Canadian team for the 2019 Vladimir Dvorkovich Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian team for the 2019 Vladimir Dvorkovich Cup

Canadian team for the 2019 Vladimir Dvorkovich Cup, to be held on September 22-26 in Aktobe, Kazakhstan.
    1. (Female) WFM Svitlana Demchenko, FIDE ID 14149893.
    2. (Female) Cynthia Cui, FIDE ID 2623927.
    3. (Male) CM Adam Gaisinsky, FIDE ID 2620561.
    4. (Male) Henry Zhang, FIDE ID 2620162.
    5. (Captain) IA/IO Vadim Tsypin, FIDE ID 2623463.

This is the first time I've heard of this event. Can you tell us more about it? How was the team selected? Have we sent teams before?

It appears to be a rapid and blitz team championship.

Are there not more appropriate (and closer/cheaper) events for our young players?

Comment

Sounds like a great adventure. Good Luck to participants and captain!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        This is the first time I've heard of this event. Can you tell us more about it? How was the team selected? Have we sent teams before?

Are there not more appropriate (and closer/cheaper) events for our young players?
        Hugh, I read about this event recently probably on the FIDE site. What I can say, is that this new event is not one that the CFC Youth Fund would contribute money towards. However as is evident from Vlad's post we wish the team well and expect them to do us proud !!

Fred

Comment

Canadian team for the 2019 Vladimir Dvorkovich Cup

July 30, 2019

I often see events advertised on ChessTalk designated by initials with no explanation as to what they mean – also obscure references, such as this one. It would be helpful if a sentence or two of explanation could be added for those who are not familiar with the event.

I did a few minutes on google and got this about the Dvorkovich Cup:

VLADIMIR DVORKOVICH CUP TO BE HELD IN AKTOBE

From 22nd to 26th September 2019, the international team youth chess tournament, the “Vladimir Dvorkovich Cup” will be held in Aktobe.

Aktobe was not chosen as a venue by chance – it was to this city that Vladimir Yakovlevich was sent by the authorities after graduating from the Taganrog Pedagogical Institute.

The cup will consist of two tournaments:

– Rapid Team Tournament
          – Personal blitz tournament

The tournament will be attended by 10 teams from 10 countries, including the best teams in the up to 16 age-category from Europe, America, Asia and Africa.

This year competing for the Dvorkovich Cup are: Uzbekistan, India, China. Belarus, Iran, USA, Algeria, Kazakhstan, Russia, Ukraine.

Each team consists of 4 athletes (2 boys + 2 girls) no more than 17 years old, and also one captain.

Competitions will be held in a 9 rounds round-robin with a FIDE rating calculation.
          Teams and competitors are awarded with cups, medals and diplomas.

The prize fund of the Dvorkovich Cup will be $ 16,000

Tournament schedule:

September 22 - arrival of participants
          September 23, 20:00 - technical meeting
          September 23, 11:00 - opening ceremony
          September 23, 12:00 - rounds 1 to 5 (Rapid)
          September 24, 11:00 - rounds 6 to 9 (Rapid)
          September 25, 11:00 - rounds 1 to 9 (blitz)
          September 25, 6:00 pm - closing ceremony

https://kazchess.kz/en/vladimir_dvorkovich_cup_2019/

Dvorkovich Vladimir Yakovlevich (30.12.1937)

Dvorkovich-Vladimir-YakovleRussian International Arbiter, Executive Secretary of the Soviet Federation (1982-1984), Chairman of the board of Arbiters of the Russian Chess Federation. Statistician and journalist. A member of the Garry Kasparov’s team during world championship matches vs. Anatoly Karpov, he developed also a new system of rating calculation, which was used by PCA. Vladimir Dvorkovich was the father of Arkady Dvorkovich, the Assistant to the President of the Russian Federation and the Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the Russian chess federation. Author of Справочник шахматиста (1983) and Владас Микенас (1988).

https://www.thechesspedia.com/dvorko...r-yakovlevich/

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

Hugh, I read about this event recently probably on the FIDE site. What I can say, is that this new event is not one that the CFC Youth Fund would contribute money towards. However as is evident from Vlad's post we wish the team well and expect them to do us proud !!

Fred
            I did promise to contribute for shirts though someone has to organize it. No other payments from the CFC, though the organizers are rolling out the red carpet. This was not something we were even aware of a week ago. Vadim Tsypin managed to get us the invite. With the event sandwiched very close to WYCC a few people calculated the jet lag involved and had to decline.

Comment

I found out something significant. The place Aktobe has chess heritage and chess cultural significance. The event in honour of Arkady Dvorkovich's father.

Comment

I know funds are limited and I understand that the CFC isn’t contributing. But I would sure support an extra dollar or two per tournament entry fee to send young players to international events.

Comment

The organizers are paying all expenses including flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

Its a brand new tournament. We received a notification of the event but no indication that we would be invited. Vadim Tsypin managed to get us an invitation but it required very fast action. I appointed Vadim team captain and then he proceeded to contact eligible players based on CFC/FQE rating and suitable age. Unlike many tournaments which use age on Jan 1st, the event used age as of the tournament dates.

Henry Zhang actually was not on the initial list for contact even though his rating would have put him fairly high on the list once the people who declined and who we didn't get replies from were struck off the list. Vadim contacted me and asked me if I knew of anyone else we could ask (otherwise we would have had to cancel with two girls and one young man willing to go. Henry came to mind immediately.

There were some slightly unusual requirements (a passport active through a certain date) and the non-standard age rules and also the ability to travel on one's own.

For anyone that missed out, please make sure that the CFC has up to date contact information as we often get very late breaking opportunities like this one with very little time to make a decision.

Comment

Results

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-to...cup-2019-rapid

Standings

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 TB1 TB2 TB3 TB4
                      1 Belarus * 2 2½ 2½ 3 2½ 4 3½ 2½ 4 17 26,5 0 141,0
                      2 China 2 * 1½ 2 3½ 3 2½ 4 3 3½ 14 25,0 0 106,5
                      3 Russia 1½ 2½ * 1½ 3½ 1½ 3½ 3 3½ 4 12 24,5 0 90,0
                      4 Kazakhstan 1½ 2 2½ * 0 4 3 2 3 3½ 12 21,5 0 92,5
                      5 Iran 1 ½ ½ 4 * 3 2½ 3 3½ 3 12 21,0 0 83,0
                      6 Armenia 1½ 1 2½ 0 1 * 1 4 2½ 4 8 17,5 0 52,0
                      7 Azerbaijan 0 1½ ½ 1 1½ 3 * 3 2½ 3½ 8 16,5 0 45,0