A thought experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thought experiment

The question came up in the AGM about the idea that FIDE was going to give 60000 Euros to the CFC. It is not a totally outlandish idea as the discussion has come up though not in that particular amount. Many federations do already get significant sums of money from FIDE to attend FIDE meetings and Olympiads. The CFC got some small amount that did not fully cover the cost of sending our FIDE delegate, Hal Bond, but every little bit helps. I think Ireland and Scotland got quite a bit more.

If we did get 60,000 Euros or $87,782.81 CAD from FIDE or some other source with the understanding that we should use it to advance chess in Canada, how would you spend it? Suppose you would get a similar amount every year from now into eternity. What projects should be undertaken? Suppose that you had to provide a report to FIDE or the donor at the end of the year showing forward progress (more children and adults playing chess, more titled players - FMs, WFMs, IMs, WIMs, GMs, WGMs, more FIDE games played). How would more money help us move the ball forward as far as chess in Canada and Canadian Chess in the World is concerned?

How would your answer change if the amount was 30,000 Euros or 100,000 Euros?

$2,000 per player for travel to go to a fide title opportunity event or official inter zonal championship, limit of one event to each player each year. Also, smaller amounts for players from the Maritimes and out West to travel to a national title event in Ontario or Quebec.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
      $2,000 per player for travel to go to a fide title opportunity event or official inter zonal championship, limit of one event to each player each year. Also, smaller amounts for players from the Maritimes and out West to travel to a national title event in Ontario or Quebec.
      We already do some of that for some of the Pan Am events or at least the support is enough for a plane ticket and the organizers usually pay for hotel and food. If the deliverable from FIDE's point of view is more IM and GM titles or norms for Canadians, I am not sure that limiting the number of opportunities would be a good strategy. There are usually half a dozen or so candidates who are close at any one time.
      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 1st September, 2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Including FM, WIM and WGM title chances, Junior and Senior teams, there could be 40 worthy players a year to use up $80,000. But could increase to 2 or 3 or 4 trips a year for those already with one IM or GM norm, to finish the title. And a dozen far-away players to travel to the Canadian Closed, Canadian Junior or Canadian Women's Zonal or other Canadian norm round-robin.

Comment

The FQE gets a similar amount already from the Quebec government. Most of it goes to hiring permanent staff. Would the CFC be permitted to use any of that money for staffing and office space?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            Including FM, WIM and WGM title chances, Junior and Senior teams, there could be 40 worthy players a year to use up $80,000. But could increase to 2 or 3 or 4 trips a year for those already with one IM or GM norm, to finish the title. And a dozen far-away players to travel to the Canadian Closed, Canadian Junior or Canadian Women's Zonal or other Canadian norm round-robin.
            Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            The FQE gets a similar amount already from the Quebec government. Most of it goes to hiring permanent staff. Would the CFC be permitted to use any of that money for staffing and office space?

I doubt that FM titles would be a factor. I suspect that WIM and WGM titles would also count. I don't think that salaries and office space would help us and in fact would probably eat up all the money and leave us with no deliverables to justify getting the money the following year.

I think training camps and coaches for top players and top juniors, Some tournaments. When you start putting together a plan the money disappears pretty quickly..

Comment

We need more people on the east coast to simply play the game on a regular basis. Even at very low levels, developing small clubs to play on a regular basis is an uphill battle. As an organizer of several small town clubs in Nova Scotia, I need promotion, and access to equipment for a good price. Awarding more titles in the 2200+ realm may be a priority for the CFC but from the grassroots perspective, it is hardly a consideration. Canada needs more players period. Ascension up the chess ranks and the awards to come with it is not going to look after itself, but it is not a priority. IMHO. We want to broaden our base outside of the largest population centres. The question is interesting and we have been pondering for some time what more money could do for us. Our (provincial) share of the current number would be around $2,500 which would not do miracles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Anderson View Post
                We need more people on the east coast to simply play the game on a regular basis. Even at very low levels, developing small clubs to play on a regular basis is an uphill battle. As an organizer of several small town clubs in Nova Scotia, I need promotion, and access to equipment for a good price. Awarding more titles in the 2200+ realm may be a priority for the CFC but from the grassroots perspective, it is hardly a consideration. Canada needs more players period. Ascension up the chess ranks and the awards to come with it is not going to look after itself, but it is not a priority. IMHO. We want to broaden our base outside of the largest population centres. The question is interesting and we have been pondering for some time what more money could do for us. Our (provincial) share of the current number would be around $2,500 which would not do miracles.
                I hope you were able to take advantage of the clock and electronic board deal from DGT which the CMA administered for the CFC. I am not sure when the next such deal will be possible but it will come up again. When we were talking with FIDE about sponsorship that was one of the mechanisms that they talked about to leverage their investments (giving access to inexpensive equipment),

Comment

Yes. We did take advantage of the DGT deal as administered by the CMA and we were very happy to do so. However, the deal came with certain strings attached which limited the numbers among us who could qualify. I was able to contribute personally to the supplies of the provincial association and would do so again. I hope this question is responded to by a large number of people to see how they feel about what money could do for chess in Canada and for their own regions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Anderson View Post
                    Yes. We did take advantage of the DGT deal as administered by the CMA and we were very happy to do so. However, the deal came with certain strings attached which limited the numbers among us who could qualify. I was able to contribute personally to the supplies of the provincial association and would do so again. I hope this question is responded to by a large number of people to see how they feel about what money could do for chess in Canada and for their own regions.
                    I posted a similar thread on the CFC board which is also receiving responses and ideas from the posters.

Comment

Money all by itself is not necessarily a solution to all problems faced by chess in Canada. If chess were suddenly funded by the government to the same extent as some other sports are funded then we might even have a bigger "problem" than how to spend $87,000 Canadian. Funding for chess clubs would probably be something that FIDE would like. Chess in the schools and scholastic events would probably be another. Building infrastructure with more arbiters, organizers and facilities where tournaments could be held would be other initiatives that might be part of a plan of attack for marketing and expanding chess.
                      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 1st September, 2019, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Seems to me that to grow any activity you need the stars, the role models. So anything that helps develop new gm's that are players at the world level will attract the press, the interest, and ultimately the players. Other revenue will follow. Probably not what many posters will agree with, but it is what works.
                        Fred Harvey

Comment

Sorry, but FIDE is utterly corrupt and I would not accept their money.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Harvey View Post
                            Seems to me that to grow any activity you need the stars, the role models. So anything that helps develop new gm's that are players at the world level will attract the press, the interest, and ultimately the players. Other revenue will follow. Probably not what many posters will agree with, but it is what works.
                            Its also what FIDE would be looking for, at least in part.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                              Sorry, but FIDE is utterly corrupt and I would not accept their money.
                              FIDE has always had problems but to say that they are utterly corrupt is way over the top. Certainly the new administration has been making strides towards transforming FIDE into a more professionally organized federation. There are still holdovers of the previous administrations and we have had some issues but the number of them and the reasonableness at the top when they are brought to the attention of leadership is markedly improved.

Comment

Working...
                              X