Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BILL EVANS - celebration of life? 1958 - 2019

https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2601796

Today, I heard from the hospital in Toronto and we were shocked to learn of Bill Evan's imminent passing.

Today is Bill Evan's Birthday - August 23rd, 1958 and 61 years later it is time to say goodbye!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill Evans.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	201366

He is a special individual...always walked through life to the beat of his own drummer... I never really knew him...but... I knew one of his ex ladies...she had nothing but good things to say about him.

RIP young man!

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Bevand; Friday, 23rd August, 2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Bill has been a strong chess player, a charming and friendly fellow, and an independent mind, for his whole life.
      I remember him first from the 1970s era Ontario HS Championships held at New College, University of Toronto; those events sometimes topped 300 players in the pre-CMA era.
      A marathon blitz session between us ended in his favour, with a few dollars changing hands! But he didn't gloat, instead providing me with some practical ideas to improve my own chess!
      Bill will be missed by all who were privileged to know him.
      Rest In Peace, my friend.
      Frank Dixon, NTD, Kingston

Comment

Bill Evans and I were juniors together 44 years ago or thereabouts. That was well before youth championships.He beat me in our first game and I seemed over the years always to be evening the score. We had an intense rivalry that lasted many years. He was a good guy to analyse with, always wanting to find the pointy moves. And was always the rational mind in the party setting. That picture above is vintage Bill in one of his favorite settings, either having just finished or having ready a thought provoking reply. Its how I choose to remember him.

Comment

This is shocking news. We grew up going to the Central Y in Toronto to play in 5 minute tournaments. Bill always played the Pirc and English and always got good positions against me. Bill was also a great tennis player in his youth. Always a nice guy and always a smile on his face. So sad. Rest in Peace 'Mr. Bill'

Comment

Ann Perrault - 10 mins · Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill Evans - Hospital.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	201383

Bill took his last breath last night...in the comforting presence of Beth and David. Goodbye sweet brother. — with Bill Evans.

REST IN PEACE - Bill Evans - our sincere condolences from the Dutton Family - Mark and Christine Dutton and Warren Dutton ❤️
            Attached Files

Comment

I am saddened to hear about Bill. A gentleman, who I always enjoyed talking with.

One anecdote comes to mind, that no doubt would bring a smile to Bill. Bryon Nickoloff and I had been up for over 24 hours at his father's basement studying chess, with a diet of soda crackers and coffee. We then went to Stephen Boyd's apartment to check on things before finding a bed for a well needed long sleep. However, upon arrival (around midnight), the phone rang, which Bryon answered...it was Bill Evans. I overheard Bryon say "oh, ok, sure, we will see you soon". After he hung up, Bryon said it was Bill Evans and he has invited us to the Brunswick House for beer (his treat) and conversation. I replied we were too tired to go and needed to sleep. Bryon quipped "beer will perk us up". So, off we went. Of course it was quite late, and as soon as we sat down with Bill, the waitress came by for our order, and, it was last call. Bryon quickly ordered "36 draft beer and pretzels". The waitress was surprised and asked Bryon to repeat his order, which he did...he also finished them...looking over at Bill he had a wide smile, and it was obvious we were providing the camaraderie he sought that evening.

Take care my friend.

Brian

Comment

Bill enthusiastically expressed his love of beauty in chess. He loved spending time mulling over chess problems. He reminds me of the Saturday ritual at the Y club when someone would set up the weekly newspaper column's chess problem and players would take turns announcing that they've solved it without actually revealing the moves. A long time ago there used to be problem composing and solving competitions. These days it seems to be toss-away beauty in a puzzle rush.

Comment

I too was lucky to enjoy some time together with Bill and Bryon Nickoloff. I was staying with Nick and Heather back in the mid 1990s for one of the Toronto tournaments, and after the first day of games Bill came back with us for some light refreshments. At some point I retired for the evening, and so did Heather. When we woke up the next morning there were Bill and Bryon still refreshing themselves while analyzing chess games. I ran out for some coffees and then we all went to the tournament hall for the next day of games. Neither of them had slept a wink, yet they were both completely in command of their senses and fully energetic. That second evening Bill once again returned with us and finally after a second evening of light refreshments both he and Nick slept for at least an hour before getting back to their chess analysis. Bill was a very warm-hearted soul with a wry sense of humour. I have many fond memories of the times we shared. No doubt he and Nick are once again enjoying some refreshments and chess analysis now. I look forward to joining them at some point.

Comment

I checked Bill's Fide record and he played in two internationals in Belgrade and Novi Sad in the last 6 months. Bill was a real tournament player til the end!

Comment

I met Bill at the North Bay tournament in 1997. We shared a dorm room. He was pleasant, easy going and shared with me, who was just taking up chess again after almost 20 years, how he learns a new opening. He played over about 100 games to get the feel of the opening, then studied the theory so it made sense after seeing all those games. RIP Bill. A genuinely nice guy.
                      Last edited by Brian MacLeod; Sunday, 5th February, 2023, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I got to know Bill quite well. I liked him, we shared beers and joints many times, after a Wednesday evening 15min tourney evening at the BGC. I suppose I would describe him as a 'straight shooter' Quiet, serious, and thoughtful. He didn't have much, and |I think suffered because of that, but he didn't talk about it much but he would share what he had with me when we got together, He could tell when I had problems, but didn't say anything, just played it cool and stuck with me.

One thing that Bill did for the Bayview Games Club I think never became known, besides myself; He made made a very nice contribution to the website that I kept up for Vlad, working long and hard to set up and configure some kind of interactive chess software that was quite interesting. Probably I was the only one who looked at it, and we fooled around a bit with it. He did a good job, even though it was just a hobby, At the time he was a roofer. I suppose I could regret not keeping a copy of the stuff, but of course there is no way for us to know what the future might bring.

R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                        X