X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECF Chess Book of the Year – Short List

ECF Chess Book of the Year – Short List

September 3, 2019

The English Chess Federation produces a short-list of the Book of the Year annually. The books have to be published in English during the year. They are varied but of excellent quality. I have given the contenders and then, the winner of book of the year.

If you are intending to augment your chess library or gift a friend, this is an excellent set of lists to choose from. A quick count tells me that I own 50% of the books on the list.

The original short-lists gave reasons for the selection of each book. You can find them by using the SEARCH feature at the ECF home page at:

https://www.englishchess.org.uk

I have left in the price of each volume in British pounds. The conversion to the Canadian dollar has varied greatly over the years but a rough equivalent, today is:

1 British pound equals 1.6 Canadian dollar

These are the lists for the last ten years.

Checkmate! The Love Story of Mikhail Tal and Sally Landau
    Sally Landau
    Elk and Ruby Publishing House, paperback pp223, £19.99

Emanuel Lasker
    Forster, Negele, Tischbierek (editors)
    Exzelsior Verlag, hardback pp450, £54.95

Game Changer
    Matthew Sadler and Natasha Regan
    New in Chess, paperback pp415, £19.95

Practical Chess Beauty
    Yochanan Afek
    Quality Chess, hardback pp464, £26.50

Alekhine’s Odessa Secrets: Chess, War and Revolution
    Sergei Tkachenko, Elk and Ruby Publishing House, paperback, pp213, £19.99

Carlsen vs Kajarkin World Chess Championship 2016
    Lev Alburt and Jon Crumiller, Chess Information and Research Centre, paperback, pp336, £22.50

Small Steps to Giant Improvement
    Sam Shankland, Quality Chess, hardback, pp 331, £23.99

Under the Surface
    Jan Markos, Quality Chess, hardback, pp276, £23.99

King’s Indian Warfare! by Ilya Smirin
    Quality Chess pp352 hard back £24.99, paperback £20.99

My Secrets in the Ruy Lopez by Lajos Portisch
    Gambit pp159 paperback £16.99

Thinking Inside the Box by Jacob Aagaard
    Quality Chess pp407 hard back £23.99

Timman’s Titans by Jan Timman
    New in Chess pp332 paperback £23.95

Chess for Life
    Matthew Sadler, Natasha Regan pp222 Gambit £15.99

Ignaz Kolisch – The Life and Chess Career
    Fabrizio Zavatarelli pp382 McFarland £54.00

Fundamental Checkmates
    Antonio Gude pp382 £19.99

Vladimir Tukmakov Risk and Bluff in Chess
    pp224 New in Chess £23.00

Chess Structures – A Grandmaster Guide
    Mauricio Flores Rios Quality Chess pp464 £21.95

Garry Kasparov Part III: 1993 – 2000
    Garry Kasparov Everyman pp501 £30.00

Liquidation on the Chess Board
    Joel Benjamin New in Chess pp254 £16.95

Positional Decision Making in Chess
    Boris Gelfand Quality Chess pp284 £23.99

Aron Nimzowitsch 1928 – 1935 Annotated Games and Essays
    Rudolf Reinhardt (Ed) New in Chess £29.95

Mikhail Botvinnik The Life and Games of a World Chess Champion
    Andrew Soltis McFarland £29.99

Petrosian Move by Move
    Thomas Engqvist Everyman Chess £19.99

Sacrifice and the Initiative in Chess
    Ivan Sokolov New in Chess £21.95

Judit Polgar – How I Beat Fischer’s Record
    Judit Polgar
    Quality Chess pp 383 £19.99

Modern Chess Preparation
    Vladimir Tukmakov
    New in Chess pp 286 £19.95

Study Chess with Matthew Sadler
    Matthew Sadler
    Everyman Chess pp140 £15.99

The Magic Tactics of Mikhail Tal
    Karsten Muller & Raymund Stolze
    New in Chess pp332 £21.95

Advanced Chess Tactics
    Lev Psakhis Quality Chess pp 365
    £24.99 hardback, £20.99 softback

Fighting Chess with Magnus Carlsen
    Adrian Mikhalchisin & Oleg Stetsko Edition Olms pp 280
    £19.99 softback

Gary Kasparov on Garry Kasparov Part 1:1973- 1985
    Everyman pp 520 £30 hardback

Move First, Think Later
    Willy Hendriks New in Chess pp254 £18.99 softback

Chess Lessons
    Vladimir Popov
    Quality Chess pp 256 £27.99 hardback

Correspondence Chess in Britain and Ireland 1824-1987
    Tim Harding
    McFarland pp433 £34.95

Nunn’s Chess Endings Volume 2
    John Nunn
    Gambit pp351 £17.99

The Joys of Chess
    Christian Hesse
    New in Chess pp 432 £29.90

Attacking Manuals 1 and 2
    Jacob Aagaard
    Quality Chess pp 260
    Volume 1 £23.99, pp 462 Volume 2 £23.99.

