X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Record: Trump and the 2016 World Chess Championship, New York City

From: "The Mueller Report" (Washington Post, 2019, pp. 488-489):
    Q to President Trump:
    (Contacts with Russia and Russia-Related Issues During the Transition)
    Were you asked to attend the World Chess Championship gala on November 10, 2016? If yes, who asked you to attend, when were you asked, and what were you told about why your presence was requested?
    i) Did you attend any part of the event? If yes, describe any interactions you had with any Russians or representatives of the Russian government at the event.
    DJT response:
    I do not remember having been asked to attend the World Chess Championship gala, and I did not attend the event. During the course of preparing to respond to these questions, I have become aware of documents indicating that in March of 2016, the president of the World Chess Federation invited the Trump Organization to host, at Trump Tower, the 2016 World Chess Championship Match to be held in New York in November 2016. I have also become aware that in November 2016, there were press inquiries to my staff regarding whether I had plans to attend the tournament, which was not being held at Trump Tower. I understand that these documents have already been provided to you. DJT, President of the United States, Washington, Nov. 20, 2018 (signed)
Working...
X