouldn’t trade it for any other job. Except dentist maybe.. Happy International Chess Day!

(Garry Kasparov) – Chess was my life from a very young age. It meant opportunity, competition, hard work, and joy. On International Chess Day, what does chess mean to you?

(John Hartmann) - It's #InternationalChessDay and I'm off to the @STLChessClub for work. Chess has been helped me find friends in new places and provided solace in tough times. My life has been immensely richer for it.

(Eduardo Iturrizaga) - "LIFE is like a game of chess. To win you have to make a move knowing which move to make comes with in-sight and knowledge, and by learning the lessons that are accumulated along the way. we become each and every piece within the game called LIFE". #InternationalChessDay

(Harika Dronavali) - Chess is incredible because of the unlimited combinations which it provides and the vast breadth of knowledge where one is always learning. I won my first world medal when I was 9 & from then there has been no looking back. Chess has become part of my life❣️

(Ryan Sarson) - I first started playing chess against the computer in 1982. Been losing to it ever since.

Any ChessTalkers with comments on what chess means to you?

Thanks Wayne for the post. I started another thread titled International Chess Day (hope you dont mind) My contribution: chess is a necessary spice of life.

Comment

July 20, 2019

More “What Chess Means to Me”

(Susan Polgar) - 46 years ago, I accidentally found some chess pieces in the closet. That was the day that forever changed my life as I fell in love with chess immediately & able to share my love with countless people around the world for 5 decades!

(Laurent Fressinet) – It’s very hard for me to describe why I became so passionate about chess because I have the feeling that chess chose me, not the other way around. As a kid I loved every aspect of the game, watching, analysing and first and foremost playing which always created a special feeling of happiness for me.

I have the great honor to be part of “Team Magnus” for many years and his world championship matches were incredible experiences. Now I have also the opportunity to be a commentator and sharing my passion for the game with chess lovers is also a unique experience. Great times ahead.

(Yelizaveta Orlova Aka Liza) - Thanks to chess I don’t have to “work” a day in my life here’s a photo of me in my first year of playing chess!

(Douglas Griffin) - #Chess has given me so much. Apart from its beauty, its truly international nature has given me a lifelong interest in foreign languages and foreign places. The unique history and culture of the game continue to inspire me to this day. #InternationalChessDay

(Leon Watson) - Why do I love chess? It's a lifelong activity - not quite cradle to grave, but almost. It doesn't matter how old or young you are, you can still improve. Here's my son learning the ropes at the London Chess Classic

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Internat...ssDay?src=hash

It is worth looking at this twitter thread for the photos. There is one of Levon Aronian 28 years ago, a clip of Phoebe playing Joey from Friends, many parents with their children, an absolutely gorgeous Thomas Jefferson chess set from Monticello, and a chessboard with the 64 Indian Grandmasters photos, one to each square! That is something to boast about!

Comment

Thanks Wayne. Very interesting!

Comment

July 21, 2019

More “What Chess Means to Me”(continued)

(Clement Prevost) - December 1999, I'm 10. A giant storm named Lothar hit Europe. The wind send our roof's tiles to crash around and electricity is shut off for weeks. I learned chess one night, lit by candles. The world around could catch fire, we didn't care. Thx dad #InternationalChessDay

(Àlvar Alonso Rosell) - My Dad stopped playing chess at 14 y.o. after getting 2nd in a school's championship after some guy. Later on he taught me chess to give it a try. His face of joy after me beating that guy almost 40 years later was priceless. #InternationalChessDay

(Jennifer McDonald) - Life is like a game of #Chess
          changing with each move.

~ Chinese proverb

Happy #InternationalChessDay !

(Anais) - “Avoid the crowd. Do your own thinking independently. Be the chess player, not the chess piece.”

– Ralph Charell #InternationalChessDay

(Wayne Komer) - Chess enriched my school and university studies. My interest became in collecting chess books with a view to having a varied chess library in Canada and preserving chess books and magazines for future generations.

Listening to Jan Gustafsson and Peter Svidler talking about a tournament and discussing everything else under the sun, is one of my greatest pleasures.

Comment

Working...
          X