Champions of the New Millennium
    Lubomir Ftacnik, Danny Kopec, Walter Browne
    Quality Chess pp 449
    £19.99

Chess Duels – My Games with the World Champions
    Yasser Seirawan
    Everyman Chess pp 425
    £20.00

Nunn’s Chess Endings Volume 1
    John Nunn pp319 Gambit
    £17.99

The Book of the Year

2018 – Under the Surface by Jan Markos
    2017 Timman’s Titans by Jan Timman
    2016 – Chess for Life by Matthew Sadler and Natasha Regan
    2015 – Positional Decision Making in Chess by Boris Gelfand
    2014 – Mikhail Botvinnik – The Life and Games of a World Chess Champion by Andrew Soltis
    2013 – How I Beat Fischer’s Record by Judit Polgar
    2012 – Move First Think Later by Willy Hendriks
    2011- Nunn’s Chess Endings – John Nunn
    2010 – Attacking Chess Volumes 1&2 by Jacob Aagaard

_________

This is the first book from the list that I don’t have and which I shall buy:

Under the Surface

Jan Markos, Quality Chess, hardback, pp276, £23.99

Markos has not written a standard text book, rather an exploration of the other factors that affect chess play. A sample of the chapter headings give an impression of his unusual approach – ‘Anatoly’s billiard balls’, ‘What Rybka couldn’t tell’, ‘Understanding the Beast’ and so on. Markos writes in an original way bringing in applicable concepts from the none chess world. There are four fascinating chapters on computer chess. All in all players of every level will find something original or instructive in this book.
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Tuesday, 3rd September, 2019, 02:35 PM.

September 5, 2019

Under the Surface by Jan Markos

I have just received my copy of this book and looked at a few reviews. The title is explained in this paragraph in his Preface:

“It was then I learned that the significant difference between a club player and a professional is not that the grandmaster can see much further, or that he calculates much more accurately or faster. This might all be true, but the significant difference can be found elsewhere. Grandmasters can see deeper. And this book invites you to study the depth of chess. It invites you beneath the surface. I would like to show you how a strong player perceives chess, what he focuses on, and how he thinks about a position. Understanding is pure happiness, and I would like to share this happiness with you.

I write mostly about phenomena I haven’t seen discussed in chess literature before, but which I consider to be important. These phenomena also require new terminology, new words. That’s why you are going to read about a magnetic skin made of pawns, bishops as billiard balls and a freezer for storing tactical motifs. I was looking for metaphors that would be as precise as possible and that would be easy to remember. At the end of the book, there is a glossary of these new expressions.”

There is a review which compares Markos to Nimzowitsch:

Under the surface is a book about how to think about chess, and it is quite clear that Markos has been inspired by Nimzowitsch when he wrote it. One could argue that this book is a continuation or development of My system; the books are quite similar, both in terms of writing style and content. Markos explains many of the same ideas as in My system, but he covers more ground. The 33 (!) chapters of the book are divided into seven sections.

https://patzersreview.blogspot.com/2...r-surface.html

In a Chapter on Chess and Statistics (Chapter 31), he has tables on the frequency of types of endgames, the relationship of endgames in openings, openings and % of points scored in them.

Other comments:

- The idea to understand knights by looking at knight-less positions (ch. 9) never crossed my mind; the observations that weakness tend to bring more weaknesses (ch. 3) and computer-time is different from human-time (ch. 29) were also eye-openers.

- This book presents useful concepts that can arise in any phase of the game and appears as a large collection of chess lessons that the author learned from other chess players or from his own games. Its style is close to FIDE Master Steve Giddins’ book 50 Essential Chess Lessons in that they are both heavy in prose and have just enough concrete analysis to illustrate the topic at hand. I find the lessons very significant, and while it is less demanding to study than variation heavy-books, it never passes off as a light or trivial material. My study sessions with it were always eye-opening, and it one of the few books that I was able to work on from cover to cover, and without touching any other book in between. If the author could improve it, however, it’s that more games be added to illustrate his concepts. Seeing concepts and ideas work is the most enjoyable attribute of this book, and there’s some lack with just two or three games to illustrate a concept. I didn’t have enough of the good thing!

_________

Jan Markos is a grandmaster and former European Under-16 Champion. He has won the Slovakian Championship twice and played for Slovakia at six Olympiads. He lives in Bratislava with his wife and two children.

Comment

October 2, 2019

The Winner

Game Changer by Matthew Sadler & Natasha Regan

From the English Chess website:

The choice this year fell between two contrasting volumes: a fascinating history of one of the greatest world champions Emanuel Lasker, (publisher Excelsior Verlag) and a book dealing with the highly contemporary subject of Artificial Intelligence, not only in chess, but also in wider society. The latter was the unanimous choice of the judges –

The two energetic authors complement each other very well (they won the BOY 2016 with Chess for Life) and in this new book have explored in detail the new software AlphaZero (AZ), which is making such an impact on the chess world. The origins of AZ are remarkable – the moves of chess were fed into a powerful computer which then played millions of games against itself in the process learning the intricacies of the game, and eventually it became stronger than any other player, human or computer in the world.

The wider implications of this development in the field of artificial intelligence are considered by Garry Kasparov and Demis Hassabis, the inspiration behind AZ. Can AZ’s playing and learning be used for other, wider applications? Hassabis certainly thinks so.

The authors had the opportunity to understand the chess approach of AZ and explore how it played in a series of games against Stockfish, one of the best human designed computer chess-playing programs. AZ won convincingly. Sadler looked at AZ’s games and found a unique style of play with many distinctive features, for example, piece activity, the initiative even at the cost of material and going after the enemy king, are just a few. Not unlike the young Tal perhaps, but more soundly based.

Chess players will find a splendid collection of games with many comparing AZ with players and games of the past. Very readable, there is nothing in the book that cannot be understood or enjoyed. The book is beautifully presented by New in Chess and is excellent value.

The ultimate accolade came from Carlsen who said that AZ had influenced his approach to chess. Game Changer may also influence yours.

— Ray Edwards, Julian Farrand, Sean Marsh – 1st October 2019

https://www.englishchess.org.uk/ecf-...the-year-2019/

Comment

Working...
      X